www.recumbents.com - XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  15:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy threaded bbs and don't mess them up when I weld them in. If necessary I clean the threads with chasers I made from Campy bb cups. I buy head tubes the right size from Nova Cycle and just press the cups in. Done and done.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  18:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also got the Nova threaded BB. But, my cups wouldn't go in. So, I wanted them chased clean. Also, my HT's both warped a bit (5-10 thou) out of round. And, they're a couple thou under sized for standard (especially after brazing). I didn't want to rely on the races to bring them back into shape. Just too much caution on my part?
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  09:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The caution was needed during fabrication. Now you do need metal cut to size and shape. As much as I like building bikes, I like to get them done and get riding. From a pro fabricator's point of view there is only a few hours work in building most bikes (unless you are an artist like Whittington or English). I like to get them done and on the road. And you can't tell mine from one someone took eons to build. It's just a bicycle. When I had jigs built for the Kidz Bent I could go from a pile of straight tubes and parts, to a rideable frame in three hours. It ain't an airplane.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  12:38:36  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have used a round bastard file to get the inside of a headtube to accept the cups. Tedious and imperfect but it works.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  17:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking I would just use an automotive brake hone to open/clean up the HT's. But, figured it needed too much material removed. It would have taken a while to remove 5 thou off the wall...
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  03:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And would not correct it being out of round. A file works well if you're careful.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2910 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  03:42:12  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the BB shell warped? Can you take some big vice grips and squeeze it back round.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  07:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

Is the BB shell warped? Can you take some big vice grips and squeeze it back round.

C:
Tony Levand

Just a couple thou. I doubt I could be that precise with a vice or vice grips. I'd probably just make it more out of round in the opposite direction.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2910 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  08:17:57  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its not rocket science. Just squeeze it in the vice, a tiny bit, use your caliper, at a time, undo it, it will spring back and measure it with your caliper, and repeat until its close, then file it, like Warren says, or bring it to a bike shop and have them ream it to size.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  08:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys just love to pay shops for what you can go yourself with a little focus and perseverance.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  08:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

You guys just love to pay shops for what you can go yourself with a little focus and perseverance.

I don't like to pay for anything. That's why I built my own frame and why I buy old 8-sp group parts instead of 9- or 10-.

If money freely flowed from my pockets, I would have just bought an XStream.

Or, maybe I would have actually signed up for that welding course that Jerry seems so miffed I didn't take...
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  08:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten minutes of concentration and a file would save you from paying Assenmacher. Take old bearing cups and grind angled slots in them and make your own thread chasers. Free! You don't like spending money but there your beautiful project sits at another shop taking time and costing money. Jerry, despite being a wildman, might have a point. Paying for a class would have saved you the cost of some ruined material, as I recall. And how do you value the time the bike has sat, when in fact you could be riding? Get 'er done and ride it before winter.

Edited by - Speedbiker on 09/09/2016 08:55:16
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  12:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Take old bearing cups and grind angled slots in them and make your own thread chasers. Free! You don't like spending money but there your beautiful project sits at another shop taking time and costing money.

Good idea on using the old cups. Wish I had thought of it. I'll have to do that next time.

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  15:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't just cup the cups any old way and expect them to cut like a tap. Like any of the skills discussed on these pages, it won't work unless done correctly. There are some true experts on this site and I'm always amazed when their advice is scoffed it. And most of the time the poor result is no surprise.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  06:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frame is back from Assenmachers and assembly has started. I'm going to build it up before paint, just in case I need to change something.

Stopped here because I can't seem to find the headset I was sure I bought for the fork. Got another headset on the way.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  07:03:40  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woo-Hoo! It's almost a bike! :)
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  06:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the headset in the mail yesterday, mounted the fork and front wheel; then threw the seat on there for a pic.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  07:59:00  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are some mighty wide slick looking tires up on that rack. What are those for?
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  10:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the race car that's sitting outside on the trailer.

Edited by - ShelGame on 09/15/2016 10:50:08
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  12:34:47  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! Turning 13s from a FWD 4 banger! (1/4 mile?) My old Camaro did 13s but that was with a 2.79 rear end and I never got it out of 2nd gear...
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  16:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, quarter mile. I use all of the 3 gears it has...
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  16:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made the remote steer tube and mounted it up today...

Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  03:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night, I finished grinding down 2 BMX stems to make belcranks for the remote steering...

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  03:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you've been training because you will be riding soon. Mowett took me out to that beautiful park North of the city, the one with the six mile loop around the lake. You'd have some sweet riding on your bent up there.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  06:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which park? We have many. The Metropark system really is nice. I usually ride at Kensington Metropark. It has an 8 mile loop around Kent lake. It's also attached to Island Lake State park by path; giving an additional 2-4 miles of path, and state park roads.

If it was just north of downtown, it was probably Stony Creek. I've been there a few times when I lived over that way.

Cleaned out the garage and made space for the bike and training stand last weekend. I've been getting up early and stretching this week; some light core exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, etc.). I started Keto induction Monday and didn't want to try and start training at the same time. I plan to train all winter. Also, it's nice weather this week, so I'll ride the bike outside. So far no Keto headaches, so I'll get the C'Dale on the stand this weekend and get to work.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000