www.recumbents.com - Trike time (see pg 5 for build 1)
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Trike time (see pg 5 for build 1)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  13:23:51  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Completed the tubing clamp to hold the CF boom tube onto the BB assembly. I cut the boom tube an inch or two shorter than I should have but I think there is still enough 2" tube on the BB assembly to allow a good clamp area.

Edited by - warren on 02/19/2018 17:23:10
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  17:20:27  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the steering assembly. It's a bit hard to see what's going on but I have enough clearance for my hand except in a really tight turn where the tire will rub my wrist. Time will tell if that's a problem.

Shortened the chain a bit.
Chain management is completed. I'm using a small Fenner pulley for the power side with a chain keeper. I wanted to use a 16T cog idler but the chain keeper would have been more difficult and more prone to chain loss. The return chainline is pretty straight so I'm just using a short section of chain tubing connected to the seat. This picture also shows the lower seat mount bracket.

Here's the front view before finishing the brakes. The handlebars are behind the kingpins.

Here's the riding position with my head against the headrest. This was before I shortened the boom. The steering position is reasonably aero...
I weighed the trike at 35 lbs

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  17:26:01  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the handle bars were a little higher up, arms would be straighter into the airflow.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  17:33:33  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's true, if the above seat steering had worked my arms would have been straight. I think this will be close because my hands will be in the wind shadow of the kingpins, which is dirty anyway.
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  17:47:26  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great!

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  15:55:40  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took it for it's first outdoor ride up and down the sidewalks and driveways of my neighborhood a couple nights ago when the snow was melted and the pavement was finally dry. It seems to ride and handle well, and it was fun! Heels did scrape a bit going up the driveway. I was worried that the steering may not have enough leverage but it seems to be fine. I need to check the toe-in to see if it's set right. It's just set by eyeball right now.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  14:13:24  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2nd ride was a little longer. I noticed that i had to push the handlebars hard to get it to turn at times and that it was very sensitive to being pushed by the wind and road crowns. Checked the toe in when I got it back into the house. Yes, toe in was actually toe out as I had just eyeballed it before. After a short ride I find that I now get death wobble at high speeds. I did not know that was possible for a trike.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  16:26:16  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tightened up the headsets and took it out again. Much better! No more death wobble. It seems to steer easier but I need to take it on a longer ride to see if it feels "good".
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  20:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Movie!
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  12:39:35  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Way coooool!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  12:26:46  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night I took the trike out for a moonlit ride on the local short MUP. The handling feels pretty good now.

I did get some bump induced wobble and am not sure if the headset loosened up again or if the CF tie rod maybe had an oscillation. Testing in the daytime will probably help. The headset is only held together my the star nut and cap now, which may not be enough to keep it tight. Traditionally there would also be a clamp on top of the steerer tube, but I skipped that. I think I'm going to order compressor caps to ensure it stays tight.

I'll work on a video later this spring...

Edited by - warren on 02/28/2018 12:33:57
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  15:36:21  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still (slowly) tweaking the trike. The compressor caps arrived and I also ordered a t-cycle.com 24T "sport" idler to replace the Fenner pulley.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  11:40:26  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Work progresses slowly but it all seems to work. I have painted the boom tube yellow and now I'm disassembling the trike to do a couple tweaks and get some paint on it.

Soon I'll be distracted by a hopefully quick project to mod a mini-BMX with a 24V motor and big LiFePo4 battery.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  12:56:23  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I fixed the one front front wheel headtube that was in at the wrong angle, causing the wheel to be slightly canted. I had to unbraze it, grind it a bit to fix the angle, check the alignment, then tack weld it back together. Still wrong. Second time around it seems right. That plus removing/installing the headset cups about 20 times made for a long day. Today I am painting the frame yellow.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  18:01:10  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Edited by - warren on 04/02/2018 18:02:18
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  20:58:12  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The perfect color.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  08:14:13  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm putting it all back together. For some reason I am always amazed how much easier it goes together the second time.

Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

125 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  11:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now: photos, movie, ride report (speed, handling, etc).

Thanks,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  09:45:10  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'll do that. It would certainly help if the weather would cooperate! Trike is almost back together.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  19:56:11  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After getting it put back together, I used a couple of boards to check the toe. Yes, too much toe-in! Because I used two right hand threaded rod end bearings I have to remove a bolt to adjust it. Note to self: If I ever abuse myself with a trike build again, get right and left threaded rod end bearings so all I need to do is loosen the bolts to adjust the toe.

Here's the left hand steering assembly. This is the one I had to unbraze and fix. After I had the bike all back together now I notice that the trail doesn't exactly match on both sides. A couple trips around the basement didn't show it to be a detriment. I still need to test it outside.

Here's the right hand steering assembly. It's hard to see but I used some handlebar tape to finish off the hand grip. I discovered the the brake cable could be wrapped under the tape. Nice!
Later I may drill some hole in the cruciform to route the derailleur cable through so it looks cleaner.

Here's the power side idler and the return side chain tube. The power idler is TerraCycle's "Sport" 23T .

Here's the rear end, with another chunk of chain tube to prevent rubbing on the frame in the upper gears.

The finished trike, complete with a flag that has been sitting in my garage for many years, just waiting for a trike to put it on.

I found some 20 year old fiberglass wheel disks that I made for the Barracuda lowracer that fit the rear wheel nicely. I'll shoot some black spray paint on them and they'll be ready to go!

Edited by - warren on 04/05/2018 20:25:19
Go to Top of Page

jjackstone
recumbent enthusiast

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  10:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you check the toe while sitting on the trike?

JJ
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  11:49:14  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Favorites:
1) triangle 3 hole plate by rear tire.
2) chain wheel system under seat and velo chain tubes.
3) the steer tied into rod-end bearings.
4) seat sure ain’t going anywhere too
————————

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

415 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  12:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMNSHO, the wheel disks would look great, painted to match the frame, The black tires will separate them from the frame.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  13:09:07  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JJ - No, I need to do that.
Harv - Good idea, maybe later...
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6288 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  19:16:14  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rear disk installed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000