Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Terry
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  12:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New poster here. I have been playing around with home made Velos for a few years.
I have had much help from members like ricmantoo and more recently Garrie Hill.
My interest is wood composite .the first Velo designed mostly by Rick turned out pretty well and I am now attempting to copy a WAW.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146970675@N08/shares/tf8K02
I usually have lots of questions about Velo construction and bike stuff? but I do have a pretty good background in wood composite projects,so I like to help out interested parties where I can. Computer workings is definately NOT my strong suit! I hope these links to pics work , I am still trying figure all this out!!!
I have resisted posting before to this section as it seemed to be going in odd directions with old odd stuff!? For awhile I thought there was a hint of satire? Anyway, if a section is supposed to to be about velomobiles then I better add my 2 cents!
Terry

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3760 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  13:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wowee, those look beautiful. Although few have the patience to do that level of work(especially me), we welcome your contributions.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
982 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the work you put into those beauties!
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  17:11:00  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TERRY: Took you a while to get here terry, youíll love this place. A herd of knowledge here. Iam really glad your here since we build unibodies. If you can try out photobucket that would be good. Your machines are beautiful. Thanks

Mike
ó

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  08:38:37  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those look fantastic, Terry!
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  17:29:00  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alrite Terry man, dyyying fur some pics of your boom! Throw us a bone please .

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this is still in the planing stage but here is a mock up of a carbon adjustable "boom"https://flic.kr/p/GoM9Ci
Whatcya think??
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:34:39  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love it, & itís adjustable.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3760 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  13:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In would suspect that design wouldn't manage loads very well. You normally want a long tube(lever) resisting the primary forces.
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  15:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speed biker, you may well be right about the forces?
Since this is still at the "idea" stage, do you have any?

I am wondering if a wishbone shaped tube would tend to resist forces better? The closer the BB is to the verticle support ,the less flex there should be? My best guess measurement puts the BB about 7" ahead of the wheel wells..

This design makes for problems with long legs?

Ah, it would be sooo much easier if we peddled with only one leg!!

Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  16:01:02  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hes not far off. Below is the stock one, zoom in. It has tube going back towards seat but thats it. ZOOM IN!

Terry donít forget you can buy the quest sliding bb/affordable if needed.

[/URL]
ó

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/09/2017 16:01:33
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  16:08:56  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember this one?

This guy has real short legs and is only one that can ride rhis waw unibody.

I like this homebuilt idea below but pretty sure l canít fit: i bet this is strong and he has big fat cf going back towards seat. ZOOM IN!

[/URL]
ó

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/09/2017 16:10:28
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  16:19:12  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry, is this about where you would want your bb?

Your hood has great visual everywhere.

[/URL]

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/09/2017 16:20:45
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  16:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is where the bb , should be situated..
I have jig that I can use( once I get the seat built) to double check bb location.

It is 12" off the floor and 7"" ahead of the wheel wells.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3760 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  17:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will a tube run back toward the seat to help manage the twisting/bending load?
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  17:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that might help with the forces.
I am trying for the lightest I can do but if there's was too much twist I guess I could add a tube back towards the seat.
Thanks for the input.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3760 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  18:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Built as is you would have to over build it to take the loads. Run a tube back to in front of the seat and you can use lighter materials. Proper engineering, like physics, is not a matter of opinion. It's either a poor design, or a great design. Your present thoughts represent the former. But there is still time to improve it :-)
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  19:46:56  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry, i learned how strong the bridge is once glue in between frt two wheel wells. Its like a steel box as you know from your other build. You can have rear tube on rear bridge & frt base tube on frt of bridge floor.

[/URL]

You can bring it back almost to the yellow tape in frt of seat.

[/URL]

I will make a plug and mold for cf unit that is outside perimeter made at whole front of WAW. Set in place with windshield adhesive unlike yours but hopefully work. l have tiller,, l canít go backwards. . Not one thing wrong with Daniels DF boom design but in the future want removable frt too like waw.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/10/2017 08:10:11
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3760 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  20:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, even with your invetered "T" box sections it isn't a proper design to manage the bending and twisting loads, but the carbon box sections are beefy enough to handle it. The loads are acting against very short levers where a long lever would handle the loads much more efficiently. On our liners the bb is on a tube that runs forward from the seat and has a tee running from one side to the other. This easily hands pedal loads from the strongest riders because the loads are spread out between points that are very spread out. While a very strong rider might never ride either of your velos, if they did damage would likely occur.
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  21:36:41  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speedbiker

This is difficult: on the waw there are 2 tubes going backwards. This is all done for a removable front cowling/fairing.

Heres one plane of cf piece, mine would glue as a whole circle & touch both wwís and velo walls w/arch above. I would haf to use in my unibody. . Iam watchin terry too but he has tank steer.

[/URL]

The waw design has had strong animal riders. I think green one above is deadly strong but stationary bb. My velo will never be xl.

The velo-tilt velomobiel boom drops straight down, maybe that could help:

l see three boxes.
1) bridge
2) horizontal circle perimeter box on wall , floor, wheel wells.
3) vertical velo-tilt style box.

[/URL]

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/10/2017 08:15:34
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  20:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Built as is you would have to over build it to take the loads. Run a tube back to in front of the seat and you can use lighter materials. Proper engineering, like physics, is not a matter of opinion. It's either a poor design, or a great design. Your present thoughts represent the former. But there is still time to improve it :-)

So, a tube from in front of the seat to the vertical member. Okay, where is the best place to terminate , the higher the better??
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  21:40:30  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man l donít know, but the waw has 2 tubes going back in photobucket and l will just keep thinking.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3760 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  01:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry, assuming you keep the full verticle tube, the run the tube from the seat to right behind the bb. And don't make the tube running forward from the verticle tube any longer than necessary.
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Starting Member

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  10:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update...
Stephane sent me drawings of the WAW boom. I can use those as a basis for another design. I will still try it in carbon or wood composite,or maybe both?
Stay tuned for a new mock up!
I suggest my idea of molded top and bottom plates will resist peddle forces adequately but I see how a long lever will definately spread the forces out even more!
Mike, I plan to use a tiller steer like yours in this version!
Also ,I'd like to copy your quest seat , can you send me some measurements so I could get a profile?
Thanks T
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  12:10:04  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) I can mail you the plug terry if ya want, then later you can mail back!

2) I think you should use cf over your sanded and shaped wood. AFTER YOU SAND YOUR CF OVER LAYUP AND SPRAY CLEAR ON IT IT WILL BE BEAUTIFUL.. Just get few yards of 11oz twill and yard of straight uni from compositeenvisions.com

3) I like tiller best and stock off shelf parts from the old country to me. I try not to invent hardware, its enough to care and improve all these molds (tools).

4) I have not figured out the tube backwards will work with tiller in the way. Unless one running on one side of tiller which might be good place for velcro to hold tiller vertical for getting in and out.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/11/2017 12:14:03
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  12:29:13  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daniel designed this for EVO people. Take your time, this is the hardest area of velomobiel unibody. Your bridge should be covered in cf and a piece of innegra sandwiched in between cf. Its 9$ yard. Carbon & innegra is strong as death.

[/URL]

The three black circles i made are all lilí fatter and wider which is no problem with cf-wood. You can shape balsa and cover with cf.

The wide base with couple bearings down @ bridge base it strong. This dang thing is strong because that is a 18 speed Pinion transmission setting atop. It can move forward or backwards with the round tube you see, then locked down.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 11/11/2017 12:34:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000