116 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2017 :  20:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick I like the big wheel version!!
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2017 :  09:21:35  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too! It would be good for everything but the twisty high G cornering races.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2017 :  15:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren
I believe one can just build stronger wheels if that is a concern.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

112 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2017 :  18:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For high G cornering you could make the track wider, 26-28 inch. If you use drum brakes and a wing on each side with axle tube, steering, cables, etc inside, then the aero drag should barely increase. May even decrease with added separation of the wheels and body?

Tom
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  12:37:34  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking that I want to build a trike out of steel that uses the same geometry as the CF trike I am planning. I'll use the Barracuda Street Racer frame as the starting point. I don't use the bike.

The rear end was from the original Barracuda low racer so it should work well. I'll also re-use the wheels from the tilting trike project. I think I have almost all the steel and parts except for the kingpin assembly.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  14:55:54  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kingpin assembly. LOL. Stood around in the garage workshop for several hours trying to convince myself to start work on kingpins, because that's where the work on a trike begins. It's either that or spend $400 on Greenspeed kingpins. Yeah Ok. One step at a time. The first thing to decide is the steering bearings. Do I use normal headsets or cartridge bearings? I'm leaning toward cartridge bearings but they may require machining that is outside of my capabilities. I'll just have to order a couple headsets and start from there. I have piles of tubing scrap and miscellaneous headset parts from past projects that I would love to use up, but that rarely happens.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  18:14:56  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ordered a couple of inexpensive threadless headsets and some tubing for the steerer tubes and head tubes. Of course I didn't have the right tubing in the box.
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
292 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  07:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the good news is that, after the project, you will have the correct size tubing in your box.

quote:
Originally posted by warren

I ordered a couple of inexpensive threadless headsets and some tubing for the steerer tubes and head tubes. Of course I didn't have the right tubing in the box.

Jackrabbit Jimmy

Edited by - Jackrabbit Jimmy on 10/29/2017 07:16:38
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  10:38:29  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL. Yes Jimmy, I will have some 1 1/2" head tube material left over but I hope to use up all of the 1 1/8" steerer tube material.

Parts all came in and over the weekend I had some time to make measurements and create a 1X drawing of the kingpin assembly (I'll post that soon). Looks like I have all the tubing bits now. I should have some time to start cutting metal during evenings this week.

More 1X drawings and building the cruciform jig will be the next task after building the kingpins.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  13:19:36  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looked a while for steel centering cones, which would be handy when fixturing the head tubes. They are all megabucks. Looks like I will use a 1.25" steel tube with a .040 sheet steel shim. That leaves .04" slop, which is probably good enough for me.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  21:15:20  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a bunch of measuring, here's the 1X drawing of the kingpins. Kingpin inclination is 76 degrees, for a 406mm wheel with a medium width tire. Steerer tube is 1 1/8" OD, the head tube is 1 1/2" OD.

Edited by - warren on 11/06/2017 20:56:46
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  11:33:01  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More specs for the steel racing trike:
* Same geometry as the discussed CF tracing trike
* The main trike frame will be steel (street racer).
* Front Sturmey Archer drum brake wheels from tilting trike
* 1.5" cruciform tubes
* CF hardshell seat
* 3/4" seat support/triangulation tubing from rear stays to cruciform, running on outside of CF seat ribs.
* The boom will fold to allow easier transport.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  00:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren, what kind of fixture do you plan to use to align those spindles or headtubes(steertubes) when you braze them? That stuff Carolina uses is very tempting.
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  02:05:59  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like that s. American catike dude somehow: but Ian Sims better! He has put breath back in me (“ in my life on email”) when no other Americans would. Its a rare individual.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/02/2017 02:14:08
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  10:47:31  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 8020 that Carolina uses is indeed impressive, but is out of my price range. I'm going to build an adjustable fixture out of wood, which will bolt to my bike fixture. The 1.25" OD alignment tubes will be able to be pivoted and bolted tightly in place. I'll post a drawing in a few days. I'm working on the 1X drawing of the trike now.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look forward to seeing it. Very few custom racing trikes are built. I have some great ideas, but have too many other projects.
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  17:14:29  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warren, your trike will be three 20’s?

[/URL]

Have you ever seen 4 wheeler racer? Would it have any advantage?

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  23:02:29  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, 3 - 20 inch wheels. There are no 4 wheel racers in the US. Govt. does not consider them bikes...
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  10:58:48  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1X drawing is done. 44" wheelbase. 5" seat height. 14" BB height. Looks cool. Trying now to figure out if I can fab up a CF tubes that will clamp over my 2" tubes so I don't have to use heavy 2" x .049 tubing for the boom and bottom tubes. I bought some shrink tube sleeves to compress the CF layups evenly.

Edited by - warren on 11/07/2017 20:56:03
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  21:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wooo!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2910 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  05:41:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Warren,

Is it that much harder to fair the boom into the seat, than to fab round tubes?

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6090 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  08:08:51  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you already have a donor bike and a seat languishing in storage, yes it's easier. I decided I need to build the steel version first and tweak it before committing it to full carbon.

I cut a bunch of tubes last night.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  11:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do like Brauchler and add foam+carbon fairings to your tube frame.
Go to Top of Page

Johnsfwdbent
recumbent enthusiast

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  12:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren, looks good! how about moving the main tube up tighter under the seat!
Go to Top of Page

Johnsfwdbent
recumbent enthusiast

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  13:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren, looks good! how about moving the main tube up tighter under the seat!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000