2002 Barracuda-W HPV fairing building project
Barracuda Fairing Phase W

By Warren Beauchamp

After having completed the contemplation, design and redesign phases of the new Barracuda streamliner fairing, I'm finally ready to start building. Using the Odyssey Black Widow Cranks and a custom Phil Wood BB, I was able to constrain my pedal box to the point where I could keep the fairing profile expanding until about 60% of the fairings length (See the Q-factor page for more information about Q-factor and pedal boxes). This should keep the airflow laminar as long as possible. Because the resulting bike looks so much like Matt Weaver's Kyle Edge with a canopy added, this bike will be referred to as the 'Cuda W. See the Barracuda streamliner design Part 2 page for more information about the design of this fairing.
1/19/02
The first step was to create a full size side view of the template. I did this by transferring the fairing height numbers that I calculated from my scale side and top view drawings to a sheet of 1/2" particle board. I used particle board because it was actually flat, unlike most of the plywood I have seen. After plotting out the heights of the various stations at 2" intervals, I used the lofting technique of bending a fiberglass rod along the curve, and drawing the cut line along this lofted line. This technique smoothes out the irregularities caused by imprecise calculating and measuring methods. As shown in the drawing to the left, after cutting the top side, I used the scrap piece as the template for the bottom cut. Since I am only making half a fairing mold, it is very important that the mold is symmetrical. The station lines are at 2" intervals, because I will be building the plug out of sheets of 2" thick foam.
 
After cutting the template and reinforcing the back with particle board ribs to ensure it stays flat, I leaned it up against my current 'Cuda streamliner body for a comparison. As you can see in the picture, the new fairing is a couple inches lower, but the main difference is that the old fairing expands to maximum width in the first 3 feet of the fairing, while the new one has a much more gradual curve, and doesn't make it to max width until about 6 ft back from the nose.
1/26/02
After cutting big holes in the template to lighten it (7/8" particle board weighs a ton!), the next step was to begin cutting the rectangular foam stations out of the 2" foam, and gluing them to the template. I used 3M super 78 spray adhesive to glue the foam. The weights were to hold the foam down while the glue was drying. The foot box is the most critical area, as tolerances are very tight there. Because of that I cut the foot box profile from a template, rather than going by eye. The surrounding foam will be filed down to match that profile. The foot box template section is the back one in the picture to the right.
In this picture you can begin to see the profile of the fairing. So far I have used 1.5 4x8 foot sheets of foam.
2/09/02
I carefully drew profile guidelines on about every 5th station, and then cut them out with a jigsaw to aid in keeping the fairing symmetrical After a couple hours of filing the rest of the foam stations down to match the guide stations, here's the roughed in front half of the plug. I need to wait for warmer weather to do much more. It's time to start working on the drive train.
2/16/02
Here's the plug with the remaining foam stations cut and in place. 
This is more or less what the fairing will look like from the front. This was created by taking a picture of the roughed in half plug from the front and then mirroring the image. This fairing will have much more of a rounded front profile than the previous 'Cuda fairing. More shaping and measuring will need to be done to ensure the fairing shape is symmetric. 

The development of this fairing by Warren was stopped at this point due to outside pressures. 

Fortunately Reg Rodero has picked up the ball and is building the Cuda-W fairing from Warren's drawings. He is taking the time to do it right and I am very happy.

Back to the Barracuda Streamliner page