Human Powered Boats (HPBs)
 Amphibious Quadyak Rebuild
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

triyak

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  15:49:17  Show Profile  Visit triyak's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the spring of 2016, the frame to my original Triyak/Quadyak got destroyed in a shop fire. Luckily the boat wasn't in the shop. I started sourcing parts and getting ready to rebuild, but it has taken nearly 1 1/2 years for that to happen. We are now just about done with the re-build. (We being me and my Dad, who is a retired engineer)

We have made some modifications this time around. The biggest two are we built with aluminum, not steel and we incorporated a way to lift the front axle which should give me a much better angle of the paddles when in water.

I have started a youtube playlist for this craft which will detail it's original build, my two long rides (350-400 mi), other points of interest and the rebuild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmQEZYyRcRg&list=PLwZ1Hk_9mCGRG02p95CPDwDHSzptWZ50z

I also have a facebook page for the craft and our adventures as well:
https://www.facebook.com/Quadyak

Follow along if you want.

triyak

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  10:01:05  Show Profile  Visit triyak's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just posted the final youtube video of the rebuild, so you can see the entire process now. The 4 rebuild videos total about an hour of view time.

I've ridden about 70 miles in the new version, which is about 20 lbs lighter than the first version. Had one major malfunction: I snapped the "pintle" that the steering bike gooseneck pivoted on. Dad and I rebuilt that using a steel collar (salvaged from a tow bar) with a much heavier shaft. Working fine now.

I'll be riding in my local Maple Leaf Parade in Carthage, MO tomorrow. Pics and vid from that to be posted on the youtube playlist in the future. I wanted to get a long road/trail/water trip this year, but doubt it will happen unless the stars of money/time/prior commitments all miraculously align.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000