Finally got a velo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  23:58:42  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally got a velo that Iím not afraid to chop up and make modifications to. I got this from Craig Prather in Florida for $2250. It is BlueVelo Quest #QB007.

It was in an accident a few years ago and repaired by the owner. He did a fairly decent job. A few things are off that are minor like proper placement of the brake lights. It has other issues that Iíve been tackling. The paint job is done poorly because it was used for long-distance rides on a track and the person that owned it just wanted to roll on and spray on some color.

I have now gotten it to shift better for me and opened up the fairing so that the long cage derailleur can move freely and shift in a wide range of gears properly. Upfront is a triple chain ring, the biggest one being 60 tooth. It also has the Schlumpf Mountain Drive.

We have close-to-flat riding on almost 150 miles of dedicated bicycle trails plus some super steep hills in the foothills and mountains. It also gets incredibly hot here, for example today was 109į. I went ahead and committed the crime of adding a large cooling intake scoop up front today. It will get bodyworked and then the entire thing will get repainted, probably in the Fall after things start to cool off. I want to get used to riding it and decide if I want to make other changes as well. I will fabricate a new cover for the rear derailleur portal also.

I did some minor cut outs so that when I get out my thighs donít scrape the front edge of the portal so badly. Iím a larger guy and itís a tight fit, but it all works.

Iíve attached a few pictures of the Velo and some of the modifications Iím starting to make. I will update this from time to time with changes.

Itís so nice to finally have my own velomobile!

I decided to just load the pics from one of my own websites so that it would load more easily. Pics:

This shows QB007 as I purchased it. I'll be making several modifications to it over time. The race cap will have the visor modded to have factory style stiffeners at the side of the clear for better form.

This is me as I hopped in to take it for its first ride this morning. The goofy green knee socks work well to protect my calves from chafing against the inner wheel wells.

I like the aftermarket rear derailleur for its ability to handle the large 60T chain ring and lower gears, but it could not function properly. I removed fiberglass to allow it to move properly. I will be making an adapted cover for it by extending the factory cover.

This shows the cut.

I cut out some of the portal's edge to clear my thighs as I climb out. I will also make some clearance cuts for my shoulders for greater comfort.

I will be frequently riding in temperatures that are over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I need extra cooling for the motor, me. I used a NACA duct design and shaped the upper edge on the inside with balsa wood and fiberglass to ease the air inward at the top with reduced turbulence.

I primered the NACA duct today. It still needs finer bodywork with spot putty and finer sandpapers.

My plan is to refinish the entire velo this Fall. It may take on the appearance of the State of Arizona's flag... we'll see.

I'm a sculptor and painter, so this thing may get even more wild. ;)

Jeff in Tucson

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 05/31/2020 21:26:20

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
961 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  03:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to have you back! It seems your streamliner did not work out quite as you planned it?

By the way, I don't think that you need a 'naca duct' on 'leading edge' surfaces. A simple hole will work just as well, you need a nace duct on a surface that is more or less parallel to the flow - it's a low-drag alternative to a *scoop*.
It will not magically decrease ventilation (ducting) losses just by being a 'naca duct', unfortunately...
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  10:33:37  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balor

Great to have you back! It seems your streamliner did not work out quite as you planned it?

By the way, I don't think that you need a 'naca duct' on 'leading edge' surfaces. A simple hole will work just as well, you need a nace duct on a surface that is more or less parallel to the flow - it's a low-drag alternative to a *scoop*.
It will not magically decrease ventilation (ducting) losses just by being a 'naca duct', unfortunately...

Yes, but it looks cool. Ha ha!

The streamliner that I built actually worked great except that during its first ride a huge gust of wind came out of nowhere, pushed me over into a pole, and shattered it to pieces, damaging my knee. Itís finally feeling good as a ride again. That got me thinking in the direction of three wheels.

Well, the first ride in the Quest out of the neighborhood was interesting! Glad that I finally got there. Barely was able to ride out of the neighborhood with the tires spinning in the gravel and the speedbumps posed no problem. Coming back was a different story. Absolutely not possible to ride up the gravel hills on the way back. The front shifting remains unusable with the chain jumping off whether I try to shift to the lowest gear or the biggest gear. The problem is that it has the wrong shifter cage and in the wrong position. The other issue is I learned that Iím going to make radical changes. Iím going to widen the area between the wheels by about 4 inches and widen the area where my arms are by about 4 inches (they really press hard against the sides). To keep the width less of a problem, I might even have it become an open wheel Quest with the wheels being 4 inches further apart. Benefit is no more contact with the legs inside and improved handling. That will make it far more comfortable, better for me to apply power to the pedals, and much easier to get in and out. I might even have the portal cut much larger so that my arms actually are to the wind, open, and basically even with the faring but not sticking out far. I would then make a larger cap for use in winter. Iíll have it finished by Fall. This is exactly why I wanted to buy a used one, so that I could make major adaptations if I needed to. Itís going to become quite custom!

