Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  10:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim FPU

I have no plans on producing any plans or a CD of this project. I will be creating a page on the WISIL site (I know Warren I keep saying this) with more details of the complete build including the drawings I used to create this project.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

JimFPU
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  11:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wans't expecting that, just at around 700 pics that's a lot to post!! LOL!

Infinity LWB
Various Atomic Zombie homebuilts
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  12:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Atualy I checked last night and there were 836 pictures in the velomobile directory.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  17:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to love UPS I got a shipment in tonight. Another 10 yards. Back to work,

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

JimFPU
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  08:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick what would you estimate the shell alone is costing?

Infinity LWB
Various Atomic Zombie homebuilts

Edited by - JimFPU on 04/22/2010 08:47:57
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  11:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JimFPU

7 sheets of foam $70
8 cans of spray glue $80
20 yards of 9 oz cloth @ $9/yd $189
1.5 gallon of epoxy and hardener @ $135/gallon $203

About $542 . Plus miscellaneous stuff like sandpaper, mixing cups $150

Say about $700 before finish and paint

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  14:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished adding one layer of fiberglass ti the inside of the shell. I also glassed over the reshaped areas at the wheel wells.

I next turned my attention to the top. I added a 1 x 1/2" piece of foam around the head opening. I used pieces of duct tape to hold in position while the glue set.

Once the glue set I started to round the foam over get rid of any sharp edges.

Next I need to add a layer of fiberglass to the newly rounded lip and the underside of the top.

Rick W

Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

864 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  15:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rickmantoo

JimFPU

7 sheets of foam $70
8 cans of spray glue $80
20 yards of 9 oz cloth @ $9/yd $189
1.5 gallon of epoxy and hardener @ $135/gallon $203

About $542 . Plus miscellaneous stuff like sandpaper, mixing cups $150

Say about $700 before finish and paint

Rick W

Rick,

Where are you buying your cloth? I usually get mine from http://www.uscomposites.com/cloth.html, so I pay about $6.50/yd.

Also, don't ignore shipping costs and taxes in your estimate if applicable. I find they can easily add another C bill or three depending on the size of the project.

As always, thanks for sharing. Still my favorite build log.

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  16:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raymond
I got the epoxy and the cloth from Wicks Aircraft. Foam and glue from Home Depot

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
recumbent guru

USA
603 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  19:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note on glueing foam. Foam joints glued with Gorilla Glue will shear the material before the glued joint will fail. The only problem I've encountered is that, when filing or sanding, the joint is tougher than the surrounding foam so it likes to stand proud of the surface.
Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

864 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  09:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer

Just a note on glueing foam. Foam joints glued with Gorilla Glue will shear the material before the glued joint will fail. The only problem I've encountered is that, when filing or sanding, the joint is tougher than the surrounding foam so it likes to stand proud of the surface.

That raises a question Rick, it is unclear to me how you bonded the foam planks to the sections originally. From the pic, and your BOM, it sounds like you used spray tack adhesive? I would not have thought that would hold well enough. Obviously it did

-Raymond

Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  10:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dreamer

I have tried different glues in the past and I want one that does not affect the sanding of the finished shape. One may have to sand all the way through the foam at some spot so a harder glue joint will not work for me.

Raymond
The 3M 77 glue is applied lightly to the both edges and allowed to sit for a couple of minuted before the edges are pressed together. Glue is also sprayed on the ribs and the back where the strips meet the ribs. One can not put the glue on too heavy because the carrier attacks the foam. I went through 8 cans with this project and only used 4 cans to build the F-n-L now Atilla streamliner.

One needs to be careful with the shell until the outside layer of cloth is epoxied on because the glue joints tend to be a little fragile. This is why I leave the inner skeleton in until after the outside has received it's cloth surface.

This is what I use and it works for me. There must be other and better products but I have not searched them out.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

864 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  15:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Rick. I can't tell from the pix whether you bevel the edges of the section to match the surface curvature or not. If yes, how do you keep everything aligned to the right shape and not get waves, and if no, how do you deal with the small bond area that results from planks just hitting one edge of the sections?

-Raymond
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  16:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raymond

When I did the F-n-L I used a cove and round over. On this project I used a hand sander and beveled each strip to fit. I think the cove and round over was a little less work but the shape of the streamliner did not have all the shape changes that the velomobile body has. Once all the strip are fitted I go over the entire body shape and blend everything in. That is why I want to be able to sand across the glue joints.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  13:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided not go to the races in Indy so I could work on the velomobile.

