www.recumbents.com - Kid carbon bike done!
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Kid carbon bike done!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  16:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe it's done, but I think it's done. I was surprised that it came through at 21.2 lbs. That's a real weight, with pedals, as seen in the photos. I'll stick fenders on it, so it'll be 23 when she's riding. That's at least 6 pounds lighter than her other recumbent, and about 8-9 pounds lighter than her trike. That should matter, since she weighs like 62 pounds and she's skinnier than I am.

It's cold and windy here, and the kid was making a Roman arch out of rice crispy treats today, so she hasn't had a chance to try riding it.

I did! Well, I sat on it and rolled down the sidewalk with it. Holds a line really well even with my screwey weight distribution (my calves were propped up on the pedals).

The finish is what she asked for, translucent gold. She has named it Goldfang. Now I just have to make 2 more, one a bit bigger, one a bit bigger yet. Wheelbase on this is 105cm, so only 2cm short of what I ride with the Azub mini. She barely fits it at this point, so it's just as well I didn't finish it any sooner. The seat is all the way forward and the boom is all the way in. There's no crank interference but of course she'll have heel strike. I get that on mine even, and I've never understood why it freaks some people out so much. I've never given it a second thought. Anyway, fun project, learned a lot, which I'll apply to the next couple. After that I'll probably retire from making and RIDE.

It's running a 3x9 drive train, 50-39-30 up front, 11-32 in back. XT hubs front and rear with TRP Spyke brakes. Crankset is a custom job (ordered Origin 8 cranks and a generic crankset off ebay, stole the rings off that, and I'll sell the empty cranks back...). Rims are simple and nearly bombproof Sun CR-18s. BB and headset are also Origin 8 specials.

Idler is a cheapo derailleur jockey from China, but it gets very little force so I don't think it'll grind up too quickly. If it does, I'll order something heavier duty from t-cycle or velomobiles.nl.

--SpiderMonkey

Edited by - SpiderMonkey on 02/29/2020 16:05:28

ElectricStreamliner

Australia
93 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  00:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's awesome, lucky kid you have there!
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

432 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  07:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice piece of work, Seth! Last thing needed is SPIDERMONKEY headbadge!
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

432 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  07:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice piece of work, Seth! Last thing needed is SPIDERMONKEY headbadge!
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  10:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I need to buy one of those vinyl cutter/printer dealies.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  13:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spidy; Do you have a logo?

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  13:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not for this one yet, but I made a nice one for my wife's bike that I never did get printed. As a reformed art historian / visual arts / photographer / design type, I've always got one on the tip of my brain.

I was hoping someone at work would have a cricut or similar, but no one did. Didn't really want to spend the money (well, less about the money than having yet another device cluttering up the house...)

Oddly, I also had trouble finding online vinyl cutting from a design file. Maybe I have crappy googlefu.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  14:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cybil tried the bike for the first time today. (She was too tired to do a real ride, she said, because she'd just tap danced for 2 hours.)

https://youtu.be/QsP3fncCbN4

It's clear that the bike is a lot easier to handle than her LWB. On that one, she's correcting the steering all the time. This one rolls a straight line better, though it's a slightly twitchy with her weight so far forward at this point. I figured that would be the case, but she has no trouble keeping it going, and she can already get her leg up and start no problem.

--SpiderMonkey

Edited by - SpiderMonkey on 03/01/2020 16:09:55
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

432 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  16:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use the 3d printer if you can change color strands midmodel.
Go to Top of Page

purplepeopledesign
recumbent guru

Canada
711 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  18:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That idler looks like a rear derailleur jockey wheel. Will that survive stress from the drive chain?

:)ensen.

Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.

Video of my trike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSLRD_2vzc
Photos of my trike
http://www.flickr.com/photos/purplepeople/
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  19:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a vinyl cutter. If you can send me your logo as an SVG file, I can do it directly to vinyl now. If you only have the logo as a jpeg, I can easily convert it. This would be for free. If you can wait a few months, I can do you an etched stainless steel or carbon fiber head tube badge that will conform to the radius of your head tube.

and videos

Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  19:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went back and looked at your photos. Probably be better to use the top of the boom tube for the logo/badge location.

and videos

Go to Top of Page

strayray
Warren

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  19:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!!! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences along the way.
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  07:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a super generous offer, Garrie, thanks. I've got an SVG of the nameplate for Jen's Upwrong already, if you'd do that one. I can make something up for Cybil. These are individual bike names. Maybe I need a "Spidermonkey's Halfassed Carbon Labs" logo.

