Reg Rodero HPV fairing projects
Reg Rodaro builds the Cuda-W fairing - Part 2 
Mold and Preparation Fairing Layup Tub Bike Construction Canopy & fairings
7/6/04
The first order of business was to establish the center line on the mold and scribe it permanently onto the flange. Second, I scribed the front bulkhead location at 19 inches from the nose. The BB is 27 inches back from the nose, so that should give room to swing the pedals and create a mounting surface for the drivetrain. The bulkhead will have one layer of CF on each side but I will build it up along the bottom where it will be bolted to. 
Next I made a paper pattern from which to cut the materials.
This is the first layer of 1.4 oz cloth skin coat. This layer is just to provide a smooth and sandable outer layer, with as little print though from the weave as possible.
There were 4 yards of the CF and Kevlar mix. I cut it in half to get two 6 foot lengths which I put in the center of the fairing. I then cut out the tips in CF to complete the layer. This completes the skin portion of the fairing.
7/10/04
I weighed the materials plus the core before the lay up. Just under 8 lbs for the half shell.
Here the skin coat is wet out plus the 2 layers of CF. You can see the Divinicell core between the 2 layers of CF in the nose and tail area. Then two 6 inch wide strips of unidirectional cloth under the 
4 inch Balsa core. The 3/8 Balsa is beveled to help the 4 additional layers transition back to the skin.
This picture shows the completed layup with 2 more layers of unidirectional fiberglass cloth and 2 layers of bidirectional CF cut on the bias.
Everything is vacuumed down. If you ignore the folds in the vacuum film you can see the core in the nose and tail and the 4 inch Balsa side structural member.
The pump held around 25 inches of vacuum!

The layup took 3 hours and it was somewhat complicated to get all these steps in one vacuum. The resin I had to use had a 6 hour pot life so everything went OK. 

I know how convenient WEST System epoxy is with the pumps and all but it would have been a disaster with this involved of a lay up. I chose to use MGS, a German Glider Epoxy. It is stronger and when heat
cured, meets German Aviation Standards.

I vacuumed the epoxy for 15 hours and then cured it in the oven at 120 F for 15 more hours. 

In light of past demonstrations by Sam and Rob I thought it appropriate that the Cuda meet these standards.

It's a keeper! This picture is a good shot of the cored areas. When I weighed the materials I must have included some of the core strips for the other half of the fairing, so the weight should have been around 6 lbs. 

The final weight was 9 lbs. I used 7 lbs of resin so the vacuum took out over half of the resin.

I was concerned about getting dry spots as the CF is difficult to tell when it is wet out so I used plenty of resin. Without the vacuum it would have been 14 or so lbs.

Here is the finished shell. I used PVA to reduce the gloss and make it easier to separate. 

You can hardly see the 1.04 oz skin coat but it will sand easily for painting. It has a very fine weave.
7/25/04
Reg has completed the second shell, and trimmed the flanges off. Here for the first time ever is a good look at the completed fairing shell. It looks very fast! 
Reg set the fairing next to his velomobiles to do a Rodaro Comparo. From these pictures you can get a feel of how low and narrow the new fairing is. The shading in this side view picture shows the gradual transition in body width and height over the length of the shell. It looks long because it's so low.
  
Now, on to part 3 - the tub bike construction...
  
 

Back to the WISIL projects