Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  23:21:34  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys! It’s the first time that I’ve ever been married with a marriage license and all that jazz. At the ripe old age of 53, I’ve still got it.

;)

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  12:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait 12 more years and see if you still have it! LOL. Hell, I don't know what "it" is anymore. Just kidding!

It would be the perfect marriage if the wife loved building HPV's, racing, and making sure her man always had cold beer! Good luck with your marriage and new build Jeff.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  13:45:27  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Wait 12 more years and see if you still have it! LOL. Hell, I don't know what "it" is anymore. Just kidding!

It would be the perfect marriage if the wife loved building HPV's, racing, and making sure her man always had cold beer! Good luck with your marriage and new build Jeff.

Hah! I'm off to a good start with her. She has embraced my way of eating and lost a few pounds herself, drinks vodka sodas with me, and loves going on Harley rides with me (she was terrified of motorcycles when she first met me). We haven't even had an argument yet... uh oh. ;)

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  15:52:42  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taylor, from Velocity Velos, came through with a quick delivery of the new Flevo roof. Thanks, Taylor!

https://www.velocityvelos.com/products/flevo-roof

Talk about a lucky perfect fit! All I did was put it together and set it onto the bike. I'll install the metal post mounts a few inches closer together, at the dashboard bends, so that the windscreen takes on a bit of curved shape (more strength). That prevents it from bending downward while riding.

What a cool fit, right out of the box!!! I must be living life the right way.

---

---

---

---

---

Jeff 'the Sky is no longer the limit' Bales

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/20/2018 19:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  17:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LunaticFringe

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Hah! I'm off to a good start with her. She has embraced my way of eating and lost a few pounds herself, drinks vodka sodas with me, and loves going on Harley rides with me (she was terrified of motorcycles when she first met me). We haven't even had an argument yet... uh oh. ;)

Jeff

Just keep saying yes and you will not have arguments! The wife told me last night to carry out the trash. I told her no way, not until I get the dishes washed and laundry put away. Ha
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  20:17:49  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found a new fabric that is pre-colored with no UV issues. I have sent an email to them to see if I can shrink at a lower temperature, just like I can with Dacron.

Very cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=GJ-KHRHlRDg

http://betteraircraftfabric.com/

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  22:39:36  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
During the past few cold days, I've been prepping the house for the new wife and 2 of her kids to move in. I came across this photo in an old box. Cool!

It shows me looking down at a bike next to the Coyote at the velodrome in San Diego, I believe in 1996. I was really looking at getting into the HPV racing scene at the time, but was hit by a truck the following Spring that took me years to recover from.

At that event I rode a Turner SWB with a custom Coroplast fairing that was a level 1 Streetliner. In the 200 sprint I hit 42 mph and nobody could believe it. People said that the timing equipment had to have been off. Hah! I knew better. ;) I used to pump the steam! I had been a sprinter in my youth.

I remember seeing Steve with his Rotator and noticing his electric motor in the rear fairing. That thing hauled butt.

Those were fun days!

Someday I may find a photo of that Turner with its fairing. There might be one around. If I ever find it, I'll post it. That thing moved.

I still have this plaque! I was still messed up from the accident, undergoing more surgeries, but I gave it my all to make it there and adapt my crazy bike at the event. What a great group of people that were there. This plaque has had me wanting to get back into things for a while.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/25/2018 23:01:25
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  22:40:53  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, I spoke to the people that sell that awesome fabric mentioned above. It's crazy expensive. It would cost around $650 to use their fabric. I'll be using standard Dacron instead! I have already purchased it (around $75 if I remember right).

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/26/2018 22:18:31
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
940 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  23:15:53  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What kind of frabric/cloth.???

Compositeenvisions.com

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/25/2018 23:16:53
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  23:41:01  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carolina

The thin stuff, for ultralight aircraft. =)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/dacron/peelply3.php

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
940 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  00:15:27  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But what about when the Playboy club, downtown in 1969, u were ****tin yellow?? :). Nice project u have going in the wonderful desert. Use to live on blk canon freeway (i-10 [north bound] in the year 1971).

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  11:28:35  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hah! I found another old picture that applies a little bit to this project... this is me, at the age of 16, flying an American Eagle ultralight aircraft.

This was before emergency recovery parachutes were available. The highest that I flew was 3000 feet. It dawned upon me how high I was after I saw a Cessna fly underneath me, occupants waving at me. D'oh!

I guess that I'll have gotten back to my 'crazy vehicle' roots after I get the fabric onto this bike!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
940 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  13:24:10  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kinda like a pterodactyl ultralite? Who was first? I have a friend, hates he sold his.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  22:11:20  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kinda like a pterodactyl ultralite? Who was first? I have a friend, hates he sold his.

velosRus.com

The pterodactyl ultra came out about a year earlier and has the forward canard in the sightline of the pilot. The American's is higher, not blocking the view. The Ptero is still being made, though! The nice thing about having a canard up front is that it makes the aircraft *almost* stall-proof. I know, I tried to stall it to see how safe it was. Instead of stalling, the canard makes the craft kind of mush forward instead of spiking up, then dangerously down.

Today, we had 70 degrees, so I was finally able to Bondo-butter the outer facing surfaces of the spars. I can now sand them on the following cold days. I also added a fillet to the head fairing between itself and its base. Bring on the sanding machine!

After I sand it all again, I'll flip the bike upside down and Bondo-butter the very bottom spars about 3/4 of the way around since they are a major terminus of the fabric.

Wahoo! Doors are coming up soon, then fabric time!

