Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  17:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, just retire and bring it down here. Temp was in the 80's for 2 days, 50's yesterday, and 64 today. It will be in the 70's most of next week.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  07:45:11  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They said they'd like a 60 day notice. I just have to give a date. They have to hire a replacement as I'm the only ME left in the division. I have to fix the heal to derailleur interference. A, I could move the cranks and seat forward or B I could make shorter cranks. I'll check the clearance using the old Suntour derailleur first. The Shimano shifts better though.

I have 9 speeds with the 58 tooth, 9 speeds with the 48 tooth, 5 speeds with the 36 tooth and 3 speeds with the 28 tooth, 28 total. I filed down the cage take up stop to get more. Probably have 160 degrees rotation, Chain is stretched on one extreme and nearly folded back on the other.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 02/18/2018 07:49:30
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  12:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you going to be ready for April? I just read an article by Greg Kolodziejzyk who hooked up his BoB trailer and took a tour with it hooked up to his NoCom. It was only 125 miles round trip with 50 pounds of stuff on the trailer http://www.adventuresofgreg.com/HPB/2009_07_24_archive.html . Hmmm, touring at 25 mph! Gives me an idea about doing the Natchez Trace.

Edited by - Jerry on 02/18/2018 12:26:55
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  19:06:57  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ha

This Sun Tour S-1 derailleur looks very interesting:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-SUNTOUR-S1-RDS-110-REAR-DERAILLEUR/401435327616?hash=item5d7768fc80:g:eCYAAOSwyYFZ~Ena

...I bought one, should be here first of March from France.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 02/18/2018 19:50:29
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  07:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a date in mind for the Natchez Trace tour? I have had emails back and forth with an attorney from Alaska. He is riding north to south and the back north on the Trace in April. His name is David Edgren and he has a journal here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=537770&v=L . He is a detail sort of person as you can see by the amount of time he spent on this map.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  11:56:25  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, you haven read his guest book. He's on the Facebook Over 60 Cycling group too. You should join, I did. His itinerary is down to the mile, ha, seems a little bit obsessive.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1o0&doc_id=20330&v=OY

No defined date, Mid April or so.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Do you have a date in mind for the Natchez Trace tour? I have had emails back and forth with an attorney from Alaska. He is riding north to south and the back north on the Trace in April. His name is David Edgren and he has a journal here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=537770&v=L . He is a detail sort of person as you can see by the amount of time he spent on this map.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/07/2018 18:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  18:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I read his quest book and I don't do FB. He and I emailed each other, then talked on the cell phone with him. He is very obsessive! He argues about the mileage on each trip he takes. I told him I might see him on the Trace, but I don't think I could ride very long with him. Nice guy, just too obsessive about little things.

I emailed Velomobile USA in Midland, TX and the owner, Dave, emailed me back. Then a few days later he called me on my cell. He is a really nice guy and I plan on making the trip over there to tour his place. He said when I come, I can take a FAW+ out for the day and try it out.

This young man in IL has built his 4th version of a corovelo. I like how he has the turtle deck and hood. I am going to copy some of his build on my corovelo. http://www.eternalcycleworks.com
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  18:47:56  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I met Chase at his house, I rode the Carp there a couple of years ago. He posts on the FB Corovelo group.

This young man in IL has built his 4th version of a corovelo. I like how he has the turtle deck and hood. I am going to copy some of his build on my corovelo. http://www.eternalcycleworks.com
[/quote]

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/07/2018 19:03:31
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  19:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chase is in the process of moving or has already moved to Colorado. I first heard about him when he and the young guy from France built two velos and rode them from IL to CO in 2011. Pretty cool!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  18:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, do you think you will have a lwb bike built by the Natchez tour?
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  19:40:24  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jerry, I doubt it. It would be too much of a rush. I restrung the swb seat today, the eyelets were giving out. I'll put the tail on tomorrow and shorten the front brake cable housing, test ride before putting the nose on. Oh wait, I need to fix the derailleur hitting my heel. That Suntour s-1 was suppose to be here by now.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/09/2018 19:43:58
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  09:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if you really had enough time to build a new bike in time for the tour.

After the 17th Senior Games, I am going to concentrate on getting my corovelo done. If I don't have the corovelo completed, I'll use the Baron with my two-4 gallon plastic panniers. I will use my hammock just because I do not like sleeping on the ground anymore. I need to get my mosquito netting re-sawn and install new bungie cord.

My winter tour will be somewhere around Pensacola to Key West and maybe back up to St Augustine. I can not take the cold air bike riding anymore. I get sick too easily breathing cold air. I also want to take a short tour to Midland, TX and back, maybe by swinging down to San Antonio and Austin on the way back.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  11:30:39  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How are the mosquitoes in April? There are none here. Do I need netting on the tent?

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

I was wondering if you really had enough time to build a new bike in time for the tour.

After the 17th Senior Games, I am going to concentrate on getting my corovelo done. If I don't have the corovelo completed, I'll use the Baron with my two-4 gallon plastic panniers. I will use my hammock just because I do not like sleeping on the ground anymore. I need to get my mosquito netting re-sawn and install new bungie cord.

My winter tour will be somewhere around Pensacola to Key West and maybe back up to St Augustine. I can not take the cold air bike riding anymore. I get sick too easily breathing cold air. I also want to take a short tour to Midland, TX and back, maybe by swinging down to San Antonio and Austin on the way back.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  12:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the first things this guy learned when he stopped to camp was mosquitos in April. http://www.oldguyonabicycle.com/natchez-trace-parkway-april-2010/ . If it rains a day or two before, the mossies will be even thicker.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  08:11:08  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are there no-see-ums in April?

