www.recumbents.com - i want to build a low racer short.
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 i want to build a low racer short.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  10:20:59  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was that layup above part of the lowracer short build? I am confused.
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  20:20:17  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just spent 3 hours. Needed to finish the second side (2piece bolt together mold) of the air-bladder mold. It makes square cf tubes /46" long/ it is 40mmx40mm. This is boom for velos, i will use on 2 wheeler also & put them on ebay. I have 1"&1/2x1"&1/2 tubes already. Now curing for 3 days.

[/URL]

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 01/04/2017 17:20:42
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  15:40:12  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A photo of this rear wheel box mold,, setting in the lower velo unibody shell mold: 1)making the two wheel part l learned stuff to help me with 2 or 3 wheelers down in the mold when doing layups.
2)SEAT FORWARD ON 2 WHEELER SHOULD BE SIMPLE.
3)TRYING TO MAKE ENOUGH STRENGTH AT FRONT UNDER SEAT AREA on 2 wheeler unibody.
4)I NEED TO MAKE SOME MORE CF (40mmx40mm square)TUBES now. JUST ONE PIECE for now.
5) The big mold makes 2 wheel and velomobile parts.

[/URL]
-----------------------
velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 09/29/2016 16:50:00
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  12:34:15  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
finished boom mold today and now wet sanded edges and washed with hot water and soap then frekote mold kleaner.
1)Latex air-bladder from San Diego. (40mmx40mm square cf tube)
2)Mclube release agent.
3) grey aluminum plug worked great.

[/URL]

Notice the locking pyramids like in UK youtube in above post on page 2 l think. Well thats where l learned the trick & buy supplies from there.

[/URL]

Edited by - carolina on 09/29/2016 16:41:08
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  09:02:27  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found some nomex honeycomb on ebay from kansas, best price in the nation. Saved 60$. I have the guys number. I bought 1/8". I have a great technique for wet lay-up install I was taught for fg or cf.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  16:17:28  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WAITING ON NOMEXHONEYCOMB TO COME FROM EBAY:

Adding strength to lower belly of 2 wheel uni-body under seat with nomexhoneycomb. Then 14" cf tube will be installed down there also. The seat mounting ears will still be cf. This has been hard to figure out but l will stay with it. CF square tube runs parallel to chain canal. The chain canal is like a steel tube. The rear wheel box when set in place is a huge gusset. On a next one l will install honeycomb after first or second layer of cf goes in the mold. My tetz special will only be a local cruz'er and a cf learning curve.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 10/19/2016 21:45:11
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  13:12:36  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Second air bladder mold valve base. It great, cure tomorrow (cotton flox & ezpoxy). Didn't even haf to wait to get holes tapped at machine shop today and he gave me 2 old bicycles.

[/URL]

1)air valve from machine shop l had made,, l run a lil', 12 to 15 , vaccum compressor ,, air compressor and the air bladders from piercan.com
2) cf twill 11oz and biaxial cf
3) l let resin run out both ends into garbage cans.
4) 1 end is see thru. opposite valve ofcourse.
5) makes incredible square cf tubes.
6) they need uv clear or whatever color you choose.
7) most rewarding project
8) someone said make a aeroshape tube, they aint cheap @ spruce/ need one for plug.
9) a tube need to be large enough for head tube to set in.
10) l guess l could even make round mold but never needed yet.
11) l try to take mold apart by hand, ezpoxy is tougher thsn C.E. epoxy,, l use plastic wedges.
12) l have 2 molds (40mmx40mm) & (1"&1/2x1"&1/2).

http://youtu.be/P25gYPUqtB8

Below is my single side swingarm , could maybe make the aluminum arm in cf some day. When l do my velo shell l want 1 cog at rear and 18 sp pinion up front.

[/URL]

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 09/29/2016 16:35:56
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  14:10:58  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Layup of rear wheel well, sum=bitch! 6 hours: 3 layers of 11oz. Two part female mold and extended epoxy brush got-R-done! Will pop out sunday oct 1-2016.

[edit jan 2017- this one will be used on velo with bafang, strong for rear chain wheel. 2 layers only needed for 2 wheeler].

[/URL]

_________________/brevity&misspelling rampant

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 01/04/2017 17:16:52
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  20:14:25  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Seat plug, seat is nice fit. (2 positions at seat front and few inches of adjustment @ rear top of seat.)
1)VELOMOBILE hardwares not in pic.
2) Seat mold completed later.

[/URL]

Blind faith but having fun/:)

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/22/2017 06:09:02
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  12:18:36  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While waiting on supplies mailed last friday,,, (compositeenvisions.com had free shipping last week, i ordered bunch of hazmat) iam working on 2 wheeler.

Yesterday l installed base cf tube, today l installed 2 pieces of nomex honeycomb with ea-0151 hysol aircraft adhesive. Its seated enough late tonight for next step.

1) later tonight l take super thin fg cloth wetted out and carefully place on top,,, and the next morning the honeycomb has a sealed tent over it.
2) then l put my layers of carbon on top and iam finished.

