Michigan HPRA race pictures June 23rd

Michigan Human Powered Vehicle Rally and HPRA Race pictures
held June 23rd & 24th, 2001
Race Report                 John Folts' race report

The first race was the unfaired 1 hour TT. Paul John, racing for the Challenge team on his Challenge Jester  trailed Sean Costin at a safe distance until the last 10 minutes of the race, then took off and won the race.  
Charlie Ollinger on his new LWB ultra low lacer, built by his Dad Thom. On this weekend, Charlie was beating up on the adults... 
Bill Lozowski races his Challenge Tai Fun.  
Dan Glatch on the Missile MkII, which was built by Len Brunkalla. Dan chose to race this time without the bug eyed "Piranha" fairing. The small rear wheel allows the bike to fit into the fairing.
Dave Johnson races the over the shoulder steel framed bike originally constructed for the Blood Sweat & Gears Streamliner. The bike was built by Rick Wianecke and Ed Gin.
David Caskie on his M5 low racer. David is a bike mechanic at Fools Crow Cycles, and brought a bunch of neat bikes with him to show and sell. 
Mike Leger races his M5 sans tailbox. Mike placed 2nd overall for the weekend.
Sean Costin sails around a corner on his Sam Whittingham built, front suspended, on the fly seat angle adjustable quasi low racer.
The start of the Faired class 1 hour TT. 
Warren Beauchamp takes a corner in the 'Cuda streamliner, followed by Jeff & Jane Hunn on their tandem, and Rich Myers riding MuleE2
Sharie Brick, in her newly painted pink Micro-Moby races along side Frank Lindley. John Simon in the red Moby prepared to pass them.
Jeff and Jane Hunn, on their Double Vision take a corner in the "short" race on Sunday.
This "practical" streamliner, fashioned after a fighter jet, participated in the practical vehicle competition. 
Jun Nogami (in stars and stripes) contemplates his partially faired Challenge Tai Fun, prior to attempting the 12 hour race.
Sean Costin, in the Coslinger special,  prepares to ride around the Waterford track, navigating by camera alone.
Sean found that a camera works great for a smooth road at 68MPH, but doesn't work as well when it's bouncing around on the rough and twisty Waterford racetrack. Sean is thinking about mounting a canopy in the top of the bike for his head to make it more practical to race at HPRA events.
Kevin Berls with his newly painted streamliner. this compact streamliner is very nicely finished, and fast, considering it's dimensional constraints. 
Here's Kevin's streamliner with the top up. Notice the spring loaded scissor jack that holds the top open. This allows him to start off, stop or ride slowly with the top up, and then close it easily. The top also tilts forward for ingress/egress.
Since the last races at Indy, Ray Brick painted both the outside and the inside of his wife Sharie's Micro-Moby streamliner in a pastel pink. Sharie added the window frillies... 
Rich Sadler's foam bodied home built gets more aero devices added every time I see it. They must work though, as he is riding faster too.


The racing finished, Jeff Potter gives the thumbs up after packing up the venerable WISIL Missile streamliner. 

Race Report

Last weekend was the Michigan Human Powered Vehicle Association HPV races and practical vehicle competition at the 1.4 mile Waterford Sportsman's Park race track. It's a very "technical" track, with twisties and a (relatively) big hill. 

The first race was the 1 hour time trial race. The non-faired classes raced first. Well, most people raced, some appeared to be just cruising and enjoying the beautiful weather. Sean Costin led the race up until the last 10 minutes or so, when Paul John decided to kick it into high gear and passed him. John kept increasing his lead and won the race, followed by Sean. I think Paul averaged about 24MPH for the hour

Next was the faired class 1 hour race. I raced the Barracuda streamliner, which I had modified last winter with a front suspension last winter especially for this track, which has slightly bumpy corners. Last year I could only take the corners at about 25MPH before the front end started to skip over the bumps and slide out. This year I was able to take the same corners at 30MPH, and still felt like the front end was connected to the pavement. I was able to win the race followed by John Simon, who races a 1984 vintage "Moby" streamliner. I did have one bit of excitement while passing another racer in the sharp corner at the end of the straightaway, where I went in the corner too fast and nearly went off the edge of the track into the gravel. I was battling to keep the bike on the last 3 inches of track, but just made it around by the skin of my teeth. I averaged about 30MPH for the hour. 

The next race was the hill climb, coast down, where you climb as fast as you can to the top of the hill, then see how far you can coast. Most of the stock class bikes all ended up in about the same spot on the first corner. The faired classes spread themselves out around the rest of the track. I coasted much farther this year than ever before, but was still beaten by John Simon by about 200 feet.

Paul Pancella put on an interesting competition, which tested a bike's practicality by putting each one through maneuverability, grocery bag carrying and slow speed trials. My bike was decidedly impractical, so I just watched. 

I camped at the race track along with about 10 other people. It was fun to socialize with other folks who are just as crazy about weird bikes as I am...

Steve Robson and a few other guys attempted a 12 hour nighttime ride on the track. It was cool to see the little puddles of light going around the unlit track. They made it about 6 hours, until the deer on the track, and the exhaustion of THE HILL made them decide it was prudent to stop. 

Sunday's races started out with the flying 200 foot sprints. The sprint started at the top of the hill and proceeded around a 90 degree corner and down the straightaway before hitting the traps. I thought I might have a chance against John Simon, but he went 42.8 on his first run, and 43.5 on his second, while I only went 42.1 on my first run, and slower on the next. In stock class the fastest guy was Frank Geyer, who went an amazing 37MPH on his M5 Shockproof. 

The last race was a "short course" 15 lap race which went around some sharp twisty corners and through the parking lot. In the non-faired race, Paul John won again, followed by Frank Geyer. It was a fun and exciting race for me as well, but I had to slow down for traffic in the corners, which allowed John Simon to catch me at the end, and beat me by a couple feet. John was actually following me so close that he bumped into me in one on the sharp bumpy corners, but I didn't notice it. Since I can't see anyone directly behind me, I didn't even know he was there (until it was too late!)

We had the award ceremonies (I won a can of pedal lube), and then it was back into the car for the long trip home. Fun stuff!

Back to HPRA racing