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  09:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about on the Trace, but when it gets above about 60 degrees, No See Ums are every where in north central Louisiana and all through GA and Fl. I think temperatures above 60 degrees is No See Um time.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  12:01:21  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The average high in April is 75, in Tupleo, the midpoint. I'll need a bug proof tent. Working on sealing up the tail this morning, then a test ride. No s-1 Derailleur yet.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  21:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got out my bug net today and to my surprise, it had a big chunk missing. I found most of it and had to sew it back together. It is no see um fabric. I am going to get some tulle and sew over my patched up part. I guess it got ripped apart during the move! I will start camping out in the hammock to get use to it again. I have 3 different foam pads for insulation and 4 small inflatable air pads. The 4 small pads do not move around as much and don't get so bunched up as a single air mattress.

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  06:37:31  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I rode 26 miles yesterday, it put things into perspective, since I hadn't ridden much in January and February. Most likely I will ride from Natchez to Nashville and not start out from home. I can meet you in Natchez. I would like to bring my thermrest foam pad, but I think its just too big to fit the bike. I bought a super light air pad, but found it to be shivering cold. It has an r value of 1 vs 3 for the foam pad. I didn't think a difference of 2 would matter, but in actuality its has 3 times the insulation. The same holds for my inflatable pillow, not comfy in cool weather. I dont need a pillow with thermorest pad,as it is too long , so I just roll up one end. I haven't decided what tent to bring. Either the dome tent, 3.5, lbs or the homemade tarp bivy tent, 1.5 lbs. Id have to put a mosquito proof door on it. The dome is roomier, the tarp is rainproof. The derailleur was suppose to be here 3 days ago, I hope its not lost, no tracking. I tried out the foam pad and bivy tent on the fox hunt Saturday, I was comfy warm with my down coat and long johns in 35 degree weather for 3 hours. I am going to start riding to work everyday, starting today as soon as it gets light out. T-minus one month.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/12/2018 06:44:32
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  08:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/tupelo-ms/38804/month/333983?monyr=4/01/2018 . I haven't completely decided on the hammock or tent. It doesn't take long to get cold in a hammock at 50 degrees. I am going to try and get use to the hammock with the right amount of bottom insulation over the next few weeks. After the races Saturday, I am going to start riding longer daily mileage. I have about 150 miles since October. My longest ride has been about 22 miles. I'll go out and ride Tuesday at a brisk pace then take it easy until after the races. I am signed up for the 5k, 10k, and 20k. I doubt I am in good enough condition to do all 3 in the same day! Maybe the 5k and 10k. Then I will go into touring mode. I need to get in at least one long ride or 50-60 miles before the trip.

Is your wife driving you down to Natchez? My wife and sister have planned a shopping trip and will drop me off around Natchez. If for some reason that falls through, I'll drive over and either park at the Elizabeth Female Academy parking, or find a local farmer and pay him $20 or so to leave my van on his farm. I would rather find a farmer. People have had their vehicles vandalized parking long term on the Trace. The one thing that worries me is the brand new tires. It doesn't take too long to pull up, put concrete blocks next to to each tire, let out the air from the tire, then take off the lug nuts. Gone in less than 5 minutes. I have personally seen this happen several times from working in St. Louis for the past 40 years. A group of 5 guys in less than 30 minutes made off with 9-10 sets of tires. Two pickup trucks and 5 guys. My little Dodge Omni was just a few cars away. They went for the pickup truck and van tires. The little 13" tires on the Omni aren't worth their trouble.

It took 9 extra days for one of my nose cones to make it to me. Five other packages have been from 3-9 days late. I ordered a set of chain rings from China 3 weeks ago and they say it will be 2-3 more weeks. Must be coming by junket! Maybe they are going around Cape Horn instead of Panama Canal!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  09:56:41  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bring your corovelo, so I can try it. Stuff from China take a long time. I think the wife agreed to drop me off and pick me up later.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  10:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My double layer hammock with repaired bug net and my new, thicker insulation pad. It was 85 Friday, it is in the low 40's now! If I bring the corovelo, I could sleep in it. I will start on the re-build of it tomorrow. The main redo is a re-moveable turtle deck for getting to storage easier.

I re-sized image in next post.

Edited by - Jerry on 03/12/2018 10:31:31
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  10:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, it worked. I re-sized the image. Wahoo!
The post in the picture was in the back yard when we bought the house. It is only about 10 inches in the ground. It will not support a hammock with a person in it.

/img]

Edited by - Jerry on 03/12/2018 21:01:32
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3309 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  19:02:31  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe you should bring your go-pro.....

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/natchez-trace-hit-and-run-wont-deter-injured-rider

Driver looking at 2 years in prison...

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1328 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  20:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never ride a bike without my GoPro, and now I take two other video cameras with me. I have the GoPro on my helmet facing forward, the other camera facing rear ward, and the 3rd camera for back up. I guess you can say I have 4 including my cell phone.

I still do not understand why upright riders refuse to use mirrors. I met a lady rider the other day when I was stopping taking a drink break on the NoCom. She told me she didn't wear a mirror now because all her biking friends made fun of her for wearing it. I noticed her ear plugs and she told me she only uses them in one ear. She listens to music in one ear and listens for cars with the other. What! You just can't fix stupid!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000