www.recumbents.com - XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  19:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the front half is stuck together. Not finished yet. The upper rear half of the main tube moved. Actually, quite a lot. maybe a quarter inch. So, I need to straighten that tube before I finish brazing it all up. I should have brazed the rear vertical first instead of the front.

Overall, not bad fillets, I think.

Edited by - ShelGame on 01/27/2016 19:19:45
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  19:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I noticed how much the rear upper 1.5" tube had moved, I stopped brazing to think it over. But, I had only brazed the 'up' side (from my jig) at that point. I relaized that at least some of the reason it pulled out so much, was because it was brazed only on one side. So, tonight I brazed the other side. That brought it mostly back into line.

I need to knock off some flux to really know how far out it is. But, it seems to be less than an eighth inch out now. I still haven't finished the rear vertical tube. It's just tacked in until I make sure the frame is all square.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6087 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  19:53:14  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I usually tack a tube in several locations with a small amount of braze, then check to see if its lined up before finishing the joint.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  06:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I intended to do that, too. It was so much fun I got carried away...
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  08:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent start on your brazing. Remember, how perfectly straight you get the basic frame only matters visually. You don't want it all crooked looking. But, it is how well centered and aligned the wheels, fork, seat, and BB are that determines how well it rides.
Because I build using a steel frame jig I have been tempted to build a super crooked, twisted frame, but properly align the wheels, fork, bb, and seat just to confuse people. It would look terrible, but ride properly. When Cannondale first started building bikes one of the claims was how perfectly aligned their frames were. They achived this by machining critical features AFTER welding and heat treat. You could look at the headtubes and bb shells and see evidence of how the frame wasn't perect. But you'd never see it once assembled.
So don't sweat the insignificant, but do sweat the alignment. Keep up the good work and you'll be riding soon.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  08:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

Actually, that sounds like a fun bike.

If it's only out an eighth of an inch or so, I probably won't sweat it. I can adjust for that when I install the rear stays. I was alarmed when it was like 3/8". That's hard to compensate for with the stays.

I've been shopping for 8020 extrusions the past few days. I think I'll build a proper jig for the next frame(s).
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  05:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished up brazing the front half of the frame last night - except for the rear vertical brace (and the BB). It looks like the 'seat tube' is still out about 3/8". I think I'll cut the rear vertical brace tacks and try to tweak the tube before I finish that section. It doesn't seem like much, and I could probably compensate with the rear stays and have the wheels come out straight and true, but I think having the seat offset to the side 3/8" isn't going to be good for balance.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  17:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight, I cut the rear vertical brace tacks and pulled it out. The seat tube sprung back into place. Basically, exactly where it should be.

Before:

After:

That looks better. I'd re-braze it in, but I ran out of acetylene :(. I'll go the the welding supply on Monday and get a re-fill. If I wasn't out of town all last week for business, I'd have done it already.

Hopefully, by next weekend I'll be putting the rear triangle on.

Edited by - ShelGame on 02/06/2016 18:00:46
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  18:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some progress pics. Getting these miters right was tough.

Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  07:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did quite a bit of brazing last night. Ran out of gas again :( Need to finish up the rear dropouts, and a couple other spots. Close up the rear of the big tubes, and then add the cable stops, and seat rail inserts, water bottle inserts, ... wow, that's still a pretty long list. At least it's starting to look like a bike.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6087 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  10:03:01  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It looks great! I can't remember if you said you were building a sling seat or a hard shell seat for the bike?
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  12:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a POC hardshell and an Airwolf zotefoam pad. I already had the Rans seat mount hardware; I had bought it for the abandoned prone bike.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  18:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a pain in the ass. But it's starting to look pretty good.

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  11:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fine display of skill and patience. I don't have the patience, so it's weld, flap wheel, paint, and ride. Sometimes in the same day! I just can't wait to ride it. Get 'er done so you can ride. Spring might get here, someday...
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  11:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Though I would say it's a skill under development at this point.

Spring will be here sooner than I expect, I'm afraid. At least I have all the parts I need (I think) to assemble it once I'm done with the frame.

I'll probably have to start riding this season on my Cannondale. I'm wayyy out of shape anyway. Riding anything will be good.

Edited by - ShelGame on 03/03/2016 16:01:44
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  08:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I won't be finishing this bike before spring now. I slipped on the fresh snow on my front porch steps this morning, used my right hand to break the fall, and broke my forearm at the wrist. It will be in a cast for the next 6 weeks :(
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6087 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  09:01:08  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arg! Sorry to hear that!
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  14:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A super fine project. What is the plan for paint? Planned your work and worked your plan. I guess the only hiccup was the little misadventure with the torch melt welding with filler rod; live and learn.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  15:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking white powdercoat. But, now I think I'll just paint it. Easier to repaint if i ever have to modify it that way.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  21:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Maybe you could do like Sam Whittingham and modify your cast to hold a torch(Gorilla Tape?). While your livelihood doesn't depend on you hold a torch, it might be fun to get back on the project sooner.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  07:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1st doctor wanted to open my hand up and put 2 pins in my wrist. So, I got a 2nd opinion... and a cast.

I guess I'll be stuck in this thing for the next 4 weeks at least. I doubt I'll be doing any welding with it. It's got my thumb pretty much frozen. Hard to hold a torch (or anything really) without a thumb.

But, maybe I can still get the fillets filed and smoothed while I'm healing. I'll probably give it a try this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  11:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switch torch hands and hold the brass with your fingers? I bet you can do it!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2908 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2016 :  04:09:30  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The pins are suppose to heal faster, but yea, pushing pins down through inside the bone make me squeamish. Friend broke his ankle when a puck hit him playing hockey, he opted for the pin. They cut a hole in the bone at the knee and put in a 2 foot long titanium tube and multiple wood screws. If he would have known he would have went with a cast.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/12/2016 04:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2016 :  09:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those aren't woods screws Tony. They are double lead titanium screws that not only go into the bone, they also lock into the plate. Modern plate type bone repair is a miracle of science. Look at the pro riders who bust a collarbone, get it fixed and are racing months sooner. Some like Taylor Phinney would probably never have raced again without bone plates. Certainly not within a year or two. Maybe readers know of David Studenick who crashed and got a radial fracture of his femor. In the old days he would have worn a huge cast for months, and maybe never been fully active again. But after he got the 20" titanium rod (still very grueling ) he rode a 100km ride within a year, and within 18 months was faster than before they accident. So don't knock modern bone healing technology. Sure, it is still the human body and all repairs might not be possible. But in many cases it is nearly a miracle.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2016 :  10:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did manage to get some fillet smoothing done Saturday with this cast on. Using my left hand mainly, and my right just to steady and guide things. Still not sure I could weld/braze like this. But, at least I can still make some progress.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000