Lunatic Fringe 3.0 Streetliner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  17:05:11  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW! I've been out of the game for a while. It's time to jump back in.

I had gotten up to 299.9 pounds, which scared me, and now I'm down to 230. By May, I'll hopefully be around 199.9. A 100 pound loss would be cool! I'm riding fast again and feeling GREAT. In the past few years, my town, Tucson, AZ, has built an amazing system of bike-friendly trails with no cars around (about 100 miles worth) and this streetliner will be a blast to cruise on it. I will also attend a few velodrome races with you guys, hopefully in 2018. Wahoo!

---

I weighed about 280 pounds when I was riding 2.0. It was so fast that I allowed it to trick me into thinking that I was still fit at that weight. Hah!

---

This project will start off with the same bike that I had used for 2.0, pictured below. It is the Steintrikes Speedster FS. The full suspension makes it a dream to ride on rough roads and it was really fast with the old fairing on it. The old fairing was HUGE. The new one will be much lighter and easier to transport. It has the Schlumpf High Speed Drive for the higher gearing needed for a streamlined bike.

---

This new fairing will be constructed of a mix of an existing fiberglass fairing and fabric-over-rib construction, similar to Rick Gritters' awesome ride. I will be learning from the DVD available from GA Boats. It shows every step about how to build fabric-over-rib boats, like an 8 pound canoe. http://www.gaboats.com/

---

The nose fairing arrives soon (pictured below, on a trike). I got it on eBay at a delivered price approx. $123. Made by Midnor Mold. It seems to be a decent shape to start with and I can easily modify it to suit my needs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Recumbent-Bicycle-Nose-Cone-Recumbent-Fairing-Recumbent-Nose-/263269950942

---

I set up my work area today so that I can begin the process. This won't be a mad rush and I'll start by making a stand for the bike so that it sits on top of the work table. I figure that I'll be done in a couple of easy months' work this winter.

---

I no longer use a factory for my business activities. I only sell my product designs online using about 35 websites. I mostly sell traffic related security products and fake rock waterfalls for swimming pools. I'll be building this streetliner at a house where I operate the business from. I have still messed around with fiberglass over the years and recently made a ram air system for the Harley that WORKS GREAT.

---

There won't be a techinical, dimensioned drawing for this build... I'm just going to wing-it and post pics along the way. It seems that the fabric-over-rib construction will be affordable and light. Since I'll be a newbie at that type of construction, I won't lock myself into a technical drawing.

I'll post more pics as it develops over the next couple of months. Next post might be in a week or two.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ
Lunatic Fringe 3.0

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 11/20/2017 12:45:45

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  12:51:31  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, this is a rough sketch of what it *might* look like. Orange represents ribs on the viewer side, green is a separation line to allow a pivoting front section (ease of use/entry). Open feet area underneath for functionality and cooling on 100 degree days.

I can't wait for the nose fairing and DVD to show up!

I am also considering changing over to a 20" wheel in the front and 24" in the back. Schwalbe Durano tires front and back. https://poweroncycling.com/product/schwalbe-durano-24-x-.90-667.htm

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ
Lunatic Fringe 3.0

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 11/20/2017 12:56:19
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  17:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hardly wait to see the end result and speed it delivers. 100 pounds, wow! Good for you.

I have been thinking about building a Gritter's style fairing around my Baron or Musashi. I built a coroplast fairing for the Baron and the Texas winds convinced me to take it off really fast! With a cloth fairing the wind shouldn't be so scary.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  22:02:48  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

I can hardly wait to see the end result and speed it delivers. 100 pounds, wow! Good for you.

Thanks, Jerry!

I have now watched the DVD from GA Boats. It gets the point across, and I know how to work with Dacron now, but the presentation is older and limited in its scope. I am now waiting to receive a (probably) more thorough how-to from Aircraft Spruce. I'm a crafty guy, but learn more NOW before I start cutting up fabric!