Even when I am at my skinniest, I can barely fit into a size 36 waist jeans. Being wide has its challenges! Right now my shoulders are at 28 inches wide and I squeak right into the Quest with no room left. Watching me get out of the thing is like watching a rhinoceros give birth to a walrus. The Lunatic Fringe 2.0 streamliner that I built years ago had a very open cockpit and it was fast as Hell. It will be fun to see how this thing turns out. It will probably only look minimally like a quest after Iím done with it!

Jeff in Tucson

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 06/04/2020 17:23:23
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
961 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  03:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally feel your pain about being 'plus sized'!

Once I'll play around with my velo, I think I'll be trying solving the wind steer issue - I think I've got the idea how it works (side force + trail -> strong and unexpected steering input) and have ideas how to solve that w/o getting rid of trail and maybe make a faster, lighter HPV that would be able to be piloted even for an oaf like me - but that would have to wait untill I'll get my own workshop...
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
961 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  03:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"inward at the top with reduced turbulence."

And that is actually harmful.
For cooling purposes, you want air as turbulent as possible - hence using a small fan not just force the air at you and help with circulation, but to 'turbulize' the air is a very good idea.
Lookup how laminar and turbulent air affect heat transfer.

Edited by - Balor on 06/05/2020 03:40:32
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6539 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  07:43:47  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NACA duct looks great on there Jeff, congrats on your acquisition!
Go to Top of Page

carolina
human power supergeek

USA
1354 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  15:11:30  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

where would you put a naca on a velo balor???

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
961 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  15:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carolina

quote:

where would you put a naca on a velo balor???

velosRus.com

Frankly, I've yet to truly tackle that specific challenge.
My main goal is to have a shell that is both heat-reflective and heat-isolating (foamshell sandwich with a layer of foil on top).
I'll certainly have a fan (PC server fan) to blow air at me for climbing and I'll have an open cockpit - at least for now, that should be enough.

I do intend to play around with a couple of RC EDFs that can actually generate up to 1kg of thrust each :). Those babies can blow!

Anyway, I *suspect* that a EDF installed at trailing edge and run at low power may not just add (little) propulsion, but improve aerodyanamics - I'm not talking about boundary layer suction, but about air circulation in and out of holes in the fairing.

Frankly, this is likely an insane idea, but testing it in CFD is a herculean task so I intend to test it in practice and intend to have fun doing it :)

Bonus points - my velo will not look like something aerospace, but sound like that too :)
Go to Top of Page

Jeroen s
Starting Member

Netherlands
32 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  05:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lip around the entrance hole has a structural role, so if u start cutting there, u need to find another solution to deal with those forces. That is giving the rider something to lean on while getting in and out and torsional ridgidity of the body.

If u start structural improvements on such a major scale and with the experience u have of building with fibers, i would also improve some other things. The alu crossbrace/coathanger. These can break, and are a less than optimal part. Also the outer mounting point of the swingarm can break and is also more complicated then needed. If u widen the body, then i would ad a full hoop around the inner side near the start of the rear wheelwell and incorporate a better mounting point for the swingarm in that. Some kind of brace/hoop connecting both front wheelwells is also a good idea. I will provide a major improvement on the ridigidty of the contruction.

I would also look at the chainline. A dual idler setup could be a solution to get a much stiffer drivetrain, one nearer to the rearwheel than the current one. The DF,Alpha 7 and newer Milans might provide some inspiration.

Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  12:11:12  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeroen s

The lip around the entrance hole has a structural role, so if u start cutting there, u need to find another solution to deal with those forces. That is giving the rider something to lean on while getting in and out and torsional ridgidity of the body.

If u start structural improvements on such a major scale and with the experience u have of building with fibers, i would also improve some other things. The alu crossbrace/coathanger. These can break, and are a less than optimal part. Also the outer mounting point of the swingarm can break and is also more complicated then needed. If u widen the body, then i would ad a full hoop around the inner side near the start of the rear wheelwell and incorporate a better mounting point for the swingarm in that. Some kind of brace/hoop connecting both front wheelwells is also a good idea. I will provide a major improvement on the ridigidty of the contruction.

I would also look at the chainline. A dual idler setup could be a solution to get a much stiffer drivetrain, one nearer to the rearwheel than the current one. The DF,Alpha 7 and newer Milans might provide some inspiration.

I'm definitely considering fairing stiffeners as I chop away at things. ;)

I'm thinking about having the portal open more like the Milan does, plus a hatch above the pedal area for easier adjustments.

Before I widen the area between the wheel wells I'm going to see how far forward I can shift myself and see how much calf-strike I can eliminate. If that eliminates most, I *might* just trim the inner wheel well area a bit to reduce it even more. Widening the area between the wheel wells is within my skill set, but I don't mind avoiding unnecessary work. Hah!

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  12:13:19  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

NACA duct looks great on there Jeff, congrats on your acquisition!

Gracias!

Thanks for checking out the post/pics. Velo-madness is underway.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Dana Barlow
recumbent enthusiast

327 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  16:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Dana Barlow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Going back some time ago,on my own streamliner,the air intake when I redid it,added a sliding plastic sheet hooked to small cable,it let me close off part or all of intake. Just passing along something I in in the 1980s,that gets missed. I like what your doing,nice and looks fun.

Dana
Team Strange
"Strange One","Too Strange","Strange Try"
Miami Fla.

Edited by - Dana Barlow on 06/08/2020 16:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1528 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  20:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff you could cut out the fender wells and use spandex to help keep the wind out until you make them solid again.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  12:08:57  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, things have changed a bit...

My buddy, John Abbey (Air Moose on bentrider), wanted to trade his barely used Steintrikes Interceptor for my Quest. He already has a Quest that he rides approximately 4.5 hours daily, but wants to make a lot of mods. He doesn't want to lose riding time, so he'll mod my Quest instead.

I already am a fan of Steintrikes products. I have their fully suspended low rider racer, the Speedy F/S.

This Interceptor has the Mungo trike inside with an awesome suspension. I weigh a lot at 265 pounds, was bottoming out the Quest, and was getting ready to convert the Quest to open-wheel with the wheel wells moved about 5" outward so that my calf muscles could pedal freely. I had begun to modify the top with a large hatch cut-out so that I could enter/exit more comfortably. Even with the large cut-out and hatch, the structure was quite stable. I was going to add an arcing reinforcing rib to make sure that no extra flex happened while riding.

My mods mean nothing to John since he has a mold for the top section anyway, plus he's doing his own different mods.

I fit into the Interceptor very well up front with no leg issues. The remaining issue is to free up space for my arms at my sides to more comfortably handle the steering. I will be cutting an opening in the lower tub for my arms to protrude, plus kicking the bottom edge of the top section outward to still have shade over my arms. I will be able to move my arms outward to point if I want to turn, etc. I might even make the opening large enough so that I can just reach out to press crosswalk buttons at intersections... we'll see.

I will also cut openings into the clear Lexan in the sides so that I can communicate with other riders more easily.

I'll be cutting foot holes into place, right away.

I already have a set of aero mirrors to install and I'll re-install the two missing canopy rods that the previous owner removed. That will allow me to put it into the forward position as level. That allows for the canopy to be forward, open, and level, on long uphill climbs while still being able to see what is ahead. That may be handy on hot days. It already has a cooling port in the nose that has a duct to deliver fresh air to the pilot's windscreen area.

As I do those mods, I'll start a new post that shows those changes.

I have planned to use my velo mostly on bike trails and this Interceptor will work better for that. It turns a lot more sharply and is easier for a big guy like me to use. Wahoo!

I think that this may be the only one in the country. Bring on the fun!

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1528 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2020 :  11:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Steintrike Interceptor. Looks cool!

Edited by - Jerry on 06/20/2020 11:34:03
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2020 :  10:20:26  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

I like the Steintrike Interceptor. Looks cool!

Thanks! I've got some of the original polyurethane color coming so that I can be close to a color match for the minor body changes/repairs that are coming soon. I like this red color... it SCREAMS in the sunlight.

I might add a high chroma medium blue accent graphic so that it viually vibrates. A visual vibration, like these colors, will increase safety and the funky factor. ;)

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000