Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  15:37:00  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickyfitz

You look like a new man. Fantastic! Big respect!

Nick

Much appreciated, sir! I have about 28 pounds to go now, and feel mighty fine. Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  15:39:50  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Hi Jeff. Fun project, but can you pull those elbows in?

I completely understand your question. ;)

My elbows don't go any wider than my shoulders now, so if I bring the elbows in a touch more, I'll have a similar width issue. I'm trying to keep in mind that it is a streetliner, used 99% of the time on bike paths with a couple of races per year thrown in. I'm shooting for a bit more comfort so that the bike will actually get used a lot. Hah! Comfort and speed are trying to be balanced with comfort doing a lot of winning.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/16/2017 15:53:54
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  15:42:05  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Jeff, check out Dr.Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live". Eat all you want and never gain weight. It saved my life 7 years ago. My neighbor lost 97 pounds in less than 8 months and was never hungry. Back to bike building now!

Thanks, Jerry! I do the keto diet. It is SUPER easy for me to stick with, and a very healthy way to eat. The keto diet makes a lot of cyclists cringe since it means that I burn fat for fuel, instead of carbs. I cheat when cycling, though... I use UCAN slow-digest carbs during a ride so that I burn both fat and carbs. It works GREAT.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  15:52:16  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today's shape study confirms that I can leave the body profile at the seat as it is. The curves have a decent profile, none of which interfere with cycling action of my legs.

---

---

---

---

This shows that my legs will comfortably come to rest at a stop. I will be leaving a fairly large opening at the bottom for my legs and cooling. Much of this bicycle's use will be during temperatures over 95 degrees (Arizona desert heat). I may build a closure underneath for a velodrome race. ;) (Note to self: the point where my knee can make contact with the rib is 10" in front of the steering tube, 7" from the boom.)

---

---

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the shape study. There is a long way to go, but the progress is fun!

Thanks for checking it all out.

I will do more in the coming week. For tonight, I have a crazy Christmas party to go to... a beautiful woman is waiting for me to break free and begin the weekend fun!

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/16/2017 16:11:17
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1279 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  16:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just ordered the 2nd nose cone. Thanks for the link Jeff. I will order 2 more nose cones after the 1st of the year.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang Jeff, you look great. Numerous cyclists in my coaching group have used keto to great effect. Including me.
The street liner is looking good
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1279 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be very careful on Keto if you have a history of kidney disease and liver damage like me. You need carbs for good organ life. Not sugar, but complex carbs.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1279 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  11:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They put my deceased brother on Keto because of his diabetes. After two years he had complete renal failure and had to go on dialysis. He died 8 months later. Each his own though.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3213 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  18:15:25  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dint know what a Keto was, I Googled it, its a diet with almost no carbs and high fat and some protein where the liver changes fat into ketones, one being acetone, that then is metabolized by the brain instead of glucose. Diet is used mostly to control epileptic seizures.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1279 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  20:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.livestrong.com/article/463341-ketosis-kidney-failure/ .
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  23:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bunch of guys in my coaching group (intelligently) used the ketogenics diet to reach race weight. They one some races. One won his catagory of RAAM. I used it and got 4th overall in a triathlon. Notice the word intelligent.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3213 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  06:41:07  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think body builders use the same type of diet, along with dehydration, to make their veins stick out for competition. When I was cycling to work 40 miles each way, my ketones here elevated on a blood test, doctor said normally she would be concerned, but she said it was from cycling so much. Well, the 3 ahead of you were could have been doping. I wouldn't go that far, but I'm normally thin. A few years ago I stopped eating cereal for breakfast, bread and pasta, sugar, donuts, potatoes stuff like that, and increased the fiber in my diet, it lowered my cholesterol 30 pts and blood sugar, which were creeping upward. Im borderline type 2 diabetic. Too many carbs are not good for you either.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  11:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right Tony! It's amazing all the negative effects and extra processes the body goes thru dealing with carbs. It looks like Jeff figured it out. Now he has a skinnier hpv!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3213 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  11:32:40  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this is what jerry's sayng:

quote:
Ketosis in the presence of diabetes can lead to ketoacidosis and coma, and can be life threatening.

I eat carbs, like beans,nuts and fruit...

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/18/2017 14:29:35
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  16:25:37  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"...a skinnier HPV"

HAAAAAAH! This is a fun group. ;)

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  18:45:10  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uber-sophisticated in the creation of this streetliner, I used a fire extinguisher and bag of tools to mimic having my butt sitting in the seat, closing a gap at the bottom between the seat and cardboard pattern.

Prior to adding the fiberglass, I used a paste mold release and PVA release against the backside of the seat and cardboard. Tomorrow, I'll drill a few mounting holes through, then remove and discard the cardboard.

---

The 1 1/2 oz. fiberglass was slightly tricky to apply upside-down, but you can just brush a light amount of resin onto the pattern first, then apply the fiberglass as a bit dry (less resin soaked in).

The edges will be trimmed and then a smaller diameter (around 1 1/2" or so) foam pipe insulation will be slipped over and fiberglassed into place to give the outer profile edge a rounded shape for strength. Later, other ribs that run along the sides will blend into this rounded edge.

YES, I could have removed the seat, but it was fine to do as located. It might be removed again later. Why remove it if you don't have to? ;) I can do top-notch fiberglass work if I want to, but this is not a production piece and I'm not trying to impress myself. Been there, done that. I'd rather spend the extra time saved by posting updates here or cooking some bacon.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/20/2017 18:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1279 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  12:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you say bacon? Drooling!
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  07:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much of that cardboard do you eat for the diet.

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  17:18:47  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eat cardboard? Nope! I do eat eat a LOT of bacon though! If I cook it too long it can end up like crisp cardboard, though. ;)

I flipped the bike over to study a few good places to reinforce with a bit of extra fiberglass, which I added. Bolts will pass through in 3 places on each side, right through the factory seat. There won't be any interference with the seat pad.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 12/26/2017 17:20:23
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  18:32:23  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, another update.

Since I needed to wash the water-soluble PVA mold release off of the back of the seat, I went ahead and blasted the whole thing, removing 5 years of dust that had collected while in storage. ;)

---

This shows the seat 'wings' after removal from the cardboard pattern, trimmed, cleaned, and sanded, ready for the next step.

---

Loosely bolted back onto the seat, I applied the pipe insulation onto the edges so that I can lay a single layer of fiberglass over the top, creating the rounded armature surface that the fabric will be shrunken onto. Of course, there will be ribs that go front to back, but this will serve as an all-important midway point, creating a lot of symmetry and strength.

---

---

---

Cool! It actually looks like I'm getting something done. It will be fun to move onto the tail section next week. It will look really cool after all of the ribs are in place, almost like a streamliner skeleton. Hah!

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1279 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  07:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, the skinnier HPV is looking good!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  10:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, other than my concerns with it's width, I look forward to seeing the skin on it.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  20:16:40  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Yes, other than my concerns with it's width, I look forward to seeing the skin on it.

Iíll be an aerodynamic brick. Hah! If I could split in half, I could fit into a regular-sized streamer.

Iíll post more pics later... the seat Ďwingsí now have openings to accomodate storage on both sides. I figure that, since most of its duty will be off-velodrome use, I may as well be able to carry some stuff... like itís a two-wheeled velomobile.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1279 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  20:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on Thom, haven't you ever heard of bringing home the bacon?

Jeff, you need a halo above the wings. You could call it, "Angel in the morning".
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  22:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it up Roberson! Meet me in Nashville for your beatin'(in the Great Coroliner battle).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000