New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wroundey
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  20:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just learned that one of the local bike shops here in St Louis rents the Gateway Motor Speedway (in IL just across the river from St Louis) for a day of criterium racing each August. They use the 1.6 mile road course. I reached out to the organizer asking if they would consider adding a recumbent class. They are open to the idea if there are about 20 recumbent riders racing (to make it financially worthwhile for track rental....) They are requiring other racers to purchase a UCF one-day license (if they are not already licensed). Do you think we could find 20 racers interested in such a race in addition to the race in Iowa? Just a pondering thought

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  18:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please look at the attendance of the Iowa event last weekend. It is a popular, well run event. But due(IMHO) to the distance and the waning interest in the sport, attendence was light. I put on an event in 2012 that offered what might have been the best cash and prize list for any hpv race at the time, and a terrific venue with professional race management. And while I had a terrific list of riders, only 13 signed up. So, while it would be nice to have such an event, getting the attendance you need would be very challenging.
Go to Top of Page

wroundey
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  20:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been at the Iowa race in the past (and had hoped to get up this year) Maybe next year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000