Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

warren
human power expert

USA
6286 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  20:34:36  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks nice! On your drawing I just noticed that your head will be behind the rear axle which will make it hard to balance. That's one of the problems with stick bikes.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  21:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoulders, yes. I think my head will be just in front of the axle. Much the same as the Actionbent I got from Jerry...

Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1301 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  07:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! I never had a problem with balance on the Actionbent. I think the F5 will be even more stable. After you get use to the bike, lower that seat down to 20 degrees or lower!
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  11:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a frustrating week, so I bashed on some metal and made the lower seat bracket. It's not perfect, and a bit higher than I had hoped. But, it's done, and has 2 QR's to release the seat completely.

Now to cable it up and get it ready for a test ride.

Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  22:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just about ready for a ride. Still need to cut and cap the cable ends. Should get that done tomorrow. Maybe go for a ride, if the weather cooperates.

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  05:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet rig. Perfect for the Black Bear 100.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  10:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weighed it today. A little disappointed that it came out at 31.2lb. I thought this would be much lighter than my homebuilt LWB (@32.7lb). But, only a pound and a half.

According to Google, the advertised weight was ~26lbs. That was with the Rans seat, not a hardshell like this. And, of course, without pedals. But, they don't weigh 5lbs.

I would guess that my seat brace is lighter than Rans'. My handlebar setup should be close to a wash. I guess these wheels aren't so light, but they're not especially heavy either. Front (steel) fork is a bit portly, though. Might need to find a carbon replacement for it...
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  12:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That stuff adds up. Plus, advertised weight might not have been sport on.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1301 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  14:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would bet the real weight would be closer to 29-30 pounds rather than the advertised weight. Someone in TX weighed his F5 and it was 29.8 pounds. I think the companies weigh them with no cables, pedals, tires, and tubes! My trike weighs over 5 pounds more than advertised. It is a lot easier to lose 5 pounds off ones self than the bike! It still is a nice looking bike.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2018 :  09:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maiden flight was yesterday. It wants to roll, that's for sure. Very easy to get going. I rode without my cleats just to be safe. But, I think the next ride I'll try the cleats.

Did find one problem - I laced my wheels wrong. I didn't interlace the spokes on the 3rd cross. The wheels (especially the rear) have very little lateral stability. Going to take them all apart and relace them this week...

Seems my LWB is in the same boat. Not sure how I missed that step. Oh well, live and learn.
Go to Top of Page

Rat Rider
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  14:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am late, as usual, to the party, but this design reminds me of the Z-bone. A racey bike for sure. Even my fat-a$$ did a 4 hour century on one. Of course drafting off JS, JV, and others might have helped.

quote:
Originally posted by ShelGame

How about this?

Inspriation was this:

Which I beleive I read was your work, Thom? Don't know if it was fast, but it looks fast.

Mine is a similar layout, but not FWD...

Too many bents
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000