Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  18:25:11  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to meet Jerry on the Natchez Trace in October. I don't have the details, not sure if I am riding from home, 1000 miles to Natchez or driving there and just ridding the trace for a few days. That's the plan anyway. I don't think the 26x26 bike would be ready so it would be the carp. I have two routes to Natchez, the flat route an the scenic route with lots of hills.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/13/2017 15:04:08

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  05:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to decide weather to use the corovelo or Baron. I will start in Natchez and ride north 2-3 days and then turn around and ride back to the van in Natchez. I wanted to ride the entire Trace, but have too much to do, such as move again into a new house. I will meet up with Tony as soon as we can work out the details.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  20:22:17  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trying to decide which is better, the 27F 3 season sleeping bag or the cheap down bag that I added filler to, with a down jacket and long johns. Bag 1 weights 2.4 lbs, bag 2, 1.5 lbs, jacket is .66 lbs and PP long johns .3 lbs. So weight is about the same. Down jacket is warm when out of the sleeping bag, so maybe that's better, don't have to warm up the cold sleeping bag. Bag 1 is suppose to have water resistant down, so maybe that's warmer in the mornings. It would be easier to get up and out, motivated with the warm jacket on.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/18/2017 20:24:42
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  22:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Official high today, 99.4 degrees! I don't really know what to take or wear. I sure hope it cools off considerably by the time of trip. I can not sleep when sweating! If it is still around 90, I will be staying where there is AC. If it cools off, I will camp.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  05:46:00  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the polar vortex will save us from the global greenhouse. If its 90, I cant ride. I was not motivated to do anything on the bike after work yesterday. I only packed cloths into zip-lock bags. I wanted to be lighter, but it looks like I am carrying more weight than the Minnesota trip. Bike is in better tune. Got the Zener and Shockley diodes for lighting in the mail.

Have you notices sun rise and set are more brilliant near the equinox? The whole sky was orange this morning, good thing Im not sailing. 71 and 100% humidity at, only rode 32 miles, soaked when I got home.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/21/2017 08:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  08:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really cooled off yesterday, only reached 94! Ha. Allergies so bad I did not ride yesterday. The allergy medicine along with my regular medicine let me sleep almost 12 hours. Not riding today either, too groggy. I will go out Saturday and Sunday and do rides of 50-70 miles.

Red sky in morning, sailor take warning. I found this to be true on Lake Carlyle, IL several years ago. The wind was so strong we had 3-5 foot whitecaps. Two people drowned that day! Not wearing life jackets and drinking alcohol when their boat capsized.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  06:29:16  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the ride this morning, I have to take the seat out to change the rear cool stops. I can see why its creaking at the same time, install the rear lighting circuit and put some Tyvk over the exposed chain. Only high of 90 today, then slowly cooling down each day, next Friday high of 65, I hope it doesn't get warm again by the week after.

Rode 45 miles...

... Well the pads were OK and aligned, I didn't have to replace them. There were some pieces of metal embedded in the rubber, probably from grinding on the frame. New ones are installed. Not an easy task, crawling inside the fairing and barely able to see the pad on the rim. One thing off the check list.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/23/2017 11:32:49
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  11:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got out and rode 50 miles before 11 am, so it wasn't as hot as it has been, upper 80's. But the grasses and weeds are 6 feet tall and the allergies they put off are terrible. I was going to go down to Glen Rose, TX and ride the 26.5 mile loop today, but decided to ride here instead. Jason Perez rode the 503.5 miles in a new recumbent record at 18.28 mph. I feel kind of like a wimp, but I outweigh him by over 70 pounds and had a fully loaded bike. My bike loaded and me, around 270 pounds. Jason and his bike, around 160-170 pounds.

I think I need a new front rotor and disc brakes pads. I'll check them out and replace if needed. I'll clean and re-lube the chain before the trip. The tires are new and everything is working normal. I think I am good to go. Just hope it cools down before the trip. With the heat and humidity, I sweat so much it is hard to replenish my electrolytes.

Finished the day with a little over 65 miles.

Edited by - Jerry on 09/23/2017 20:49:30
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  14:38:50  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There seemed to be alot of friction on the chain tube, when I took the seat out I found the chain had worn through. There was about 1 3/4 inch interference with the seat tube. I welded in another idler pulley just in front of the seat. I have to go to a wedding now, or I'll be in deep soup with the wife, I'll get it back together later today and try it out....

... Alternator went out in minivan last night... have to fix it today. Bike stuff curtailed.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/24/2017 07:25:56
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2017 :  07:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got out the door at 6 am to go do my ride. The humidity is so bad that I was drenched in sweat in less than a minute. Humidity is suppose to drop off later this evening. I think I'll wait until then to ride. By Friday or Saturday, highs in the 70's! That is my kind of weather.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2017 :  10:42:38  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alternator was a simple fix, 2 bolts, 2 connections and the belt. I used paypal online to Autozone and picked it up. It took longer to dive to the minivan than to fix it. At least it didn't happen when wife was driving down to MS to pick me up. I have the seat back in the bike. I will go for a short test ride later. Suppose to be 91 today, yesterday they said 87 today.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  19:25:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took the seat out again. I couldn't get he pads adjusted, always dragging, and mushy, so I ground off the wiper on the leading edge of the cool stop pads and reseated them. I wrap a bungee on the brake lever, then loosen the pad nut and get the pad so its flush against the rim, with some clearance to the tire and retighten. Test ride tomorrow.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/25/2017 19:26:26
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  05:59:31  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last day of the heat wave it goodbye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRrOEbY3pI

