New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Carole
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  21:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh Gieschen, a student from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, broke the current U.S. Collegiate HPV speed record Saturday morning September 14, 2019 at Battle Mountain Nevada. The prior record, 61.29 mph, was set by Mike Prime of U.C. Berkeley in 1993. The new record is 63.6 mph with legal wind (less than 3 meters per second). The bike, Ambition, was entirely designed and built by Cal Poly students.

The team did not compete at the ASME HPV races this year, opting instead to build a fast bike specifically for the World Human Powered Speed Championships (WHPSC). The bike conformed to ASME safety standards including rollover protection, safety harness etc. It survived a crash that included 2-1/2 barrel rolls and a bit of flying with just scratches on the fairing. The rider was not hurt.

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1528 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  22:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulation to Josh and Cal Poly! Too bad they didn't have a time for him when he crashed. Hopefully the team will be back next year so I can see them run in person.
Go to Top of Page

Carole
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  11:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The crash happened in the catch area so they did get a time for him: 63.6 mph. He had faster runs (up to 66 mph) but the 63.6 run was his fastest with legal wind.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1528 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  13:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carole. I saw that the time wasn't given on a FB post. Glad they got the time and survived the crash! I saw the video of the crash and the 66 mph run too. I hope they come back next year and break the 70 mph barrier.

Edited by - Jerry on 09/23/2019 13:41:16
Go to Top of Page

prime
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  17:45:23  Show Profile  Visit prime's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats to Josh and Cal Poly!

Mike Prime
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000