[/URL]

1)Lead ingots hold in place till hysol is fully cured @ 24 hours. But is hard enough for next step in 7 hours.
2)the rear ww (above post) adds super strength when installed with dow chemical windshield adhesive (ebay).
3)So, with blind faith l move forward trying to get the strength l need for a unibody utility low-rider.
4) the piece of granite has MEQUIARES mold release wax and mclube 818 atomized over it, great work tables, other table is long glass piece.

----------------------------

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/22/2017 06:16:29
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  13:43:12  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's your bike, and you can build it any way you like, but it seems to me like you are making this much more difficult than it needs to be. Why have all of that flat pan under the seat? Are you going to build side panels too to ensure that the velo rear bulkhead doesn't act like a parachute? Note that on a two wheeler you want to ensure that the bike can lean to about a 30 degree angle without scraping any solid bits. That's 15 degrees past 45.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3699 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  18:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You obviously don't understand his design. What's he building?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  18:59:13  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are correct.
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  21:00:34  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The seat ear mounts shouldn't hit the ground. My seat is same width as tetz. But warren, l don't know why u dont read the whole thread instead of 1 post. Read the post up above with two pics of frt forks. I may make some mistakes but thats what novice do. As said 8 times this is not a racer, now 9, this is a neighborhood bike. But this is also to learn stuff l need about the velo shell which comes first.

THIS IS A NEIGHBORHOOD GROCERY GETTER, NOT A RACER! COULD EVEN BE A WEEKEND CAMPER RIDE IN THE MOUNTAINS OF TENNESSEE.

I dont mind explaining stuff for you few times. l own the molds, they ain't going anywhere. l even own the sq cf tube molds. Hardware is hardware and can be moved around to other designs.

Iam retired warren, u can some day!

The hysol dried quick and i put the top on, (hc cant get resin in it now) well cured in the morning, then l will put cf on top of honeycomb.

******* Go to bed Warren you gotta go to work tomorrow *************************/:)

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/22/2017 06:20:15
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  09:48:04  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now get that whine out, (THE REAR BULKHEAD @ WIDE POINT IS 14") one could put this on fitted round seat Warren! As said above in many post in this thread, blind faith/:)

My soulders are 22".

this was cut off bulkhead, but can be put back easy:
[/URL]

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 10/12/2016 13:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3699 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  17:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job berating the owner of this website! Tell him what you really think.
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  20:04:11  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hehehehe, l know Warren, l email him alot. He ask the correct questions but hes not my neighbor and l haf to do the best l can.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 10/12/2016 20:05:32
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  05:26:44  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warren l figured out the problem you came up with, l can buy one of these front seat mounts from theo and cut the left & right cf ear mounts (pics in posts above) off of what l have now,, if needed. thanks!

Zoom in: the frt of this one can mount to vertical tube that leeds up to boom.

[/URL]

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 10/19/2016 21:48:39
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  17:49:40  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did some measures Warren, your new idea (frt seat + hardware) is 14 inches. Old original idea was 40mm or 16"'s.. And your idea gains more gound clearance by inch plus. I can pick unibody up by pinching it with two fingers and this is prototype,,,,,, the next one would be even lighter. Warren, what would l do without you?

The honeycomb worked. My structure strength plan for frt floor of unibody worked. If another is built l can incorporate the frt parts in the mold all @ build time and save weight and maybe gain lil more strength. I did find some better uni carbon if l build another. They did some of this w/velo-tilt and the hex-foam sandwich.
----------------------

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 10/19/2016 21:52:57
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  20:40:49  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
duces wild:

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 10/18/2016 19:24:07
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  07:03:02  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress. Wow that does look like it will be low!
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  15:10:00  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1)these are old outdated waw dropouts before they became katanga. l need to cut new ones. We have a cutting table at shop, gotta call jody and see if he will run a lil program for me. Id like to take ideas from old and new dropouts and mix together and then cut some new ones. I dont even like the new ones that are on my trike.

2)Theo told me to make new frt seat mount (pic above) at home/much cheaper. [Seat center section,] lam making from carbon tube with the threaded hole phonelic in both ends. Then two cf plates cut for frt pieces, the clear hysol looks great up against cf. And brush a small amount of duratec sunshield over joint areas is incredible and can be buffed as published.

3)I want a head shock mono-fork, going to bicycle junk yard tomorrow. Some machineing and welding. Thanks.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 10/19/2016 16:20:17
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  15:35:54  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you seen this page?

http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages/proj/tetz/VFS/projtetzVFS01features.html
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  18:31:16  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
l like the rear drive tetz.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

112 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2016 :  06:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Tetz FWD page.
I am doing a similar FWD, but using a rear wheel hub with disc brake mount and a front wheel with disc brake hub, VeloSolo cogs bolted to the disc brake mounts on the left side of the trike driving the front wheel. Chain wheel, behind the front wheel, driving the cassette on the right side of the trike.

Tom

Edited by - Tom Schneider on 10/21/2016 06:03:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000