---

---

---

The rotary sander will remove about 95% of the Bondo, leaving a smoother surface to imprint through the fabric.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/26/2018 22:51:36
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  22:20:05  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

But what about when the Playboy club, downtown in 1969, u were ****tin yellow?? :). Nice project u have going in the wonderful desert. Use to live on blk canon freeway (i-10 [north bound] in the year 1971).

velosRus.com

The last time that I saw a real, operating Playboy club was in St. Louis, where I grew up. It closed by the time that I was 18 and moved away. Hah! A golden, smarmy, opportunity missed!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  22:56:25  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Compositeenvisions.com

velosRus.com

Dang, that trike design's frame looks like my bike's fabric frame. Hah! Way cool!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
940 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  23:03:16  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought my variez in Sierra Vista. I love the canards too. Still flyin a lil’.

Your frame will look just like it with some pearl white.
————————-

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/26/2018 23:07:54
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  11:10:54  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I bought my variez in Sierra Vista. I love the canards too. Still flyin a lil’.

Your frame will look just like it with some pearl white.
————————-

velosRus.com

WAAAAAAAY COOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sanded the outer edges of the frame where the fabric will lay over. I had a single place where the fiberglass bulged out past where it needed to align with the surrounding supports. It has plenty of strength so, rather than build up a fiberglass patch, I used a latex mold maker's trick and stuffed the hole with some paper towels. That prevents too much material, in this case, Bondo, from filling the void. It also makes Bondo stick well and not run out of the hole from its vertical position. It sanded down fine.

I have done no detail sanding, or leveling of the tail tip yet, but the machine sanding is now done! This is a FUN project.

After I got all covered in body filler dust, I showered, then took the wifey out into the desert to show her a pond that I had ridden my dirt bike to, on Saturday.

Blow-through repair pics:

---

---

---

General sanding pics:

---

Me and wifey pic:

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 03/04/2018 19:00:29
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  18:32:28  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had the bike upside-down for most of the day, getting rid of a few imperfections that were hard to deal with when it was upright. A few large bubbles of air were on the underside of some tubes, under the fiberglass... about 4 of them. They're now gone.

The hard-core sanding is now almost done. ;)

The outer surfaces of the fairing frame are now slicked with a final coat of resin. This will reduce the imprint of imperfections through the fabric.

I also did some body work to the head fairing, preparing to make its mount to the tail section during my next work day. It will be removable so that I can access items stored underneath.

I cut the pipe out from inside of the upper door spars and can now begin to fashion the doors since the support frame is now sanded and slick. I'll be able to put mold release against the door support frame and lay up the door frame against it using fiberglass that is permanently part of these upper door spars (pictured). 30 pound (pull strength) earth magnets will snap the doors into place and they will probably have fabric hinges.

I trimmed some tubing off of the luggage rack that had been concerning me as possibly poking into the plane of the fabric. It wasn't needed so I introduced it to my cut off wheel.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 03/06/2018 18:50:23
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  20:28:02  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I made the mounts for the head fairing. I'll remove it tomorrow and trim them so that they work as a press-fit into the tail section's upper spars. A Velcro latch will act as a lock preventing blow-off in the wind.

I was able to place the upper door spars to prepare for making the door frames.

It's been driving me bonkers for a few days now... I noticed that the shoulder spars don't have the same curvature. I should have picked up on that earlier, but I've been crazy-busy getting ready to move a new wife and kids into the house. Ah, distractions! ;)

It won't be difficult, but I need to correct the different curvature NOW or it will always drive me CRAZY. I'll make a cut into the side that has the higher fiberglass, then re-attach it a bit lower and massage it with some body putty to better match the shape of the other side. It will only be about an hour of work so, no big deal. These pics show the fairly obvious difference in the shoulder shapes and the line that I'll cut into the fiberglass for the correction.

---

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  20:50:52  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I re-shaped the shoulder spar so that it matched the curvature on the opposing side better.

I got lucky and had a close match with my very first cut and placement. Since it was warm outside, it took less than an hour to do.

---

---

---

While I waited for the fiberglass to cure on the shoulder spar repair, I improved the shape on both sides at the forward, upper door supports. This will make it easier to have a more simplistic door edge.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Patrick Bateman

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  01:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Patrick Bateman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So you built a new fairing because the old fairing was too large?
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  01:27:40  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Bateman

So you built a new fairing because the old fairing was too large?

It was about 10 feet long and was really cumbersome to load into a pick up truck. I gave it away a few years back and don't know what happened to it. It was a copy of Greg's fairing seen here: http://adventuresofgreg.com/blog/about-the-adventures/24-hour-human-powered-distance-record/

I had made it out of carbon fiber and liked it, but prefer something a little shorter and easier to get to the trail. I've never built with the skin-on-frame technique and it's always fun to try a new material. ;)

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  20:57:36  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I removed the head fairing mounts that I had made and started over on them. The style pictured will allow for a better fit. It will become more obvious after I attach them to the fairing and add more pics. The right side will be a pivot while the other two press-fit and there will be a Velcro latch for securing as a fail-safe against wind gusts.

Since cloth will eventually be overlaid in areas where I'll be creating fiberglass parts, I added duct-tape to mimic the thickness of the fabric.

The door frames are now begun with fiberglass. The next application of fiberglass onto them will be over some balsa structure that I'll put in place. They'll just be balsa strips, but it will create more strength in the layers of fiberglass to resist the pull of shrinking fabric.

You can see marker lines on the tape where the door frame edges will terminate. I think that these lines will be evident on the fresh fiberglass after I remove it to trim and detail.

---

---

Jeff
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000