I will find the SVG of this one. I 3d printed it 1/2mm thick in gold (to contrast the dark blue of the bike) and was going to try gluing it to the fork legs (flattish) but they're not as flat as necessary for something this, and PLA melts so easily I just skipped it.

Since none of the surfaces on the bike are 100% flat or reliably round, vinyl's probably the safest choice, although I suppose there are glue solutions that could maybe help out.

quote:
Originally posted by Garrie L Hill

I have a vinyl cutter. If you can send me your logo as an SVG file, I can do it directly to vinyl now. If you only have the logo as a jpeg, I can easily convert it. This would be for free. If you can wait a few months, I can do you an etched stainless steel or carbon fiber head tube badge that will conform to the radius of your head tube.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  07:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also made a bit of a show 'n' tell video:

https://youtu.be/o6Ef308G0Hg

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  10:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spid;

OK, when you are ready, email the files to garrie at recumbents dot com. Make sure you tell me what height x width you want.

and videos

Go to Top of Page

carolina
human power supergeek

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  11:30:27  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
incredible, wow!

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  06:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I could never have gotten this done without all the inspiration and examples you've put up on the boards over the years. I learned everything about building with CF on this site. I learned everything about designing steering and solving chainline and other issues from you folks on this site. Most of all, I learned that it's not rocket science, and you just need to give it a try. I went from a guy who didn't know how to properly repair a carbon-fiber stem to building entire bikes with your help.

Now, let's see if the bikes hold up!

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  10:17:31  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great! I don't think you will have any issues with the durability because you have erred on the side of overbuilding a bit, which is fine for us home-builders.
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  18:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/7TcT5GWwrSo

Took a first real-ish ride with Cybil today on her new bike, about 8 miles.She told me to retire her other recumbent. Looks like I need to move the seat back 1cm or so too. She's got zero issues with it, as seen in the video.

Well, except her left hand isn't strong enough to twist the shifter to get into the big chainring. I re-ran housing trying to smooth out the curves, but I may just put some thumb levers on.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  11:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We haven't been able to do as much biking as usual with the lockdown. Trails are packed with noobs who can't hold a line, walk 3 abreast, etc. So, yesterday was the first day Cybil did more than 8 miles or so on Goldfang. We did about 20, with a picnic along the way.

It was a bit of a challenge, as we were on some gravel for a couple km and this bike isn't as springy as her steel SWB was. Her feet are up higher than they used to be as well, which is scary on gravel at first, as I think we all remember. We had to stop and let some air out of her tires since I'd over-inflated them. They're also Marathon Supremes, so not ideal for gravel. She tipped over on one startup as she didn't get a good line to start, was headed for a couple potholes at low speed, jack-knifed, and flopped. That ticked her off.

But she reported during the ride that the bike was much easier to handle, even bouncing on the gravel. "It's like it self-corrects on bumps," she told me. "It straightens itself out on its own. Bananee [the LWB] would bump and turn itself like 20 degrees and I'd have to fix it all the time."

So, I think I got the steering right.

She liked much better the sections of smoother trail or the long downhill on the road when we had some nice new pavement. She even clipped in a couple times, though that'll take some more miles for her to get confident - especially with twisting out. She was clipped in a lot on the LWB, and always on her trike, but it's different feet up high on an SWB, that's for sure, especially with all the trail traffic.

--SpiderMonkey

Edited by - SpiderMonkey on 06/01/2020 11:15:41
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6602 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2020 :  15:08:01  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! It's always good to hear when a big project is a success!
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  06:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised there haven't been any real issues. The only thing that needed doing was making the keeper plastic sleeve on the idler tighter so the chain couldn't bounce off to the side and drag.

Also good I made it plenty adjustable. Kid grew almost an inch in the last 2.5 months.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000