Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

warren
human power expert

USA
6119 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  08:18:09  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a similar experience with wax. Comes off easily then chain gets rusty. Also gunks up the cassette gears. I prefer greasy leg, LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  19:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried Squirt Tony. I have close to a 1,000 miles on my chain since my last lube with Squirt.

Had my first ride in two weeks since I tore my calf muscle. It was a very easy ride. I had a roadie come up and pass me, and yes I wanted with all my heart to chase him down, but common sense finally kicked in, and I just let him go. Man, that was so hard to do. My leg feels a little stiff and sore. I guess I am already out of shape. Doctor had told me it could be 3 to 8 weeks before I could really ride, but just spinning easily would be ok.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  20:19:25  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a coroplast cover for the idler, no more black knee. I want to put another cog on the cassette, to make 9 speeds, but the suntour derailleur doesn't well shift onto the low as it is. Ive been riding to work on back, about 25 miles a day this week. Both my cars broke down last week, on the same day, alternator went out on the tracker and the engine cradle rusted through on the Saturn. Im debating whether to fix the Saturn.

How do the make the fairings hinge in the front? It seems to me that it would be hard to get it all lined up and sealed when closed.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/01/2017 05:53:14
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  14:17:27  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got the Cool Stop Eagle Claw pads mounted and aligned. They work well, easily skidding the rear tire. I laced up this wheel with a Diablo Salsa rim and 32 double butted spokes yesterday. I am planning on getting a new tire, Panaracer Pasela PT 700x38c

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/03/2017 14:20:31
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  13:40:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The official forecast for December has been revised, now that its cold here:

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/04/2017 13:42:15
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  06:26:43  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't think it was that cold out, but it feels like I got frostbite on the tip of my second toe. I won't be riding until I get some looser fitting shoes.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  13:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
39 here with a wind chill of 32. I am about to go for a short ride in the corovelo where it will be nice and toasty! The only thing that gets a little cold is the nose.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  17:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a change of plans. My 2 grandson's came over and wanted to ride the side walk on their scooters, so I put on my new roller blades and went up and down the side walk with them. We got in a little over a mile. First time on roller blades in about 12-13 years. Different muscle group from bike riding. Wind chill down to 30 with an actual over night temp of 25-27.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  06:45:20  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am putting the front fairing on. It taking longer than I thought, due to it being a SWB bike. It sits up higher than I like, due to the seat being 6 inches taller than the Carp (14 in vs 8 in). I should be able for the first ride this weekend. I haven't got a warm pair of shoes or boots yet.

Weather forecast call for warmer weather next week, but a plunge to 10F low and 20F High middle of Christmas week. Too cold for me to be riding from home.

I ordered some SPD high tops, not winter shoes per say, but a size bigger than I wear, enough room for thick socks.

700x38c tire should be delivered tomorrow.

At this point I am considering travel options.

Last night instead of working on the fairing, if fixed the generator. It was making a whirling noise and I found there was a small clearance were the bushing had worn. I clamped the end in a vice and peened the bushing once with a hammer and punch. This took out most of the looseness in the bushing. It seems to run smooth now, I'll test it on the next ride.
C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/14/2017 06:56:57
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  07:09:12  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tranportation:

I'll list here the options for NOT getting to the Natchez Trace.

Amtrak from Chicago to Jackson, Ms accepts bikes, either boxed as checked luggage or unboxed.

Unboxed has to fit in the hanging bike rack on the wall and can't have a fairing or panniers on it.

Boxed has to fit in the box, 70x42x8.5, < 50 lbs, so there is some disassembly needed, handle bars turned, pedals off, seat off, rear wheel off. Fairing would have to be flattened out.

Greyhound: Slow, takes too long. Same box problem as train.

Flying, there are no cheap flights this time of year, same box problem as train.

Driving, car is 440 miles from the other end, so how does one get back?

Cycling there: Forecast calls for cold weather that week.

Post "Ride Needed" on Craigslist.

... turns out there are several posts for rides from Chicago to Florida just before Christmas, via Nashville. Whether they'll take a bike is not known.

I hot glued zote foam to the sole of one shoe, to see if its warmer.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/14/2017 11:46:04
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  09:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, when I first considered riding the Natchez Trace, the best option for return transportation was renting a truck or van in Natchez dropping it off in Nashville or Franklin. Enterprise Rent-A-Car 601-442-4600, U-haul 601-445-1980, and Budget Truck Rental 601-445-2367.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  12:21:49  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually rode to the parking lot and back, without falling. The front I formed a conical tube of coroplast, the back is the old tail box. There is soot on the coroplast. I cut the top out so I can stand up.

I need to make the nose, somehow. Is there a program that would take a shape and output flat strips of coro to cut out and join?

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/14/2017 13:22:36
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  15:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the old Ed Gin method in Build/Tech? It works pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2940 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  17:21:41  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 12/14/2017 20:39:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000