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpages/polyfiberCover.php

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6115 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  16:07:23  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Should be cool, Jeff!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  07:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LunaticFringe

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Thanks, Jerry!

I have now watched the DVD from GA Boats. It gets the point across, and I know how to work with Dacron now, but the presentation is older and limited in its scope. I am now waiting to receive a (probably) more thorough how-to from Aircraft Spruce. I'm a crafty guy, but learn more NOW before I start cutting up fabric!

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpages/polyfiberCover.php

Jeff

Jeff, I just read the whole book on a PDF format. Sure am glad it is a streamliner and not an airplane. Way too many chemicals for me! I think I'll stick with a frame with nylon/spandex and foam for protection. I do like the fact that you shrink the fabric with an iron though. The problem I find with nylon/spandex is wrinkles and fluffing fabric in side winds. Also it sags when it rains. Get it done and hopefully I'll get to see it in person soon!

Jerry

Edited by - Jerry on 11/22/2017 07:56:02
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
514 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  11:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting forks you have there. How do they behave when braking? I plan similar trailing link front forks for MBB bent, but I've heard scary things about LOTS of brake dive such construction entails.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  12:05:41  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balor

Very interesting forks you have there. How do they behave when braking?

I've had women with baby strollers do unplanned U-turns right in front of me on bike trails, forcing me to nail the brakes hard to avoid a splatter. I never had loss of control and appreciated the stability.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 11/22/2017 12:06:36
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
514 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  14:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good! Hopefully mine will turn out allright as well.

https://pp.userapi.com/c840723/v840723049/26e69/rYTmOktw7pk.jpg
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  19:53:13  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, I took the Speedster out for the first time today, after not riding her for about 5 years. For now, I've got a new Primo tire on the front and a Kojak on the back.

---

I had almost forgotten how FUN this bike is. I can blast over speed bumps without ever slowing down! What a cushy ride.

I experimented with a new arm position. With my old way of riding, I can feel a LOT of air hitting my arms as I ride with them relaxed at my side, handlebar just above my upper thighs. I found that I can kill that rush of air on my arms by positioning them forward and still have good control with the current handlebars.

I rotated the brake levers upward, and lowered the handlebar on the stem. It all works out to where I can still see over my hands and there is good clearance with the handlebar over my lower thigh/knee area. I am going to move the Grip shift to the central vertical tube, between the grips. In the forward position, the cushy grips become supports for the wrist as my hands cradle the brake levers. It's actually pretty comfortable. Arrow at shifter. X will be new location.

---

I accidentally took a photo while messing with my phone that shows the condition of the 130 miles of Loop bike trail that circles Tucson, Arizona. Gotta love it!

---

I comfortably rode at 18-21 mph on the downward section of trail along the river, 14-17 on the upward return. About a 2 1/2 hour tour today. Everything checks out on the bike.

Edit update 12/5/17: After riding for a while, this new configuration seems to work great, leaving my view to the front unobstructed with my arms mostly straight forward.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, Az

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/05/2017 11:00:32
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  14:55:23  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The nose fairing from Midnor Mold arrived today! It took about 2 weeks to arrive by way of slow boat, as expected. I got it from them on eBay for only $123. What a GREAT deal. The pic with the fairing shown at the front of the bike is a bit high, but when you use your Mom as a prop holder, you've got to be quick.

The package took MANY hits from irritable shipping guys, had ruptures, etc., but the cheap wooden frame inside was smartly inserted into the box. The product arrived in perfect condition.

