Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  11:37:02  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You just let the tire rub on the spandex when turning?

Well, I cant put a hoop around the front wheel, like I did on the Carp, because the drive is in the way, it would be so wide, that I couldn't put my foot down around it. What ever I do it has to be on the doors themselves. Making notches in the doors for the tire on lesser turns catches the tire, and my shoe when trying to get out.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/19/2017 13:22:07
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6324 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  13:31:45  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, tire rubbed on the spandex in a slow turn. I left about a 2" slot for the wheel so it didn't rub normally. The spandex moves aside pretty easily when you put your foot down and reacts well in unanticipated stops. I velcroed it in place to make it easy to remove.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  13:59:55  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How far back did you attach the spandex, so it has enough stretch for the sharpest turn? Did you put it inside or outside? I suppose I could put a small piece of HDPE to wear on so, the doesn't burn through. I hate when that stuff gets wet, flaps like a flag.

... I bought some stretchy fabric an Joannes.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/19/2017 15:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  20:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I am using a spandex/nylon/polyester blend on the corovelo. It didn't sag like regular spandex does when wet. Washes up better too. I bought it at Joannes also.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  06:39:43  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hesitated to cut out the hour glass in the bomb bay doors for full steering. I folded the coroplast over several times to make a plastic hinge Where I had marked the hour glass, making small triangular flaps. The flaps open, either up or down when the tire rubs. The tire rubs on the surface and not on the edge like the full door. Still its not pretty. I need to add a bungee cord to the center of whats left of the bomb bay door, to keep it closed, as it is now disconnected from the aft portion and bungee. I should have test ridden it yesterday, when it was warm. Maybe I can at lunch time today.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6324 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  09:54:14  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My foot hole was from the end of the nose cone to the seat, so it was a good sized hole. It was velcroed to the inside of the fairing. The loops side of the velcro was sewn to the spandex. I folded the spandex over in the slot hole and sewed it so it was double thick there. I didn't notice any issues with the wheel wearing the spandex out.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  08:29:49  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A great velomobilist once said "People in America shouldn't watch the weather channel, it scares them into staying home." Well, the forecast has reversed again, expecting mid 40s as highs on the trace after Christmas, and not wintry conditions.. Id still have to finish the bike and get a ride to Nashville.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  08:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet it will still be wet! I have decided to build another coroplast camper. This time instead of being a wind drag, I will make it as a pop-up camper. Make a light weight trailer and store everything flat until I get to my nightly stop. Pulling a flat trailer does not slow me down as much as putting everything on my bike or in my corovelo. Plus, I will be able to carry more stuff! Now to see what is the best, fastest way to put it together each day, or night.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  10:51:01  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The fastest, of course would be to make it like the instant tents that pop into shape when you throw them on the ground. Just untie a string and ping, its set up. They use fiberglass rods shaped into hoops. You'll have to have enough weight so its not a flying wing.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/21/2017 10:54:39
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  12:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking of making an axle like I used on my catamaran sailboat to use under a camping cot. Take the axle out from under cot at camping spot. Either use a tent, tarp, or coroplast over the cot. I could haul all my gear on the cot/trailer. When I get over, if ever, this bug, I will experiment with this idea. I really like putting all my supplies and gear on a trailer. Just works better for me. 100 pounds on a trailer is easier than 35 pounds on my bike. Plus, I seem not to lose stuff as often when I use a trailer. Use the hammock when warmer, cot when cooler. Sometimes though, I just can't sleep in a hammock.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  12:41:39  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could make it like a covered wagon, with semi-hoops of fiberglass rod sewn into the cover, when you stop for the night, just fold them up and tie a line off each end. During touring they would lay flat over the kitchen sink in the cot/hammock. You could put the gear under the cot when sleeping, to keep the rain and dew off.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/21/2017 12:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  14:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I kind of like that idea! Pop-up covered wagon. Make little coroplast storage bins to go under the cot to hold the gear, bins that fold up flat when not in use. With a coroplast lid it would help keep the cold off too. Use one or two of my 2" thick outdoor furniture cushions for a mattress. I am at the point where I do not like trying to lie on the ground, even with an air mattress. I like being off the ground about 10-12 inches. It helps getting up and back down again in the middle of the night and mornings.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  18:44:22  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a nose, I was going to shape foam and cover it with kevlar, but I am time crunched and didn't think I'd do a good job at it, so I made it out of coroplast. I put duck tape over the hole in the tip, just for the test ride, I could cover it with black spandex with silver glitter stripes (was on clearance). I put some bungees on the foot door, test ride to see if they get caught in my feet.

... The test ride went OK. There some rubbing, but I was cruising in top gear around the parking lot (20 mph). Needs a bigger chain wheel now. My feet were warm, 37F. I might be able to slit the nose strips a little farther aft, plenty of shoe clearance.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/21/2017 19:51:50
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  20:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was notified today that the 2 nose cones I bought off Ebay cleared customs. One for the corovelo and one for the Baron.

