www.recumbents.com - XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  12:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was way far up north, with an attached path. Kensington sounds right but is six very nice miles around a lake. We parked at the marina. After a warm up Mowett tried to go around in 12 minutes, but just missed it. He has all the fastest Strava times there(except for Chris Evans). I would want to live need there if I had to live in the D.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  04:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Volae seat bracket came from Hostell Shoppe yesterday. So, I finally got the seat mounted up last night and sat on it for the first time. The rear seat stays are not mounted up yet, so the seat is resting on the tire. But , wow, 20deg (about where the seat is resting on the tire) feels really low...

I set the bars where I thought they felt good. So, I need to cut the riser down now, and get the rear seat stays mounted up. Chain and cables hopefully this weekend...
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  13:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be so excited that I'd throw a chain on it and ride it. No brakes, no gears, 2 X 4 holding up the seat......
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  16:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's very tempting. But I just about fell off last night trying hold 1 leg up to the cranks to see if the seat was close. This was before I had the genius idea to put it on the training stand. Derailleurs are optional at this point, but I'd fell better with at least a front brake.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  16:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like I'll need a chain tube. The chain won't go between the stays, it hits the 'crotch' on the smallest 2 cogs. So, over the top it is. But, now the chain run is very long. It for sure will bang on the upper stay, and the seat, seat mount. I'll order a 30" chain tube from T-Cycle to put over the rear upper chain line. Really just as a chain guard more than a guide...

Unless someone has a better suggestion?

Edited by - ShelGame on 10/19/2016 16:49:52
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  19:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you GOTTA race you seat an inch or two. You'll regret using a tube.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  05:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My intention is not to replace the idler; just put a section of tube from the idler to the cassette. The chain would be straight there under power, so I hope, the drag caused by the tube will be minimal. I know it might not be, though. Gotta start somewhere.

If that doesn't work well, I can raise the seat pretty simply by shifting the mount bracket. I intentionally put it about as low as I could get it. But, even then, I don't think I could get away with no tube. It's still really close to the upper chain stay on the small cog.

Another alternative then is to build a custom cassette with a bigger 'small' cog. Like a 13 instead of an 11. Run a bigger chainring to compensate.

In this pic; you can't see it, but the chain is hitting the seat bottom hard. I had to raise the seat up about an inch to get any clearance. And, that's on the small cog.

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  07:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, ditch that useless 11. Use the tube only for bounce protection. Raise the seat up. Believe me, you'll be flad you did.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2016 :  13:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chain line issues solved (I think) with a chaintube from T-Cycle. Unfortunately, the chain seems to rub the breezer dropout. So, I guess I need to check the dropout alignment. And/or clearance the hanger.

The rest of the chainline looks good, I think.

Just waiting on the 0.09" aluminum sheet I ordered to make the rear seat stay brackets. I'll probably cable it up tonight and tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Zephyr
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2016 :  17:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not really funny, but I had the same problem with the chain hitting the chainstay on the 2 smallest cogs when I routed the chain under the chainstay. The frame on CF Zephyr is very different from yours so I was able to mount another pulley and route the chain over the chainstay rather than under as originally planned.

Nice build and nice pics.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  06:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got the material I ordered for the seat stay brackets and got them made. The Epoxy is still curing (should be done tonight). I'm going to bolt it up and put the bike on the training stand tonight. I want to set the seat position and run it through the gears before I try to ride it. Oh, and I might want to bleed the front brake at least (the hose I bought for the rear is too short, got to find a longer one). So close...

Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  07:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the rear seat braces shortened and mounted up last night. Seat angle is about 25 deg, but that's measured on the stand with the rear wheel up. So, probably closer to 22 or 23 if it were on the ground. Doesn't feel as laid down as I thought it would. Visibility over the front end is still really good. I have enough seat adjustment to lay it down another 2" at the rear, so I think I can easily get it to 20deg if/when I want to.

Put it on the training stand and pedaled it 'in anger' for about 5-10 minutes. Didn't have any drive train issues. But, it was in single-speed mode since I don't have the derailleur cables hooked up yet. The chain line is actually really quiet. The rear tire on the roller made way more noise (of course) than the idler or chain tube. Of course there's always room for improvement, but I think this chain setup will work for now.

On the other hand, I definitely need to work on the handlebar ergonomics. My first guess at a layout just didn't work. Too low, wrong hand angle, too close. Playing around with them, I found a bar position that works; but no place to put my rapid-fire shifters. Mine are really old and bulky, might be a good excuse to find some nicer ones.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  07:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was near 50F; almost rode this beast yesterday. Put 80psi air in the tires, and before I could get it off the training stand, the front tube went 'pshewww'. Oops. No rim tape. Was dark before I got it all fixed up.

Anyway, I got the controls all worked out, finally. Visibility over the bars seems good. Of course, all I've looked at from the training stand is my workbench.

Chain still needs work. It's too short. Can't get it on both big gears. Not that I should ever need to. Also, on the 34t rear, the return line now hits the lower stay :(.

Edited by - ShelGame on 11/28/2016 07:47:59
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6087 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  15:01:10  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are getting it tweaked! You have to at least take it out for a ride around the block before the snow flies!
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  07:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today might be my last window of opportunity. I should sneak out of work early...

Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  17:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Test ride it B4 you paint it. Any thoughts on the type of paint? Good olde Dupont Emron?
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  18:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No ideas on type or brand of paint. I just know it'll be white.

Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  12:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At risk of muddying the waters, looking at that bottom bracket placement, you could also go with idlerless twist chain front wheel drive, installing a front fork with 130mm spacing. White never goes out of style and hows off those mighty nice fillet brazed joints.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  14:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never thought of FWD. Anyone ever done a FWD LWB? Seems like traction might be an issue. But, would be a compact drivetrain for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  19:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrible idea for just the reason you noted.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3743 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  12:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great for doing burnouts!
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  13:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Especially on rock dust paths, up hills.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  15:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I have a couple hours on this bike on the training stand now. It basically seems to work well. I'm surprised by how quiet it is.

But, I will need to make some chain line adjustments again. The return line hits the lower chain stay (and derailleur cable) on the big gears. Also, I managed somehow to break the chain too short. So, I can't even get it on the big gear up front (currently a 48) and the bigger 4 gears on the rear. So, 3 new chains are on the way (and lighter ones, too - KMC X9sl).

I may have to put the return chain on it's own idler to lower it far enough to keep it off the bottom stay.

At least I can still get a good workout with the gears I can access safely.

Got brake hose kits for Christmas from my wife. I'll try to get those on tonight. If tomorrow's weather is like today's, I might get a test ride in tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  16:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my new chains in today, and the new T-Cycle idler parts are on order. I opted for the Elite 23 power side idler while I was at it.

I have spent way more money setting up this chain line than I had planned. At least I'll have some spare parts for bike #2.

Edited by - ShelGame on 01/07/2017 16:25:14
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  17:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally used Dropbox to host my photos, but they're ditching the public folders soon. So, apparently, the links to all my photos will be broken. So, I'm in the process of moving everything over to Flickr. Here's a link to all my build pictures, if anyone cares to check them out once the DB links are gone...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/146396513@N07/8Yn674

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000