---

---

---

---

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/05/2017 14:56:03
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  16:19:26  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sitting outside in the temporary workshop, my brain has started spinning about the best way to connect the nose fairing and then reach out from there to build the rest of the frame for the fabric that follows. I might be going with sculpted fiberglass armatures, instead of traditional ribs, to cut down on angularity of the support shapes that will define contours through the fabric. I am thinking that a gunwhale at the seat profile will work great for identifying the maximum shape of where I sit and it will be easy to have someone trace my profile against a template.

https://youtu.be/frnCrH5DJD8

I actually have stuff to do now! Along with attaching the nose fairing, I now have everything I need to do my practice work with mounting, tightening, and finishing the Dacron fabric onto the wood-framed practice structure.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/05/2017 16:28:48
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  20:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am liking the little nose cone Jeff. I am thinking about getting 2 of them, one for my corovelo, and one for my next streamliner. Hard to beat $123.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  22:19:10  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tonight I altered 1 1/4" PVC pipe T fittings to become the mounts for the front nose fairing. Next, I'll install unaltered T fittings into the nose top and bottom, leaving them loose to rotate in some pipe. That will make it easier to make adjustments for fit. After finding the best location, I'll mark the tubing and fittings, gluing them together at the successful position. PVC pipe is super cheap and easy to use for fairing mounts. I've done it for years with no failures.

---

The arrow shows where I ground away material to get the hose clamp to seat properly.

---

Short video of mounts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8UI872YIRY

---

I might finish putting the fairing on in the morning and take the bike for a short rip afterward.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/08/2017 22:23:56
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  19:17:27  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The nose cone is now on, in its correct position. The mounting process isn't finished, yet, but it will be by tomorrow night! I still need to finalize the upper mount and connect the lower and upper mounts with a PVC tube. All will be laminated under a layer of fiberglass. The mount will be slightly more stout than if I was just using the front fairing by itself. The shrinking of Dacron polyester over the fiberglass framework WILL introduce shrink and I need some OOMPH to resist that force.

This picture shows the meticulous, uber-scientific processes involved in streetliner construction. You need a towel, heat gun and a wooden stick. Aw, yeah... primitive!

---

This is the current level of mount construction. The forward, lower fairing mount PVC has no adhesive yet. It has been allowed to pivot and adapt to changes. It will be adhered as-is, without taking it apart, then be laminated under a layer of fiberglass.

---

Rear view of front fairing. Currently, there is no foot strike, but it is really close!

---

OMG... it actually LOOKS like it is located in the sweet spot. Aw. Yeah.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/09/2017 19:21:15
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  02:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting project. Really enjoying the photos and description as you progress.

Stix

Peregrin on Birk (Birk Comet RT with full fairing)
Lightning F-40 (built around R-84 frame)
Soma Smoothie Upright
Go to Top of Page

hypercycle
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  17:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have an approximate weight for that nose cone? And your mountings?

Thanks

pamminger
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  18:33:40  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, it's a great fairing to start with. ;)

Stix, thanks for following... I'm jealous of YOUR P on B!

Hypercycle, I did not weigh anything yet. The fairing is pretty light, maybe around 3 pounds. My mounts will probably double that weight. They're beefy.

I held off from completely finishing the front fairing mount tonight so that the 'glass could fully harden before I remove it from the bike. After removal, I will finish laminating all PVC with fiberglass, including the surfaces that the hose clamps contact. I could make it slightly lighter by thickening the fiberglass over the PVC, then cut it open and remove the PVC, but I'll leave it in and use its strength as it is.

This picture shows glued PVC prior to laminating. The whole thing seemed quite solid at this point.

---

This last photo shows where I stopped with the lamination. It's enough to have it all locked together where it won't move out of alignment after removal. At this point, the front fairing is like a ROCK. It doesn't budge. No wobble or flex. I will add minor triangulation where you see the red line tomorrow. I finish the lamination on the work table. I believe that the fiberglass overlay will allow the front fairing to resist distortion from the shrinking Dacron.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  16:21:50  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finalized the fiberglass overlay onto the mount system. I weighed the fairing with its mount at 6.2 pounds. It is crazy-stout! ;)

---

Back onto the bike, it is a TOUGH l'il bastard. This thing is going to hold up to the stretching process.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  16:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Jeff. Are you going to use rubber under the pvc? Helps keep it from vibrating and scratching the paint, I think, maybe not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000