Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  16:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang Jerry, every time you post it looks better! I hope that is the new white Gorilla tape. Regular has a very short, ugly life span. That new clear Gorilla tape might be an option. Either way, it looks great. Are you sure you never built anything before? Ha ha. Builders build while talkers talk.

Btw, I bet you've been accused of having a hidden motor even before you had a shell!

Edited by - Speedbiker on 07/05/2017 16:08:17
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  16:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thom. It means a lot coming from some one who builds and fabricates like you do. The white tape is temporary. I am pulling off the white and putting red sign tape on it. The sign tape is easier to get to lay flatter on curves. I put a couple of coro bulk heads in the front to stiffen it up a little. I also installed a 1" wide x 3/32 aluminum strip at the top of the front opening for attaching accessories. I didn't get a chance to build the hood yet. I'll start that in the morning. I am going to start on my version of the Lee Wakefield 4 week build on my Baron in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I get asked a lot where the motor is. i tell them it is a 1952 model. Two foot power!

Hope you had a great holiday!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  17:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1952? I can't even do the math on someone that old! What is that, eighty something? Ha ha.

A Wakefield Baron. Now that's exciting! Especially with that engine. If you have any questions let me know. I chat with him online and on FB Phone occasionally.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  20:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it sure feels like 80, but I am only 39! I use to follow Lee all the time, until he quit blogging and went to FB. If I can come close to his design, it will be good. The Baron and Fujin are close cousins. I will probably have a lot of questions.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  05:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry #1 loaded and ready to travel at my daughter's house. The boys want to ride with PA. Re-taped the seams with red tape. Will finish the hood and more bulkheads in the corovelo today. Going on its first trip next Thursday.

[URL=http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/ExclusiveSeniorPhotography/media/IMG_0635.jpg.html][/URL]/img]
[URL=http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/ExclusiveSeniorPhotography/media/IMG_0634.jpg.html][/URL]/img]
[URL=http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/ExclusiveSeniorPhotography/media/IMG_0633.jpg.html][/URL]/img]
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  09:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Jerry, we have to kick you off this page. It looks like you only spent 2 1/2 weeks building that sweet shell. Is there some other site where you talked about it a year ago, spent 8 months building something terrible, then paid that Ollinger prick to build it for you? Come clean big guy!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  09:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is funny Thom! Lol. I still am making small changes here and there. I really need to re-fabricate the steering handles. I might just cut the tube off where I want it, and take a smaller tube and insert it to attach the rest of the tube to it. I'll bolt it together, that way I don't have to weld it or pay someone else to weld it. Then I can install the wheel wells. That will really help with the aerodynamics. right now the wheel openings act like a parachute. Like last night. The wife was driving back from the store and I pulled in behind her. The speed limit is 20, the wife was doing 24-25 mph. I kept up with her until I started to sweat, about 300 yards! The wheel wells and hood will really help with the cruising speed.

Edited by - Jerry on 07/07/2017 13:36:33
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  16:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Ah, the genius of simplicity and the wisdom of old age. Here I am on nose piece #5 and tail box #4 for the upright commuter. Looking sharp Jerry.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  20:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I fabricated the hood, but need to redo a few minor things to it. After I get the hood just the way I want it, I will add the wind screen and mirrors to it. I also need to cut an opening for the head light and cover it with clear plastic. I will use PETG for the wind screen, side windows, and head light, because I have a ton of it. When I get everything just right, I plan to add a stop/tail light and maybe turn signals.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  20:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That turtle deck is way too high! PETG is terrific stuff. UV eventually gets to it, but it's cheap and easy to work. Box in the headlight from the reflector to the back side of the PETG and it will be way more effective.
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  21:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good quality automotive clear coat will help with the UV protection. Test on scrap first. Check companies that make truck lights for lens and housings. The narrow tail means using marker lights for stop and turn signals such as the Grote 53492 side turn marker light, red and the 47183 cab marker light, yellow. These are 12v LED lights. See grote.com for the complete catalog.

Edited by - Grant-53 on 07/08/2017 07:37:22
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  11:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like these, https://www.ebay.com/i/262625911072?chn=ps&dispItem=1.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  13:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rode 4 miles to the gym in the new corovelo, worked out, and then rode another 16 miles before going home in 97 degree weather. Got home to download 10 videos from today and yesterday from my GoPro, nothing there. Hmmm! I guess I need a new GoPro. Anyway, I got most of the bulkheads installed.Need to re-do the hood. Time spent working on it will be limited the next few days as I am helping my daughter move. The 13th I head out for my 2 day tour. WhenI get back I am starting on the Wakefield Baron!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  11:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two grandson's wanted to ride in Pa's new corovelo. Priceless!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrM7qcsFPwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u54XI4aIWqk
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  15:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A short video of me hitting 45+ down a small TX hill. It was 97 and the humidity was around 95% at 2 pm. It was the only time today I could sneak off without the grand kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-W3mn5K5M
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  06:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been too busy the past few days to do any work on the corovelo. Helped my daughter get moved yesterday. Wow! Two trucks and 8 men, and I still had to make 5 trips with my minivan and trailer. Finished at 11:10 PM last night.

I am thinking maybe instead of changing the steering handles, just make oversize wheel wells, and enclose them with spandex. I have heavy duty 4 way stretch spandex that should work. Need to also finish the hood, cut opening and install plastic lens for headlight, make armrests on each side, cut opening for back storage, install air horn, install the two new motorcycle headlights form ebay, the two flexible stop/tail/turn lights from ebay, and two batteries for drills and wire everything up. I guess I had better order new motorcycle controls for the lights and turn signal flasher. Left mine in storage in MO. Oh well, too hot for the hood anyway, so I can still use arm signals for now.

Edited by - Jerry on 07/12/2017 06:28:39
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  07:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took the corovelo to Paris, TX for their first Paris Recumbent Rally. Had fun, met several nice people, ate watermelon, and did a little riding. An 81 year young Tom was my riding partner. He wants to build a corovelo out of his Terra Trike. Cool! It was a very nice turn out for a 1st Rally in a small town. I would say at least 30 or more people showed up. Easy Street Recumbents hosted the event. Nice people who came all the way from Austin to put this on. I got a picture of my corovelo in front of the Eiffel Tower. Okay, it is a small replica of the original one. Can't post the picture with this slow wifi. Maybe later. All in all, a great day. Glad I didn't try riding to the event. It got close to 100 degrees and was humid. The traffic was also fast at 70-80 mph for 125 miles! Nice shoulder, then it would disappear. I pulled my trailer with the corovelo on it. Left the rally and drove 280 miles to my mom's house.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  09:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what it's all about. Good job, Jerry.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  18:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thom. I finished another hood while at my mom's house today. I came out great except for one small thing. I was hot and tired and should have quit, but being me, I went on trying to get it finished before the big thunderstorm hit. I had marked it out and cut one side just right. The other side had a pencil mark about 2 1/2"s from my cut line on the other piece and I forgot to pencil it out. Guess which line I cut on? Yeap! The wrong one. Ha. I'll build a better one when I get back to the RV tomorrow. The one I built today works great, just looks bad where I pieced it together. It doesn't look too bad, but you can tell it because it has tape on the seam.

I know PETG is not good for UV, but I have enough I can make 20-30 windows and windshields. Plus, i can stick the film tinting to it. I was going to box the headlights in with silver backed mylar. Build a square box with the back closed so the light will all project out front. Might use silver mylar on coroplast.

The tail/brake/stop flexible lights was delivered today. I like the fact that the turn signal is directional, turn on the right one, and it blinks from the left to right in little arrow shapes.

Still need to redo the steering handles. I want the wheel wells completely closed in. Can't do it the way these direct steering handles are made. It is an easy fix. My problem is I like riding it so much, I don't want to spend any time working on it now. Ha.

The turtle deck is only 3's above my head and is designed to be used with the hood on it. When I have my helmet on, the deck is only about 3/4" above the helmet. My GoPro sticks out above the deck.

I am going to add a mount in the front and rear for my GoPro and other camera. Also will add amber side lights on each side like my utility trailer has on it. When I get everything just the way I like it, I am going to build another corovelo around an Ice or Catrike with indirect steering.

Edited by - Jerry on 07/15/2017 18:51:58
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  08:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UV does affect PETG more than some other plastics, but it still takes YEARS. I've used it for canopies and wheel disks and estimate they last five years before the get brittle. But in that Texas heat you want as little clear areas and maximum white areas.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2874 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  11:00:02  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope you make it to the races next weekend.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  13:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck Thom, I'll have to change the PETG out every 6 months from all the scratches I put on it. Ha. I have some Lexan also, but I don't like using it.

I don't think I will be at races until September, if then. Too much stuff going on including trying to find a house and move everything down from MO that I have in storage.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2017 :  14:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought this little fan that runs off 12 volts yesterday for the corovelo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000765MHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.Man, it is very powerful. Works 100 times better than the D-cell battery fans I tried. It will blow your hair straight back on high speed! I'll run it off my little 5 pound 12 volt battery. Thinking about using my flexible trickle charge solar panel to keep it charged. The battery will run the head, tail/turn/stop lights also. I will get another 5 pound battery for back up.I will take both batteries on tours. I use a 16 oz air horn for a horn, less drain on my batteries.

Edited by - Jerry on 07/23/2017 14:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2017 :  16:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the solar charge idea! How about a recent picture?
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2017 :  20:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just signed up for an Imgur account. I'll post more pictures when the head lights get here. They must have shipped them on a sailboat from China! I ordered the fan Friday, got it yesterday. I ordered the headlights over a week ago and it hasn't got here yet.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000