New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  11:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a set of 150 cranks from someone to try on the NoCom. Didn't realize how much they actually helped me, but also made it possible for my short legs to fit Warren's NoCom, now Jerry's NoCom. The problem is, the cranks had been shortened down from 175mm cranks, and the threads ripped out in less than a mile of pedaling! I just ordered a set of Origin8 150mm cranks and a square taper BB.

I will not be riding anything for a few days as I am at my mother's house in Louisiana. And it is raining and raining and raining... Maybe by Monday I will get home and can ride. The cranks and BB should be at my house by Wednesday at the latest. Where have I heard that before!

warren
human power expert

USA
6254 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  19:14:55  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm happy you found a way to make it work for you, sorry you are having problems with the cranks.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  19:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem. It quit raining and the sun came out for about an hour. I did one legged sprints up and down my sister's driveway with my right leg. Then I changed to my roller blades for about 45 minutes. Life is good. I am not having any problems at all with the gunners. I'll try the tiller setup too and see if there is any difference in speed. I can see a streamliner in the not too distant future and the gunners will be just right.

The rear tube leaks out the air over night. Pumped it up and stuck in into water, no leak found. Bought new tube and will try it tomorrow. The lbs mechanic thought the little stem in the tube was slightly bent. I need a new pump head as it is way too big, and that is probably how I bent it.

Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

412 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  07:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, FWIW you don't have to loosen the lock nut of a Presta valve all the way out, just far enough for it to open under the air pressure from the pump.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  10:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the other reason I need to get a new pump Harv. The rubber grommet inside my pump head is worn out. You have to open the valve all the way to get it to work. I guess being too frugal costs more sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  17:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the big box store and bought a 4" x 1/2" round head bolt with threads all the way to the head, washer, lock washer, and nut. I used this as my temporary pedal and rode the NoCom for about 5 miles at the local small airport. The road has a 4%-5% hill at one end. The pedal worked out ok, just had to keep pulling my foot back down as it rolled up the bolt!

Edited by - Jerry on 03/02/2018 17:48:59
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  19:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better get a real pedal before the Nashville Senior Sprint Challenge (NSSC).
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  08:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new cranks and BB are waiting for me at the house. I even bought egg beaters. Even with the bolt as a pedal, I hit 40+ with the aid of the hill! A guy almost wrecked his car turning around looking at me. I could read his lips...WTF is that! Ha. He made two more passes before leaving.

I'll be ready by the time the Nashville event gets here. Me and two other Dallas area recumbent riders are still planning to ride from Dallas to the Nashville event. They both will bringing their velomobiles, one a brand new DF, the other either a Milan or Quattrovelo.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  12:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never liked egg beaters for sprinting. I like a big LOOK style platform under my foot. Just crank up the tension. Egg Beats help your reach.
I'm way closer to Nashville than you, but not enough time off to tour. You pulling that NoCom behind your velo?
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  13:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought the egg beaters because they are a little easier to get out of on the roads and streets. I like my big flat one on one side for sprinting also. I might just be riding the NoCom! Or put the NoCom on my trailer and pull with the new, redesigned corovelo. And if I have to, I'll put everything on the trailer and use the van. Between taking care of my mom, my grand kids, and life, plans get changed. No matter how I get there, I will be there. I do have the tour there and back on my calendar.

Are you going to Nashville?
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  14:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on my new job. Not much time off. I might shoot down and bacj for the convention and a few races.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  20:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you can make it. I really want to make Northbrook too. The wife wants to go back and visit her family. I'll go on up to Northbrook then. I want to go to IA, but will most likely go out to Battle Mountain and do a little watching and helping people out if I can. Never been that far west. I have been to every state east of CO. If I go west, I'll go to all the rest of the states before going back home. Of course I will have to ride a few miles in each state so I can say I rode in each of them.

