Page: of 2

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  12:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShelGame

They're multiplying. Just bought this bike from a seller near my mom's house in North Texas. Not sure how/when I'll get it home to Ann Arbor. But, now I'll have 2. Probably keep this one as-is, no mods. Then modify the frame from Warren and move the parts over from the 'original' when the modified frame is done...

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/ExclusiveSeniorPhotography/media/IMG_0439.jpg.html

I just realized - did i buy this from Jerry here? I recognized the Giro helmet/visor pics in both of your threads here and there. If so, sorry, I didn't realize it was you over on BROL.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
967 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  06:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, ha, no problem Rob. I was just waiting to see if anyone made the connection. The bubble face shield is working out great. I got stung 5 times last year by wasp, 3 times in the eye area, and twice on my cheek. All the nasty pollen and little white gnats don't get in my face now. I hope your son's enjoy the bikes. I know I did.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  07:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks a bunch for delivering the bike to my mom's house. Now I have an excuse to visit. Or, to get her to come up north.

There was a very similar bike for sale on rbent a couple years ago. Is this that same bike? It seems to have the same headrest. Not sure if that's a standard part or not.

Edited by - ShelGame on 03/22/2017 07:42:57
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
967 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  11:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original owner is on rbent. He added the head rest. When you come down, bring your bikes and we'll go for a ride.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  11:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the race at Texas Motor Speedway is an annual thing, that sounds like fun. I'd love to come down for that. I'm not quite old enough yet. (Been a while since I was able to say I wasn't old enough for something...).

I always miss living in north Texas, especially around January.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
967 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  19:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be in the 65-69 year old bracket. I was going to race there this year, but surgery and getting sick, I wasn't in racing shape. I hope I can get in good enough shape to race somewhere this year. I would love to go to Waterford, but 1,300 miles is just too far one way.

Yeah, 50-60 degrees is a lot easier than the teens and lower temps with snow and ice.

Edited by - Jerry on 03/22/2017 19:59:29
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  07:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After Waterford, my 10 year old is itching for a bike to ride in Northbrook. So, back to work on this thing.

I tried to have him sit on it; but with the seat at 25 deg, the bottom is just too high and his back too far down to make touching the ground possible.

I measured up the frame again to make sure my sketch was accurate. And, I looked for a shorter fork that would still give decent geometry - with no luck.

I think we'll have to raise the seat back up; with the side effect (due to the seat mounting on this frame) of lowering the seat bottom by about an inch. Both will help him to touch the ground while seated.

The next step, if that doesn't work, would be to go to 451's from these 520 rims. Maybe he'll grow a little bit before Northbrook...

Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
967 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  13:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go with either a 451 or 406 wheel. My Musashi has a 451 front wheel, while the Baron has a 406. Larger wheels are not faster, they just don't fall into potholes as easily! I have been thinking about building delta trikes for my two grandson's. That way I don't have to worry so much about them falling over. Ha.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 451 22mm deep rims. Just need hubs for them. I've come to love lacing and truing wheels. It's just that the wheels I've already built for this are sooo pretty...
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
967 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  16:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know what you mean about building your own wheels. I bought this DVD https://www.amazon.com/Master-Wheelbuilding-Bill-Mould/dp/B004H1UA9Y and truing stand 6 years ago and would take my wheels apart to just rebuild them. Now I don't even check to see if they are true unless something is rubbing! I thought when I retired I would have so much more free time. Man was I wrong.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  18:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moved the seat up to 35deg tonight and the 10year old can now touch the ground on this bike. With his tiptoes. Now to start cutting the new rear dropouts.

Anyone know a good aluminum welder in Michigan? I'm going to call Assenmachers to see if he does aluminum, but I suspect he only does steel.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  19:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How tall is the young man? FB message me, please.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2017 :  19:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom is visiting from Texas this week; she brought the bike I bought fro mJerry up with her. I gave it a quick ride around the block tonight (after putting some air in the tires). It actually rides quite nice; and it was very easy to start. The BB feels a little low to me, but that's probably just in comparison to my LWB bike. I did not like riding it over gravel, however. It definitely feels squirrely over gravel. Also, the front wheel is a little out of true and rubs a brake pad. My 10year old is way too short to ride this with the 26's on it. Maybe my 14 year old could reach the ground. Anyway, thanks Jerry for a really great deal...

Edited by - ShelGame on 07/30/2017 19:16:32
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  06:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any ideas why this bike should be smoother over rough pavement than my LWB bike? It's got 23mm tires, I'm running them at 80psi for now. Which is what I run in the LWB bike. I would have expected this bike, with a short 38" wheelbase, to be pitchy over bumps. But, It's actually noticeably smoother than the LWB bike. Maybe it's just the difference in weight distribution? Big front wheel makes that much difference (even lightly loaded)?
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  16:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditched the chain tube setup and adapted a pair of POC nylon idlers. Makes a little more noise, but is noticebalely faster than the tubes...

Edited by - ShelGame on 08/13/2017 16:58:00
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  17:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I think Iím giving up on modifying this frame. I actually like the bike as-is, and my older son can almost ride it. Just need to move the boom back a couple of inches.

So instead, Iím going to build a 24Ē stick bike for my younger son. I have most of the material and parts necessary. Hereís a first draft.

Making it big enough to later take 559ís.

Edited by - ShelGame on 10/08/2017 17:46:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000