I sanded and added bevels to inside of the top to get it ready for a layer of fiberglass.

Here is a picture of a 45 degree bevel that I added to the underside of the lip at the head cut out. I still need to round the lip and blend it in.

Since I will be working on the top upside down, I added 3 pieces of duct tape from side to side to keep the top from spreading. I will only be glassing about 1/2 of the inside this time.

Here is a picture of the top after the fiberglass has been wetted out with the peal ply added.

I only did about 1/2 of the inside of the top because I noticed that I installed the hinge pins so I will not be able to remove the top without unbolting it. I want to be able to slide the top off the hinge pins to remove it. Here is a picture of the hinge pins as installed. They are pointing in opposite directions. I will reposition the front pin so it will be orientated toward the back like the rear pin.

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power supergeek

USA
1893 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  06:25:27  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Have you tried 3M 78 spray adhesive made for gluing EPS?

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  13:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony
No I have not seen 78, I will do a web search, Thanks.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  16:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony the 3M 78 looks like some good stuff. I will have to try it on the next project.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  17:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I did some clean up and the took a step backwards.
I first removed the peel ply from the inside of the top.

So far the top section is looking good, I test fitted it to the tub and the duct tape did it's job the alignment looks good, I then removed any epoxy that got into the body mounting bracket threads. I used a tap mounted to a drill driver.

I then removed the front hinge pin and reconfigured the mounting location.

I cleaned everything up and added carbon fiber and fiberglass. Here it is before I added the epoxy.

Next I will reattach the hinge pin.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  17:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight I bonded in the realigned front hinge pin plate.

I attached the hinges together on a piece of 1 inch square stock to help get the front hinge aligned with the back.

I then attached the hinge pin plate to the front hinge.

I mixes up a batch of flox and epoxy and stuck it all together.

Once this cures I will recheck the alignment of the hinges to the top and install the top mounting plates and also finish up the inside layer of fiberglass to the top. In the mean time I will work on some mods to the frame and seat.

Rick W

Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  17:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The front hinge plated bonded in very nicely, so now I need to transfer the location for the hinge mounting plates to the top of the body.

I attached the aluminum mounting plate to the hinge with longer bolts and sprayed the bolts with some paint to help visually with the locating.

I then used a couple of pieces of 1 inch foam to prop the hinge in a partially open position.

I then with some help gently placed the top on the lower section and pressed down lightly at the hinges. I then removed the top to reveal where the hinge mounting plates needed to be mounted.

I then carved out the foam so the mounting plates could recessed slightly. This is one of the reasons I did not glass the entire inside of the top.

Here is the mounting plate waiting for glass and epoxy.

Next I will finish glassing the inside of the top.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  16:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished glassing in the hinge mounting plated and glassing the remainder of the inside of the top. Here is the hinge pocket ready for epoxy. There is a layer of carbon fiber below the fiberglass layer at the hinge mounting locations.

Here is one of the mounting plates fully epoxied in.

Next I get to attach the top to the tub section and hopefully everything will work out.

Rick W

Edited by - rickmantoo on 04/29/2010 16:44:19
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  14:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a very nice day today so I opened the garage door to work.

I started out by opening the holes in the hinges from 1/4" to 3/8" to allow some adjustment. I use a Uni bit because it creates nice round holes.

I mounted the hinges to the top and left the mounting screws slightly loose.

I then slid the top on to the hinge pins in the tub section of the body.
Here is the top in the closed position.

Here is the top opened. I will have to attach some sort of cord to prevent the top from opening too far.

I tried for a while to get the hinges adjusted and had to get creative to get the job done. I placed the body on some saw horses and entered from the foot hole opening.
Here I am adjusting the front hinge.

I had to get back further to adjust the rear hinge.

It was tight but everything turned out great.

Next for the body is the sanding and body work. For the frame I still have several things to do the the seat and steering.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

vhclbldr

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  21:29:33  Show Profile  Visit vhclbldr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick,

About how much would you estimate the body/shell/top to weigh at this point, and I notice you are supporting yourself on the inner shell leaning on your arms while inside the vehicle. How sturdy is the bottom of the shell (it seems obviously strong enough to support much of your upper body weight)?

Jamieson
Builder of Tadpole Recumbent w/ Electric-assist
Bel Air, MD (USA)
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4857 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  07:14:58  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Notice his hand is carefully where you you can see the saw horse through the slot in the fairing. I'm guessing 35 lbs.

Edited by - warren on 05/04/2010 07:16:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000