Speaking of new jobs, I have been considering going back as a consultant for a few months so I can buy my new velomobile! That way I will not have to listen to the wife about blowing our nest egg. I didn't know we had a nest egg until she told me! I really don't understand why anyone would think 5 bikes, a trike, and a velomobile is excessive. A man needs a back up for his back up and another back up for that back up...! Lol.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  05:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not even a small bike collection. I'm at 20+ and designing a new race bike since I found someone to race my NoCom.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  22:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You forgot one four letter word Thom...wife! She is buying furniture for the new house and I don't want to make her mad enough that she decides to buy all new furniture. I pick my battles. She let me buy all my toys, so I am not pushing the issue! This year is 40 years with my wife. I would be totally lost without her, and a lot poorer too.

Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  12:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Bat Guano, I am trying to cram 5 months of training into just a week! Went out for a 21 mile with my neighbor. I took the Baron, which is about 20+ pounds heavier than the NoCom, and did 3 x 3 mile intervals, and 5-6 x 1 mile intervals. I am in sorry condition that is for sure. But, the Dallas Senior Games are on the 17th, so have to cram in what I can.

When I had to move the boom in so far to get it to fit me, I have to alter the front derailleur and the derailleur hanger. I was almost done with it, but had to come in and eat, and eat some more. I had to cut the slot downward on the hanger tube and grind one side down so the derailleur is in line. That is what happens when you try to fit elf legs to something for a tall person. I hope I have everything working just right on it by the 17th. I have brand new tires on the front and rear, new chain, new cranks and BB. I might swap out the rear cassette from one of my other bikes. I don't think my 56t chain ring will be here in time. Damn slow boats! Ha ha.

Putting the 150 mm cranks on has taught me a very good lesson. Now I know why the front of my leg is always sore right above the knee, and the knee itself, after riding and training hard. My knee was being over extended too much toward my rear end. I am now going to put 145 mm or 150 mm cranks on all my bikes. Those 172.5 on the Baron are gone!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  17:24:19  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carp had 152mm for many years, current swb has 127mm, MBB-VPS had 114 mm, yes better on the knees, not as good climbing. Spinning fast not so relaxing for touring day in and day out. Short cranks fit in a smaller nose.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  21:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a couple of articles online recommending crank lengths for recumbent riders. Take your overall height and then put your back and butt against a wall, measure from wall to your foot with the foot straight up, subtract the seated measurement from standing measurement. Go to chart to see what crank length. My crank length should be 150 mm to 145 mm.

I also saw a sliding crank length changer. Loosen the bolt and slide it to the crank length you need. Another company sells these:http://365cycles.com/ride2-crank-arm-shorteners-for-23-28mm-wide-9-16-arms.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImL-u0d7W2QIV0ISzCh2RmQa2EAQYAiABEgKpC_D_BwE . I read where a man and his wife have used these from the link for years on their tandem. He says that way he can can out the strokers pedals for the wife or two different kids.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  21:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those calculators are carp! Aure Bonneteau has the 2nd fastest bent hour distance ever(35.3 mpg!). He is 6'6" and uses 130mm cranks. I can quote the world's fastest bent riders and their crank lengths are all over the map. There are many factors that affect what length is best for you. Try some sizes and use what works for you
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  06:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I know is, going from 172.5 to 150, my knees nor my hip hurt now. I did not notice a difference in my cadence either, using the same size chain ring also. I think it is a personal thing. I rode the Baron yesterday with those 172.5 cranks and my knees are sore and my right hip is tight. With the 150 cranks, I experience neither of these.

I think I found out like most people have found out, my tail box on the Baron does not really increase the speed. I took it off and managed the same speed as I did with it on. It sure feels a lot lighter on the hills.

Edited by - Jerry on 03/06/2018 06:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  17:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good observations all around.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  18:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the new cranks on and the front derailleur working properly. I rode it around the neighborhood for 4-5 miles. Of course like a dummy that I am, I had to throw in a couple sprints after riding too hard yesterday. I think I will sleep well tonight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000