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/26/2017 15:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  07:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran out of water yesterday on my 45 mole ride. It was hot and very muggy. I was pushing too hard and started cramping. Got to the RV and tried to get rehydrated. Had the chills and shakes. Then stomach distress. Woke up this morning stiff and sore. I guess 1/2 gallon of water with 3 electrolyte tablets were not enough today. It should be in the 70's by the week-end. I sure hope so, I am so tired of this heat. It has been hot here since April.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  13:12:36  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Rode 35 miles this morning. Seat is in a good position and the chain drive never felt so smooth and quiet, now with the new idler. Something is momentarily getting stuck in the rear wheel, almost like putting the brake on, leaves maybe. Don't have time till after work to look at it. Roadie on the path passed me as I was just starting, Then I stopped to clear the wheel. Caught up and passed at 34 mph.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  12:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave the Musashi at my daughter's house so I can ride with the grandsons. This morning while they were at school and pre-school, I took the Musashi out for a short 20 mile ride. I forgot what a great riding and easy riding bike it is. I was about 2 miles from the end of my ride. I rode to the bottom of a steep little hill and was turning around. A roadie came blasting past. I passed him about a 1/2 mile later at around 28. I had a big smile on my face as I went on down the street at 28-30 mph for about 1/2 mile more. Speed limit 30 and a guy pulls up next to me at a stop sign and gives me a big thumbs up. I am starting to lean toward taking the Musashi on the Natchez trip! If only it had disc front brake.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  05:29:04  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sewed up a little bike bag last night.

Water filter, TP, tooth brush, tooth paste, floss, soap, shampoo, razor, vitamins,sea salt, pathes, swiss army knife, thread, needle, channel locks...

Its 47 outside this morning. I put on all my warm cloths, except the balaclava, and took a nap outside in the sleeping bag. This is colder than I expect to be on the trip. I was warm enough to sleep, though my legs were a little cold. The tent would be a little warmer and would keep the breeze off. I think I have enough cloths.
C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/28/2017 06:08:21
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  07:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a water proof bag for my clothes and small water proof containers for stuff like wallet, medicine, toiletries, etc.

I am taking two wicking shirts, two wicking shorts, two polypropylene socks, underwear, long sleeve shirt, long pants that can be zippered off to shorts, light weight all weather jacket, wool socks, insulated and light weight riding gloves.

Two tubes for front tire and two for rear tire. Tube repair kit, tire changing tools, multi-tool, folding saw, bike tool kit, and full size air pump. Soda can alcohol stove and small 2 cup pot. Small bottle of alcohol. Coffee and instant oatmeal. I will boil water if I have to for drinking. Still sorting out what else I am taking. Trying to decide if I really need to take spare tires or not. Probably not.

It has really cooled down since it started raining. I will try the hammock out tomorrow night. I have four small inflatable air pads to go between the layers of double layer hammock. The larger air pad didn't work as well as the 4 smaller pads, they stayed in place better. Also a camping pad. Tarp for ridge line in case of rain. Lows in the 50's-60's. Bad news, it is going to be back in the 90's next week! Yuck!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  15:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last minute change of choice! I am taking the Musashi. I have ordered a short pull brake lever instead of the long pull lever on it. The long pull is about useless. The Musashi is better suited for a tour than the Baron. I am building a larger tail box to hold everything to keep them from getting wet. Will be using the double layered hammock instead of my tent, which I left in storage back in MO. Hopefully I'll get the tail box done tomorrow and be able to take an overnight shake down ride. If it is around 90 degrees, no shake down over night. I will load everything I plan to take, and just go on a 50-60 mile ride before it gets too hot instead. Around 10 days before I head to MS.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  21:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I'll be making the trip by myself. Tony has had some misfortune and can't make the trip. I will let Tony give the details.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  06:18:29  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry had an unfortunate mishap and wont be riding Natchez this fall.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/05/2017 06:35:20
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  06:27:40  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently, a dormant welding spark ignited in the fairing, the ensuing fire completely consumed the Carp bike, leaving a chard, rusty twisted frame and melted aluminum. The inside of the garage and everything in it is covered black with soot. It washes off witht he power washer, except were there was grease or oil, leaving hand prints a forensic detective would be proud of. It will take several weeks to clean every thing. Camping gear is also lost.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/05/2017 06:30:22
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  07:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony had his bike burn up in a fire, and I had a fall. No, not on the bike, the stairs to the attic in the house we are trying to buy collapsed because of the wrong kind and size screws. They used 3/4" drywall screws to install the ladder. Needed 2". Anyway, the stairs fell with me on them about 5 feet to concrete floor. Banged up pretty good and sore. Scariest part was the large bulging around where I had my hernia surgery in my groin. The mesh apparently nicked a small blood vessel. The area always gets sore after riding. I guess this trip was not meant to be! Maybe next year.

Edited by - Jerry on 10/05/2017 07:38:33
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  08:06:46  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, sorry to hear that the Carp is gone! You are lucky that you didn't lose your whole garage. It's amazing that the coroplast burned hot enough to melt the aluminum without catching anything else on fire. Now you will have to build something new. Phoenix. I get it now...

And Jerry - take care of yourself, man! I think you need some daily wear body armor.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
929 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  09:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just glad Tony's house didn't burn down and no one was injured. As for me, I have had a run of luck, all bad! Ha. We both will be back to par soon.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  16:56:53  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it looks hurricane weather next week anyway...

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000