Put the black glitter strips on it.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  06:24:14  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That nose should be better than the flower pots.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

I was notified today that the 2 nose cones I bought off Ebay cleared customs. One for the corovelo and one for the Baron.

Put the black glitter strips on it.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  07:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but it would be hard to grow a lemon tree in the nose cone as I am doing in the pot! The tree is about 3 1/2' tall now.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6324 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  08:54:05  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony - OR
4x8 sheet of the 2" polystyrene foam is under $20.
You can use the super 77 spray from home depot to glue layers together into a block
Use a large course file to shape it
Cover it in packing tape.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  09:54:26  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Warren, I have the 2 in foam boards and spray adhesive. Is packaging tape better in rain than duct tape?

Getting it patched together:

...A lot of cold air comes in through the bay door. Coroplast gets brittle when cold, the plastic hinge broke when my foot got stuck getting out. A front wheel cover would block some of the opening.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/22/2017 15:54:44
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6324 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  11:07:31  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The packing tape should lay flatter and won't wrinkle up up and get funky in the sun, and you can use it to tape the nose cone onto the Coroplast.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  15:31:23  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made front fabric wheel covers from black polyester Halloween fabric. I should have ironed it first, as the wrinkles are still there. I used 1/8 fiberglass rod from my "covered wagon" bivy tent made from a tarp. The rods are a little too stiff, I think 1/4 OD Pex tubing would work better, and would bring the cover out closer to the rim edge. The rods are from Mc Master Carr. I cut circle using a tire as a guide, then I cut flaps, hotmelt glued them with 3 dabs with a string inside and sewed them up. Maybe using more glue would negate the needd for sewing. A 3/16 brake line was perfect for joining the rod into a hoop. I gave the disks a good coat of clear enamel and made 8 clips from the licence plate.

I also hotmelt glued the black glitter striped spanedex over the hole were the hinge broke, folding itover on the inboard edge. I will do the other side and maybe the front triangle cutouts too. Then it should be fairly well sealed up.

Need to test ride.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/22/2017 15:56:26
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  12:43:36  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, for the topic of LWB vs SWB coroliners, LWB wins in being warmer. The front wheel can be sealed up, except for a small hole for the steering linkage. SWB always has a big (2 inch wide, 80 sq in) holes for steering the front wheel. Rode half hour today, 32F, 16 mph wind. Feet were warm, shoulder cold. I ran over the cat with the back wheel, he was under the bike as I started in the driveway, A big bump, I thought something was wrong with the bike, until I saw him run out. He seems OK, just a little miffed. I put a new Tyvek cover on the helmet and painted it florescent orange, then a coat of florescent yellow, and then clear coat. The plane orange dint look bright in the sun, now its brighter orange.

... The back tire was flat this afternoon, nothing obvious, it was on the rim side. I went to REI and got a new tube, thinking the one I have was mis-labeled 35-43 because it was the exact same width as my 28-32 inner tube. Well its the same width too, 35-43 and too small, as it only fills about half the tire before it starts stretching. Weird feeling. I'll have to try the 29 x 1.9-2.5 size, next time. I put some minwax on the sidewalls, trying to make them less sticky.

The wife wants to drop me off in Natchez and go tour New Orleans, as I ride north on the trace, then pick me up on the way home. This would give me a head wind the whole way, rain and snow mixed and freezing rain likely on Wednesday and night and a chance of rain on Thursday, 30% chance of snow on Friday, mostly sunny on Saturday, high 42 south, 34 north.

Its crappy weather forcast.

I think I'll call in off.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/23/2017 17:37:45
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  21:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that would be a wise move Tony. The low will range from 19-37 for Nashville, and 20's-40's Natchez.

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  09:56:14  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I exchanged the tube for a 29 x 1.9-2.3 It fills the tire nicely. Don't buy tubes from REI, they are in a unmarked box, but the tube inside is Kenda brand. My experience with Kenda tubes is they are permeable and leak down, have to be pumped up weekly. Getting snow today, 3-4 inches so no test riding. Did some 4 wheeling after skidding off the I88 exit ramp.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/24/2017 09:57:58
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3288 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  06:56:31  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The tip of my toe is sore again, the toe next to the one last time, and I know my feet didn't get cold. It feels like a splinter, but on close inspection there are two tiny marks, fangs, a spider must have been lurking in my winter socks, not worn since last season, and bit the tip of my toe. Brown recluse are prolific around here.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  07:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of my mother got bitten by a Brown Recluse about 10 years ago on his foot. He had a lot of trouble with it. If I remember correctly, he had a place about the size of a half tennis ball turn black and kind of rotted off. He has a pretty large size depression now. The doctors told him he got medical help too late as he waited about a week before seeking medical help. I hope yours turns out better.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000