www.recumbents.com - XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2017 :  15:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I fixed the seat flex...

Edited by - ShelGame on 06/03/2017 15:05:36
Go to Top of Page

Patinero
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2017 :  18:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any problem with spongy brakes do to air bubbles building when the levers are mounted on a vertical position..??

Ps: very nice job, the bracing and specially the sleeves and gussets are very nicely done, thanks for sharing your wonderful work..
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2017 :  06:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patinero

Any problem with spongy brakes do to air bubbles building when the levers are mounted on a vertical position..??

Ps: very nice job, the bracing and specially the sleeves and gussets are very nicely done, thanks for sharing your wonderful work..

Not so far. Of course, I have to remove the levers and hold them in a horizontal position to bleed them. But, once bled, I put them back on in this position and all is fine.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2017 :  13:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another short ride today. It's much better. I can certainly feel the increased stiffness when pedaling. And, it is more stable handling now, too. Not 100% 'tame', though. I t still wants to go one way or the other when I lighten up my grip. But, it is better. I think at this point, I just need more time on it.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  18:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have many more rides on this bike now. Very happy with the handling.

But, I'm wondering about my fit. I think I have about the right leg extension, but my knees seem to ache a bit after 10-15 minutes. Especially my left knee.

This is also the first time I've used clipless pedals. I Have the cleats clipping in basically straight up. Is this correct? What is the best way to setup the cleat position?

I think my seat position is about right. My knees are not over-extended or going full straight.
Go to Top of Page

Johnsfwdbent
recumbent enthusiast

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  18:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a starting point put your barefoot heel on the pedal with your knee fully extended.
Now sit on a counter and hang your feet off the counter, are your toes pointed straight or out ward a little
(Mine are out a little). Ok now this is the angle for your clips on your shoes.
Also put your clips as close to the center of the shoe as possible so your calves do less work.
This is what works for me!
Good luck,
John
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  18:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  19:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnsfwdbent

For a starting point put your barefoot heel on the pedal with your knee fully extended.
Now sit on a counter and hang your feet off the counter, are your toes pointed straight or out ward a little
(Mine are out a little). Ok now this is the angle for your clips on your shoes.
Also put your clips as close to the center of the shoe as possible so your calves do less work.
This is what works for me!
Good luck,
John

How do you mean by 'center of the shoe'? Left/right or up/down? I'm assuming up/down?
Go to Top of Page

Johnsfwdbent
recumbent enthusiast

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  22:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up and down the shoe. Side to side is your preference, or towards the inside (near the big toes) if you need more thigh clearance.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  05:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using your guide, the seat was about an inch too far away. Moving it definitely helped. Feels more powerful now, and using slightly different muscles. No knee pain.

Actually, it feels a little too close to me. But, that's maybe because I've been too far away for too many miles. I'll give it several miles like this before I try moving back a little.

My cleats were already basically where my feet hang. At least, within the float of the SPD's. I think I can still move it down on the shoe, though. I'll try that next.
Go to Top of Page

Johnsfwdbent
recumbent enthusiast

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  14:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction! No knee pain means you are real close to dialed in!
Good job!!
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  15:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I haven't worked hard enough on tuning the motor. That'll have to be the focus for the rest of the season.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2017 :  07:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last minute fixes and updates today before the Waterford HPRA:

New 700c x 451 wheels and tires (28mm front and 25mm rear Panaracers); new rear cassette (13-26 from 11-34 Megarange); new KMC X9sl chain to go with the new sprockets (not that the chain was remotely worn, but the x9 is a little lighter and shifts smoother; plus the x8 is going on my wife's Stratus); fitting the Camelback bladder to the back of the seat; and adding number plate tabs. Whew. Then a test ride is in order. I haven't ridden on tires this skinny in a long time.

Stayed up late last night, only have the number plate to finish this morning...
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  09:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, staying up half the night working on the bike you built? You are a real hpv racer, now! Good luck at the races!
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  15:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not such a great race report, I'm afraid. I dropped out of the 1hr TT when my calves cramped up. I stopped to try and stretch them out, only to then have my shins cramp up.

Did better in the hillclimb and coastdown later on.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  15:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang in there. It's a beautiful venue with more fun tomorrow(right?).
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  18:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Drinking lots of electrolyte water tonight. Yum.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  11:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a much better day today. No cramps. My calves still hurt, though, for yesterdays.

I ended up 9th overall in stock. Not bad I guess for my first time. But, the motor needs work.

No problems really with the bike at all. I had to tighten my front headset this morning, and my Camelback bladder needs a new home. The rear tire rubs on it over the multitude of bumps at Waterford. Oh, and my seat moved back a little bit on the 200ft spring. No other issues at all. Other than the previously mentioned lack of motor.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  04:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw your picture on Jo Koga's post and you looked real good. Now, ride ride ride.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  05:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Thom. That's the first pic I've seen of me on the bike in a good profile. Any critiques of my riding or arm position? With the water bottle out of the way, I can (and will eventually) drop the upper seat ~1.5" more.

Edited by - ShelGame on 06/26/2017 07:44:39
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  06:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the design you have you look real good. As you lean the seat back your arms will get straighter, which is good. Keep training, that's the key.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  08:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also,disk that back wheel.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  08:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, it's on the list.

Go to Top of Page

nickyfitz
Starting Member

France
37 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  11:44:23  Show Profile  Visit nickyfitz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob

The bike looks great! I know it's taken you quite a while to get it all sorted, so well done for all the hard work.

Keep those elbows tucked in and change the angle of your helmet (and/or remove the visor) to make it more aero. Then just keep up the training as Thom says and you'll soon be really flying.

Good luck

Nick
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2017 :  11:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for paint...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page