eclipse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  17:06:43  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thinking of riding down to see the eclipse in southern Il or Ky. Depending on viewing weather.

C:
Tony Levand

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  17:08:17  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1o0&doc_id=19892&v=1e

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  07:41:56  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like it will be in the 90s in Southern Illinois next week, no weather to be riding inside a faring.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3704 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  16:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad. Best reason for a trip, ever.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  21:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rode over 40 miles today in my fully faired trike today, and it was 96-97 degrees. I had things my wife wanted me to do before i could ride, so I rode between 2-4 pm. I sure would not want to do it every day. I rode to the gym to lift weights at twilight and rode back in complete darkness. I have been riding for about 8 nights now. It is much cooler and is different from riding during the day light. Things come up on you faster and it is harder for me to differentiate between things. But I am enjoying riding at night. Hopefully in another week, it will be 2nd nature for me. As for the eclipse, we will only have a partial eclipse. I guess I'll take my welding hood on Monday just in case.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  14:10:50  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Riding home in the dark or riding unfamiliar roads hundreds of miles from home in the dark are two different things. Its suppose to cool off Wednesday, but thats still 2 days in 95 to 100 heat index outside the bike. I think I'll plan on October for my next long ride.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  18:25:54  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may ride home after all, looks like the weather forecast now is cooling down Tuesday.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1o0&doc_id=19892&v=1e

Super cheapo ultra light dome tent ($17) ebay:

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 08/20/2017 18:27:10
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  03:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is my tent, except mine is silver/blue/black Riding in the dark in an unfamiliar area is strange and nerve racking. A bicyclist close to here, got hit by a deer as he was riding along at night. He had two head lights, but the deer came out of the shadows, and he never saw it. They said he had several broken bones in his face and head!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3704 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  08:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think a deer could beat up Jerry!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  15:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wouldn't even take a deer to beat up Jerry. Maybe a deer mouse!

Edited by - Jerry on 08/21/2017 15:29:05
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  05:09:04  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't ride. Had everything packed in the minivan. It was hot and traffic was crazy. We got there just 5 minutes before totality. It was really cool, just lasted 2 minutes 40 seconds. The sun winked out in an instant. Saw the corona..saw Venus. The cows were making a big ruckus, "MOOO..N" Visited my grandfather's and grand mother's graves not far away. Drove the bike route last half there and back, as the interstate 57 and rt 45 were jammed. Got the minivan full of limestone dust from the gravel roads.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 08/22/2017 06:23:50
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  05:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool picture Tony. Wish I could have been there. Not much to look at in north TX.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  11:23:38  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha, I tried the tent last night. It started to rain and I found that I needed to zip up the door to keep the rain out. Well, you do that and there is absolutely no venting. So I need to cut a hole in the top, sew in bug screen and a rain flap over that. I may also sew in a strip of tyvek around the door, kind of an over hang to keep the rain out. Ohter than that its easy to set up and plenty of head room inside. its a little short, have to put the air pad at an angle and my face is in the corner, again no venting for warm weather.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  14:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that is not my tent after all. Mine looks like it, but has a zippered window for ventilation. Everything else looks pretty much identical.

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2876 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  18:19:44  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine has only one zippered door.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000