New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SpiderMonkey
recumbent enthusiast

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  13:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember what the NoCom Gen 1 hubs were narrowed down from? I'd like to have some spare cones available since mine are starting to show a bit of a wear line. I believe they were deore, and they certainly look to me like typical Deore build, 9mm axle, big dustcaps on either side, cup 'n' cone, of course.

Replacing bearings and I dropped them all into a tub and counted them up and came up with 23, which I can't divide by 2. It's always something when you take bike bits apart.

--SpiderMonkey

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3704 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  19:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me of all the hassles I've avoided with my custom cromoly fork and drum brake hub. Good luck with yours.
Go to Top of Page

CincyRay
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  20:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spider, I had Don Smith make me a couple of front hubs for my nocom that I never used. I think I Kept them when I sold the nocom. I won't be back home until after Labor Day, but give me a shout then, if you have any interest and I can check.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6050 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  05:43:36  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No idea on the mub mfgr. My NoCom front hub seems fine but I do have a spare wheel "just in case".
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent enthusiast

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  06:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine are still fine, but the quick premature demise of the cups in the deore hub at the rear of my Catrike has me in the mind to have the parts available sooner rather than later. That one went straight from looking fine (cones are still spotless) to pitted and grindy. If I stay on top of the maint better on the Nocoms, they should last longer than my knees.

I went through the entire range of Shimano front hub exploded diagrams and none match perfectly, although a deore looks pretty close. HB-m525a. It's a 10mm axle. That's what's on the NC (had that wrong in the original post). Only differences from the narrowed one seem to be a spacer on the disk side (not surprising given that the idea was to narrow it) and the exploded view shows no dustcaps.

Seal ring looks wider in the diagram, but maybe I'm imagining that. Parts are cheap enough. I'll just order some up and see if they match. Need to pull apart another wheel next month anyway. I'll report back for archival purposes if I find the parts or original model no.

CRay, I'd be interested in spare hubs, thanks. I like keeping them around in case the mechanic (me) screws up. When I built up my wife's NoCom all those years ago, in order to get a triple on, I had to put a really wide BB on, and I remember buying 2x thinking "By the time this wears out, I'll never find another one the same."

I'll bug you in a couple months.

Still not sure how that spare ball got in there. Should have been 11 per side. I fished out 23!

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent enthusiast

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  06:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found my answer. I was double-checking the shimano HB-M525 hub exploded diagram against the wheels manufacturing shimano hubs parts list diagram with everything (third link below), and that one shows the HB-M525 with the dustcaps. I'm pretty sure that's my huckleberry.

Wheels mfg. diagrams parts list page: http://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts.html

Shimano exploded view of HB-M525 (at wheels mfg site):
http://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/hub/hb-m525.pdf

Wheels mfg shimano hubs exploded diagram / parts list PDF:
http://www.wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/explodedviewcharts.pdf

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent enthusiast

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  07:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bah, cones don't match. That's not it.

I swear when I threw a caliper on it yesterday I got a 17mm outer diameter for the cone -- but shimano fronts are all 15mm, rears are 17.

I'll have to remeasure next month when I can pull apart the other wheel for regular overhaul. Off for a 2-week tour tomorrow.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  06:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=6797&page=2

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent enthusiast

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  07:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm. In that thread there's reference both to shimano & formula hubs as fronts on the NoCom. Nothing on the current formula page seems to match what I've got.

My best hope for spares is probably CincyRay's offer.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent enthusiast

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2017 :  19:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cincyray? You back from vacation?

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic