Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  09:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that's why Garrie always smells so nice!
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  15:20:49  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

So that's why Garrie always smells so nice!

Hah!

Garrie's idea about anti-itch works well. I don't have the air tools and compressor anymore, so I'm just using cheap electric sanders. I'll only itch a few days' worth which is fine at the el-cheapo way I'm building this thing. ;) 'Got a cheap $59 belt sander that knocked things down REALLY fast. Hah!

Jerry, you're right about your concerns about the shape o' the fabric at the shoulder point. I came up with an idea for partial spars there and at the front of the dash-board to help with that. I'll show what I came up with later. Basically, shorty-spars that are about 10" that serve as a guide, probably foam with 'glass over it.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 01/29/2018 15:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  20:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting to see how you plan to get in the thing.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:54:57  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

I'm waiting to see how you plan to get in the thing.

Yep! The spar underneath the highest is the highest that I can throw a leg over. The highest spar is actually the high spot on what will be cut into a hinged door. ;)

When I was in PVC only phase I climbed in and out multiple times to verify that it was do-able and comfortable.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  19:30:07  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I added a couple of front vertical spars and sculpted some foam real quick-like, forming the rest of the vertical spars that lead down from the dash spar to the front edge of the seat.

The foam spars are purple/pink. I painted them with a white acrylic paint to prevent the polyester resin from melting the foam.

All is now under fiberglass. There is a bit more strengthening to do but it feels good to see the shape. The storage area is yet to come and the head fairing needs to be done.

Ah, progress!

I started with my super-comfy full suspension mid-racer bent at 46-47 pounds. It currently weighs 46 pounds under the front wheel and 23 pounds under the rear wheel to equal 69 pounds, so far. I expect another 5-8 pounds to be added.

It's already much easier to pick up than Lunatic Fringe 2.0 was.

---

---

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfsQNW-4Sg

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  22:24:13  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I reinforced the outermost edges that would hit the ground when the bike falls over. A few ounces there is better than having to remove fabric to do a repair. ;)

I also was able to remove the width-jig at the front of the lowest spar. The vertical spars now prevent it from being able to flex in any direction. Cool!

I also strengthened the uppermost spar at its mid-section where it will become the top of the doors. That is needed to help maintain its curve after it is cut from the framework. I also strengthened where the rear most part of the upper spars intersect at the seat.

---

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  18:50:28  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A big day today!

I hosed the bike down then built a storage area in the tail. I was going to build permanent storage behind the seat but found some panniers and luggage rack bag that will work great, meaning that I can ride around without the extra storage most of the time. I'll be able to clip in the panniers when I need to and be able to access from under the head fairing and seat access openings.

The storage box is made from a single layer of 1.5 oz mat with the corners reinforced with a layer of mat.

---

---

I cut the upper door spars off so that I can begin the process of making the doors. The video link shows how easy it is to hop in. Wahoo! I still fit! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pt-VTJqkBs

---

---

---

The pic with the ruler is for study to show height that I need for the head fairing behind my aging noggin.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/05/2018 18:59:40
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
137 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  00:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the good work Jeff. I am really enjoying watching your progress.

Stix

Peregrin on Birk (Birk Comet RT with full fairing)
Lightning F-40 (built around R-84 frame)
Soma Smoothie Upright
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1069 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  16:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here I thought you were practicing for the Summer Olympic Javelin throw! Looks good.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  20:26:34  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hah! Thanks, Stix and Jerry!

Today I began to sculpt the head fairing. After I fiberglass it tomorrow, I'll probably adjust the angle of the Flevo roof mounting area. I may also lower the fairing at the rear, but I need to get to a light piece of fiberglass first. I cut some pieces of foam to form the shape and will dial it in. After the fiberglass goes on, the foam structure will be pulled out.

This photo shows how I cut slits in the foam panels to make it easy to curve.

This shows the overall shape after capping the curved box with 3 foam panels, shaped with an electric belt sander. ;)

The holes that you see in the foam are from the cyanoacrylate glue. I don't fret over the melting. It's just used as support for fiberglass... and it sets up fast.

This shows the foam shape sealed with white acrylic paint, then coated with green PVA release. I wanted to knock this out today and fiberglass it, too, but it would have rushed things too much. It's dry now and will be ready in the morning.

That's it for tonight... 'time to hit the Horseshoe Grill down the street and get some smoked wings!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  19:53:26  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Making 'head way'.

The head fairing is now fiberglassed and sanded. It won't take much to finish the prep and paint. It is really light. I sanded the Bondo while it still had the foam form underneath for rigidity.

I used the figerglass part, that was previously used for a Flevo roof, as a form instead of grafting it into the new fiberglass since I'm using polyester and it is made with epoxy. It worked well.

After sanding the body putty (thin application), I saw that I had sanded through the fiberglass very slightly in about six places. Perfect! I'll add a few dime-sized pieces of fiberglass from the under side tomorrow to seal the holes.

The head fairing that you see being sculpted will actually be attached to a panel that is underneath it, covered in duct tape. It will serve as storage for large bulky things, like a camping sleeping bag, or 1970's disco pants and afro wig.

