Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  06:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a ridge line about 83% of the length of your hammock? It made a big difference for me. Now I lie flat, or close to it. If it hurts your calf, you can use a pad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfBrIEH2-U
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  06:32:15  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ridge line is a good idea, but won't solve how I sleep in a hammock.

18F this morning. I am driving to work, I'll ride back at lunch. Rode to Easter dinner yesterday, 35F without the front fairing. I wore sandals with wool socks. I think toes were not any colder than with the tight shoes. I'll have to make the fairing fit them as the soles are wider, and leave black marks inside. I will sandals on the tour. New front tire seems to ride smoother with 75 psi. Seeming little progress made this week end, 12 days to the big R day. Need to make a to do list.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/02/2018 06:33:00
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  06:57:46  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THEME SONG:

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  07:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a side/stomach sleeper, but in the hammock, I tend to sleep on my back. I could never sleep on my back in a bed or on the ground. I can't get enough padding under me to sleep on the ground anymore.

40 here this morning, high of mid 50's. That doesn't sound too cold, except we had 85-90 degrees just a couple of days ago.

I need to get busy with the tail box. I also need to get more mileage in. Trying to figure out where to put what so I don't have to guess where everything is on the bike. It has been a while since my last real tour, over 3 years.

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  08:08:49  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I put heavy stuff at the bottom. Stuff I use more often at he top,except tent should be near the top, so everything does not have to be unpacked and put on the ground to get to it. Then pad then sleeping bag, chronological order. I put warm clothes for cool weather in one bag, underwear and sock in another, cycling clothes in the third bag....Labels are good for the memory impaired. The insulated static V is good. My hips don't touch the ground when on my side. I turn over quite often and in a hammock its hard to do especially when wrapped in a sleeping bag.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/02/2018 08:12:24
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  11:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started on my tail box. I decided to completely rebuild it, so, off to Home Depot for another sheet of coroplast. I am making it for touring, not racing.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  16:27:09  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1o0&page_id=539434&v=1z

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  20:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your hanging around time!
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=539774&v=1c

I think I will stick to about 16"s off the ground. Sure would hurt if something broke.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  21:02:02  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The guy underneath will brake the fall. Rode 40 after work, 10 in the dark.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/02/2018 21:06:59
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  06:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hate to be the person underneath. Yikes! That journal has really inspired me even more to do this tour. I hope to take my grand kids there one day for bicycle riding and camping.

I hope to ride today after the weather has been too nasty the last two days. Will also work on tail box. Maybe I can get it finished today.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  06:26:33  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, considering the author has been on the road for a year, looks like he slept at the side of the road the first night on the trace.. 100% chance of rain and thunderstorms today.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  08:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met a man while riding close to my mom's house who rode the Trace with his 2 buddies. He is from LA, the other 2 from TX. They just pulled off the road each night and camped in the woods next to the Trace. He said they had no problems. They did camp one night at a bicycle only camp site and once at the visitor center camp site. The other nights they wild camped.

They changed the forecast here. No rain and it is already 15 degrees warmer than yesterday, and light winds. Warmer at 3 am than all day yesterday.

The light winds turned into 18 mph gusting to mid 20's.

I didn't get started on the tail box until around 1 pm. Will have it done in a couple more hours.
I had honey do jobs to get done earlier.

Edited by - Jerry on 04/03/2018 18:02:04
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  16:19:24  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a trace of rain for my commute home...I may try my bridge hammock again.

... A delightful commute, drizzle and 36F.
C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/03/2018 18:55:24
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  20:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished the tail box. I didn't like the top, so tomorrow I am making a lid for it to make it water tight. Took it out for a 5 mile test run with the wind blowing 15-28 mph. It was dark when I was pulling into my drive way. I was able to put 90% of my stuff I am taking on the trip with plenty of room to spare.

Only 60F here after getting up to 80F earlier. Brrrr.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  06:22:51  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
27F and snow flurries this morning. ..Oh did I mention the 20 mph wind.
https://www.rei.com/product/110804/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-air-hammock

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/04/2018 09:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  09:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
40F this morning, but felt colder at 4:45. The high tomorrow is forecast as 85F then 35F at night.

Looks like you could roll around in that hammock pretty easy. Maybe you will like it.

I will finish my tail box this morning then go for a 30-40 mile ride later. I might have to strap one or two items to the top of tail box when I load up with extra water and food.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  07:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered the tarp material 6 days ago, haven't heard from them if they shipped it or not. I will call them today.

I finished the tail box last night. I actually re-did the inside. Now I have a lot more room inside it. I should be able to carry all my stuff now. I have the lid for it almost done. Will finish that this morning. I would have had it all done yesterday, but my neighbor texted me and we went for a ride. It turned into a race! The open tail box was like a parachute but I won! Haha. We were both worn out from the effort. Slept very well last night.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  07:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checked my email. The tarp material has shipped. Be here Saturday.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  08:42:25  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im getting a used Big Angus seedhouse sl1 tent.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/05/2018 10:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  12:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few pictures of cargo/tail box. I have everything plus extras in it. /img]
/img]
/img]
/img]
/img]

Now going for a spin with it fully loaded up around the neighborhood.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  12:45:21  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im guessing the guitar and bucket didn't fit. Showing us the scab on your elbow, it looks fine. I got the tent, friend at work gave it to me. Older model, needs sealing. Back is feeling better, too cold to ride this morning anyway, 23. I get to dress up and work on radioactive contaminated equipment in the hot room for my last week at argonne, can't think of anything I would like better than that. Except maybe tripping and falling into a pile of poop or rodding out the sewer.

Do you have a plan to get back from Nashville?

You still need a front fender.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/05/2018 13:52:32
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  14:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guitar goes on top and the bucket is my kick stand! The scab is on the other arm. I keep knocking it off when working on the cargo box. Then have to hold a rag on it to stop the bleeding. I rode the bike with cargo box about 3 miles with the wind blowing 15-20. No problem.

I am riding back to the van. I am thinking about turning around close to Collinwood, TN and head back down to Natchez. That will give me over 720 miles. That will be enough for my 1st tour in several years. I am still planning on riding to Nashville in October. Hopefully the other two guys will not back out.

Fender, that is what the frame tube is for, isn't it? Lol. I plan on putting a piece of coroplast under the frame tube blocking spray from the front wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mckg0
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  14:38:54  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of stuff in there, I hope it holds up. You could put straps across the rack and hang the sacks from them, that way all the weight isn't on the cable tie seams.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  16:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will hold up. I have carried even more than that in my old cargo box on the Phantom. I had almost 60 pounds loaded in that old thing. The weight is a lot less now. Went back out and rode to Home Depot for some red seam tape and silver/red reflectors for the box. The ones with the little pieces of shaped glass. Took the long way there and back, 13 miles instead of about 5 miles. Wind still blowing. The bike handles well.

Going to put reflectors on and tape up all the seams. Might even put the coroplast around the front wheel.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  20:23:47  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bought a frogge rain poncho at walmart, camp dry for the fly, spork and fishing hooks.

Testing tent. Fly has no vent.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/06/2018 06:26:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000