The Orion Speedtrike By Raymond Gage

Orion Speedtrike

Frame 2 By Raymond Gage
Latest Trike Fairings Frame 2 Integration CasaGrande
Aug 21, 2006 
I finally got the new 650c chassis all welded up. I call it that because I now use a 650c front wheel rather than a 700c on the old chassis, but there are a number of changes that were needed to update the chassis to the current vehicle design.

First, The 650c front wheel will allow for a much broader selection of riders. Since the fairing fits my body extremely closely, I am about the largest rider who could fit inside. With the 700c front wheel, a rider would need to have legs almost as long as mine to reach the pedals, so I am also just about the shortest rider who could fit. Add to that my smallish feet for my height, and I knew there would be problems.

The old chassis also had an alignment issue which I believe was causing a shimmy issue. So making a new frame took care of those issues. Also the design for the whole vehicle had evolved since the original chassis was built, and that meant that it no longer allowed quite as good a fit, even having a few interferences, and also resulted in the fairing being too nose up, which would add a lot of drag. 

The new chassis begins as a stack of parts that were CNC cut by Alex, to ensure good alignment and easy welding. 

Using square and rectangular section tubing greatly facilitates fixturing for welding. 
A final check on the overall alignment before welding. While I don't really have the proper equipment to check alignment to high accuracy, the good old eyeball check shows the new chassis to be far straighter than the previous one, and indeed is as straight as I can measure.
The new chassis and outrigger after welding. 
The new design incorporates a simpler gooseneck design, with a more robust "headtube" and additional positions to mount the intermediate shaft (the series of holes in the top member). It also features a longer "stinger" which will better integrate to the front fairing mount, and a rear extension for remote steering.
I've cleaned up and made more integrated the outrigger mount. The new design eliminates an interference with the tight rear end of the fairing the was encountered with the old chassis. I've also added a rear block which allows for fine tuning of the outrigger yaw angle, and incorporates the rear fairing mount. All fairing mounts will be through elastomeric isolators to help reduce fairing vibration, which can lead to increased drag. 
   
 


Ciao,

Raymond Gage

 


Back to the WISIL projects