This shows one layer of 1 1/2 oz fiberglass and polyester over the form:

This shows about 1 pint of Bondo applied over its surface:

About 70 percent of the body putty was sanded off with an orbital sander while the foam form was still inside.

This shows the foam form as a pile of garbage after removal and one of the small holes that I sanded through the fiberglass:

The empty part:

Look at the sunlight shining through there... THIN!

Sanded and lookin' good.

---

---

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/09/2018 22:07:50
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  18:18:17  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LunaticFringe 3.0 Streetliner has a new way to get around!

It took all day to drive up to Phoenix, buy the trailer, license it, then drive back to Tucson, but it was worth it!

For the last month, I've been keeping a look out for a trailer that would be heavy duty enough to carry the Harley, bounce over rough terrain when towing the dual-sport KTM motorcycle, and small/convenient enough to load the streetliner bicycle onto it for regular jaunts to the launching pad at our town's 130 mile long dedicated bicycle path.

I found this one to suit all needs for only $600. Wahoo! It has leaf springs for a suspension, car tires for an easier pull on the highway (instead of those teeny-tiny little tires that are used so often on motorcycle trailers), and a loading ramp with dual feet ramps for balance as the motorcycles are ridden onto the platform. I bombed back to town, hustling with traffic down the highway at 85 mph with no issues, as if the trailer wasn't even there.

This is the trailer that I'll use to bring LunaticFringe 3.0 out to hit a few races with you guys.

I'll make a minor adjustment to the plate that holds the spare tire so that it won't interfere with the streetliner's front fairing, then paint it all, probably a bright satin orange. I have a good, secure place to park the trailer alongside the house in the RV parking area, but this will do for tonight.

It's time to take the fiancee out for some dinner and relax. Aaaaaah.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1708 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  20:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff;

“..... loading ramp with dual feet ramps .... “ . Not sure I follow you, there. Explanation/photos?

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  20:43:24  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garrie L Hill

Jeff;

“..... loading ramp with dual feet ramps .... “ . Not sure I follow you...

I am currently out at dinner. I will post a photo for you, probably tomorrow. If you look at the picture I posted, you can see one main rail is bolted on the passenger side of the trailer on the platform. That one is for the tires of the motorcycle. On the driver’s side of the platform there are two long metal grates that serve as ramps for feet. I was going to post a picture for you from the Craigslist ad, but he has already taken it down.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  12:43:19  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Garrie, this shows the trailer with the center ramp for motorcycle tire use and the foot ramps to the sides (helps to keep feet down as you maneuver the motorcycle onto the platform). =)

This pic shows that I don't need to modify the mount for the spare tire, instead, I'll make a simple fiberglass mount that engages the front of the fairing on the streetliner with a hook underneath. That will allow me to place the bike with the fairing nestled into its mount and hook and it will stay upright while I strap it down.

Maybe it is time to add the bike's kickstand... holding it up with chairs is starting to get old. Haaaaaaaaaaaah!

Jeff

PS: Maybe it is time to take my Christmas lights down now. ;)

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/11/2018 13:05:28
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1708 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  17:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now that makes sense. Somehow I had a picture in my mind of a ramp with little Hobbit feet at the end ;-)

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1069 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  07:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting to look like a liner Jeff. Looking forward to seeing the speed and handling results. In cross winds I just lean my big old nogging into the wind. It is big enough to act like a keel! My nogging that is!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  11:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, are you sure it's not your tiny body?
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  13:46:56  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hah! 'Love this group o' guys.

It's a Blue Monday over here. I got to paint the fender last night, thinking that the whole enchilada would be done. I got delayed by a fellow that stopped by to buy an old truck that I had in the front yard.

Today it is way too windy to paint, even with Jerry's huge noggin leading the way. It's all sanded and ready to spray. Ah well, I'll just redo the lights and wiring this afternoon instead of tomorrow.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/12/2018 13:48:23
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  14:32:47  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Edit: For some reason, the forum's program repeated a post from above in this box. I removed it.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/14/2018 10:34:38
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1069 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  17:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom, my body is tiny now. I am down below 185 pounds. I haven't been this size since 1970 when I graduated high school. Not to worry, my old noggin is still the same size.

I like the color of that fender Jeff.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  15:02:15  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Except for the construction of the connection between the trailer and the streetliner's fairing, LunaticTrailer is now road worthy.

---

---

The trailer, right at home. Oy, no more trailers!

Not bad for a total $860 expense with licensing, paint, and wheel covers.

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/13/2018 16:41:07
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent enthusiast

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  18:11:40  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, since my last post, I ran off to Vegas to get married. Hah!

We got married in one of the cabins on the High Roller ferris wheel.
Meet Mrs. Amber Bales...

It's been cold and rainy, so work on the streetliner is sparse.

The head fairing is now attached to its base.

The outward facing surfaces of the spars are sanded and ready for a thin coat o' Bondo.

It will be cold the next few days, so sparse posts again.

---

This is just a silly time-lapse of me getting it done today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olbjU9IWOkg

Jeff

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 02/19/2018 18:25:28
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1069 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  18:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah baby, blame it on the weather! LOL!

And by the way, congratulation!

Edited by - Jerry on 02/19/2018 18:40:50
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6171 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  19:08:12  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Comgratulations, Jeff!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000